1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Ampeg Portaflex Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 25, 2008.

1. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Wise words indeed, Jimmy. One of my Walter Woods amps started popping and crackling terribly, a little Deoxit on a cotton swab and "presto" the amp was restored.

beans-on-toast and JimmyM like this.
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You should clean the jacks with deoxit D5. Apply a little and work a plug in and out. There are small switches called shunts in the jacks whose contacts need to be cleaned. Oxidation on them is the source of your problem.

This buildup can especially occur on jacks that are infrequently used. It’s always a good idea to exorcise all your jacks once in a while.

3. Wowza!!! This forum is massive!!!
    Was hoping to join the Portaflex club, seeing as I FINALLY traded all my TC Electronic gear for a PF500 to match with my SVT 210AV cab...I would post a pic, but my phone took a dump onto the icy sidewalk last week and cannot snap pics...I will have my daughter snap one and then I will post...
    Thanks a ton!!!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Will add you when I get home in a couple hours. Congratulations!

5. 20190206_203646. Number, please! :hyper:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    #685 RushNut2112
    #686 NoSlapForYou

RushNut2112 and NoSlapForYou like this.
  7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I’m looking at getting a PF50T to run with a BFM Jack 12 (ideally two Jack 12 cabs).

Is this a good match?

beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    In general, an efficient cab will really help make an amp sing. This is what I like to use. On the other hand, some cabs require EQ tweaking to sound good. How the BFM Jack 12 that you'd build fits into this, I don't know. I prefer not to use a tweeter for the type of rock that I like to play. The speaker chosen is important and there are so many options there.

Sorry that I couldn't give you more of a definitive answer.

As I recall, Mark @Vintage-Blue has built a Jack.

BassGreaser likes this.
  9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Funny you mention Mark’s Jack. I just bought it (no tweeter) and looking at the PF50T to pair it with

Vintage-Blue and beans-on-toast like this.
  10. Larry Sherman

Larry Sherman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Connecticut
    Hi folks,

I'm a new addition as well. PF-50T with PF112HLF. :)

Larry

IMG_0443.

Zbysek, johnpbass, cazclocker and 6 others like this.
  11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Nice!

What's the story on your Jazz. Is that a custom cream laminated pickguard or has it aged that way? Like the curly cords.

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    80B36F9C-A4AA-429B-989E-CCECE709FCC3. 0C6983A0-5086-4479-ABF3-F0739B386E49.

JimmyM and beans-on-toast like this.
  13. Larry Sherman

Larry Sherman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Connecticut
    The Jazz is a 2018 Fender custom shop (team) 60 stack knob in Sonic Blue with a mint pickguard and slab neck. It's a journeyman relic, so just a few marks here and there to approximate light wear. The neck is birdseye maple and plays great. It's super light (8.14 lbs).

I think the colors look a bit off from low light and the Ampeg purple light.

I'm the second owner-bought it locally from the guy that custom ordered it.

Larry

PS: Curly cords are Lava retro cables

14. Man, so after finally getting to play this for an extended period of time I am in love with the tones I can get. I am surprised by both the volume and variety of sounds.

I do have to few questions. Bear in mind that, while I am not new to playing, I am new to caring about my equipment.

1) The cab rattles on low notes. Is this something loose or just a function of a wood floor in an old house?

2) The amp hum is very quiet when I have the bridge pickup on my jazz bass all the way or mostly off and the tone rolled off. The hum gets louder if I turn that pickup on or if I roll up on the tone knob. Is that more an issue with my bass?

3) My new place has ungrounded outlets. Is it safe to plug in the amp through a grounded adapter or am I risking anything?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The cab design is reminescent of my EV cabs with 15" speakers, except for the horns which are in a chamber of their own. I leave the horns off when playing bass through them.

EV cabinets.

16. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    1) It could be either. Place the amp on the floor and sit on the cab. See if it helps. We can go from there.

The vibration can be in the head, the cab, or the cab vibrating on the floor, or something in the room. Head vibrations can be the tube cage or the tube shield covers. If it’s the head, remove the cage, emove the shields (push down, twist, and lift).

2) There is a hum mod for the amp which should be in place. The amp would have to be opened and checked to see if this was done. Searchfor humbuster mod on talkbass, there are images showing what to look for.

Otherwise, single coils pickups and instrument shielding can play a roll. If the instrument is quiet in other amps, then it is not the problem.

3) Old ungrounded wiring can be part of your hum problem. It would be a good idea to try the amp somewhere else that has proper grounded wiring just to test it out.

Yes you can plug the amp in with a three prong to two prong adapter. If there is noise, remove the plug, rotate it around 180 degrees so that the spades go into the other slots, and reinsert. See if the amp runs any quieter. If noise is being generated inside the walls or at wiring junctions, the amp is going to pick up it up and amplify it. Nothing you can do but rewire the house.

Is running the amp ungrounded safe? It won’t hurt the amp but if you touch another piece of equipment while touching the strings, you might receive a shock. If you do, rotate the power plug on the other piece of equipment or your amp.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Outstanding, I came very close to pulling the trigger on a Vintage Stack Knob Jazz, around 1980. At the time it was @2,000.00 I didn't have the do-re-mi.

vistacruiser and Larry Sherman like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    #687 Larry Sherman

Larry Sherman likes this.
  19. Thanks. With more investigation, it seems like my bass has very noisy electronics. I think I need to ground the pickups and replace the pots and the jack.

The rattle was solved by putting the wheels on the cab and opening my door. Lol.

beans-on-toast and macmanlou like this.
  20. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    You did a good job at figuring it out. Those problems can drive you nuts!