1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Ampeg Portaflex Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 25, 2008.

1. flatwound251

flatwound251 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Got back to work on my SB-12 today. Was happy to find that the glue repair was successful on the wood split that occurred yesterday during installation of a new gasket. The repaired area (highlighted on photo) is surprisingly strong. Finished up the gasket installation, and then set the amp head on the cab to help seat the gasket. Then flipped the top over to test the clamps, and for the first time in probably years, the amp head was able to be stowed as it was designed - it's a flip top again!
    Still have to attached the damping material and install the speaker, then hopefully it will be done...and still work. P1020109. P1020110. P1020111. P1020112.
    Will post a final picture when it is completely done.

lowplaces, shadven, blastoff and 6 others like this.
  2. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi all,
    Quick question for all you Valve Portaflex users, can I ask if any of you use a drive pedal as well?
    If you do, what do you use?
    I have a Analog Alien Bass Station which copies the sound of a FlipTop in the amp section pretty well, I liked it with my Mesa Boogie Subway, but not so much with my Portaflex. I figure they might be too alike and thus not combining in a way I like.
    So, any suggestions for drive would be appreciated. (Or maybe you just drive the tubes on the amp...)
    Please let me know your thoughts...

3. ShaunNecro

ShaunNecro

Aug 1, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I got a mint NOS Jan 6SL7 coming my way thanks to a good friend of mine

received_331451484457529.

And while cruising the Facebook marketplace, I saw another good condition 70's B15 nearby for $1000...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure, I have several I use on a rotating basis. Ampeg Scrambler, MXR Bass Distortion, JohnK built Greedtone OD clone and Animato clone (although the Animato is tricky sometimes), or a Tech 21 VT Deluxe. But I love OD and fuzz, so even though I don't use them on every song, I do like to use them. I tend not to drive the tubes, though, since I have to have a clean sound available, and I don't like buying tubes regularly.

chupacerveza, JIO and 999Brent like this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    VTBass, Eventide H9, Marshall Blues Breaker, and a pile of other’s that I’ve built.

Clean boost or treble booster pedals are good you want to overdrive the first stage to get a rich distortion. Especially if you want to play at lower levels and have distortion.

lowplaces, chupacerveza and 999Brent like this.
  6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  7. ShaunNecro

ShaunNecro

Aug 1, 2007
    Houston, TX
    God that's sexy.

JIO likes this.
  8. JB1962

JB1962

Jan 13, 2018
    My PF-20T fits nicely inside my 5-space rack along with my tuner. I bolted it to the bottom using the screws that came with it for mounting as a fliptop. Easy to carry. Just thought I would share... PF-20T.

9. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Nice!

JB1962 and ShaunNecro like this.
  10. Orfeus Hebros

Orfeus Hebros

Jul 15, 2019
    Thanks!! I’ll check it out!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  11. Orfeus Hebros

Orfeus Hebros

Jul 15, 2019
    After some tips from beans-on-toast I did some more research on the Ampeg B15s cab. Apart from the size being slightly bigger then the 70s thiele B15 cab. The inside also seems to have a different design.
    I found this on the 70s b15n, which seems to be accurate and a good start for finding the right way to copy a B15s cab:

Ampeg b15 thiele plan
    b15 dimensions.
    B15n thiele front without grill
    Schermafbeelding 2019-07-18 om 16.27.45.
    Ampeg b15s without grill: Schermafbeelding 2019-07-18 om 16.27.29.

B15s Inside:
    Schermafbeelding 2019-07-18 om 17.09.18.
    Schermafbeelding 2019-07-18 om 17.09.30.

Is there anybody who knows more about this design or owns one of these B15s amps? there seems to be some extra wood on the end of the port board going upwards. And there also seems to be some wood with foam in a horizontal line on the back. Many thanks! Greetings!

12. Is anyone familiar with this speaker?
    Eminence Legend CA15 Bass Speaker
    I need a 4 ohm replacement for my 90's B-15T cab.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  13. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I have a B-15S, but it's at our sax player's house. I won't see it until Sunday afternoon. If I get a chance I'll take a photo of the inside unless someone else provides one before then. Some of the wood in your images looks newer than the rest of the cab, and there should be clips inside for the tilt-back leg.

14. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    What a beautifully simple little amp. I love mine!

flatwound251 likes this.
  15. Diegos79

Diegos79

Mar 5, 2018
    Argentina
    IMG-20190627-WA0034.

Welcome PF500

16. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I haven’t tried one. It looks good on paper. The price puts you in the same ballpark as the 8 ohm Eminence Alpha and Beta which are good in these amps.

lowplaces and bobyoung53 like this.
  17. Orfeus Hebros

Orfeus Hebros

Jul 15, 2019
    If you could do that would be really great! I'm specificly curious about these dimensions: Schermafbeelding 2019-07-19 om 01.15.27.

Its interesting what you said about the new wood, Didn't realize that! Did see the same weird design in others photo's:
    dheqgzeg5leevnsyi9mk. Schermafbeelding 2019-07-18 om 17.07.45.
    Many thanks for the help! :)

chupacerveza likes this.
  18. ShaunNecro

ShaunNecro

Aug 1, 2007
    Houston, TX
    So uhhhh, I'm picking up a restored 68-70 B15N in a few hours.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    #709 Diegos79

20. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    B15S. I hope this helps. It's from my '71~'72 B15S. The roundinsh thing in the port feels like some sort of plastic covered foam

Orfeus Hebros and chupacerveza like this.