1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Ampeg Portaflex Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 25, 2008.

1. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    In my limited tube rolling with the 50T, I never turned up much of a difference. Now, in my Triprop running on KT88s, the new Mullards crush the Gold Lions.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In V1 I've tried the stock Ruby, JJ, new Tung Sol, old Raytheon from Japan made on Mullard equipment, GE and RCA gray plates, and I liked the Ruby and JJ better (personally I think these particular Rubys ARE JJ's). The differences in tubes were apparent but not as pronounced as other amps I have. But just like my other Ampegs, only the JJ and Ruby made it sound like Ampeg as defined by my 69 SVT whereas the others were too bright. Didn't hear a difference in any other slot, though that's how it usually works for me in any amp. So I say why spend extra money? Stick with what they come with :D

PillO likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    noeinstein likes this.
  4. I first read that as morality issues and had to think about it for a few minutes before re-reading. Need more coffee....

5. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Well that’s what they call it in the industry. With a proper burnin, these sort of issues should be weeded out.

Nothing worse than buying a tube that has an issue and not finding out about it until long after the return period. I have to admit, I’ve been bit by that and learned my lesson the hard way.

PillO likes this.
  6. RootCellar

RootCellar

Oct 5, 2018
    Aloha JimmyM, please add me. I picked up my first Portaflex from Guitar Crazy in Portland, OR in 1994. It was the week I moved to Maui. I believe it is a 1961 B-15N. It had an oversized EV speaker in it and the cage over the tubes was cut down in the middle so it could fit when the head was turned inside. I have replaced the speaker with a eminence beta 15 8 OH and replaced the tube cage. I grabbed a PF-500 in 2012 and a PF50T (with the mod to eliminate hum) when they came out. I also have a PF115LF and a PF410HLF cab. Kind of a fan. I have been saving for years with the dream of one day finding a Heritage B-15N. 14301CCA-4346-468F-BD9F-1D6EAE5FB36F. C345DE05-2A7F-4E9C-8A55-4831068AF00E.

Foxrock321, PillO, johnpbass and 8 others like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    #669 RootCellar

8. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Pic sent to me by a friend.

1FF22C21-521A-4431-A9A9-C27682597C49.

Anyone have any idea what year this would be?

Foxrock321 likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Anywhere from 65-67, and although that grillcloth is super cool, it's not original and the front panel is ruined by a crap paint job. Good luck to that shop trying to get $1500 for it.

johnpbass and crlujan like this.
  10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Note the Ampeg PF-350 head that they are selling for $199. It sells new with a warranty for $299.

johnpbass, PillO and Ric Vice like this.
  11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Agreed,
    They didn’t take the time to source
    the right OT, grill cloth or tray for the head. All of these can be easily purchased from Fliptops.net. I’d check
    that head out very carefully to make absolutely sure that it works properly.
    Just my take.

johnpbass and PillO like this.
  12. tom dicus

tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    GC has new PF50T for 900 bucks.
    Does this seam good? Is this an amp that can keep up with a small classic British rock band by using a 410?
    I'm looking for another amp for my collection.
    Thank you again everyone!

13. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Same price at Sweetwater. That’s the current price for a new one.

Whether it and a 410 can it keep up with a small band depends on how loud is loud. It should.

It’s a nice amp. The studio recording capability and DI are an added plus.

14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    He's going to have to change the name of the store to "The Starving Store Owner" if he keeps overpricing!;)

High Camp and beans-on-toast like this.
  15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    If you’re going FOH then it could possibly work. A lot would depend on the bands stage volume. I played
    Holiday Inn’s and Ramada’s with a B-15N with a Hammond B-3. The 4x10 will give you a lot of presence,
    but it won’t get loud. The PF50T has a EQ section based on the SVT so you can dial in better midrange
    definition. Based on my experience, I'd want at least 100 Watts RMS to do what your attempting. So
    the V4B might be a better choice, but it's heavier, more expensive, and larger. Something to consider
    I guess. Anoter option would be a used Guild Thunderbass Head. Granted, it ain't an Ampeg, but it
    sounds similar. Just my take.

16. tom dicus

tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    Your take is very much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    I have an SVT but was looking for something smaller as well as a backup amp. I may go with a porta flex 800.
    Thanks
    Tom

Ric Vice likes this.
  17. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Just played my new PF-350 (with Traynor 115; DI to FOH) at a gig for the first time last night, and it was a great experience. I'm really looking forward to my other gigs this weekend, thanks in no small part to this new amp.

I've played the PF-350 through an Ampeg 410 at the band's rehearsal space, but to my ears, there's something special about this amp with a 115. The (seemingly contradictory) blend of depth and clarity is wonderful; it's a sound I can feel and hear, even at a civilized volume level.

PillO and beans-on-toast like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    PF800 is my choice for a backup most of the time, although sometimes I bring the PF350 instead because it's smaller and I don't need high volume.

Ric Vice likes this.
  19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    That makes total sense to me. Smaller, Lighter, and way more powerful. Once again you get the benefit of an SVT styled Preamp. I owned a B-15N(C) since 1973 . Once I purchased a Walter Woods MI-100-8, it's remained at the house in my practice room. :D

P.S. I bought the Woods in 1980. :laugh: