Official Ampeg Portaflex Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 25, 2008.

1. Lucky Chuck

Lucky Chuck Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    The official Ampeg Ampig (without an amp peg).

JIO and beans-on-toast like this.
  2. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I will note for the record that almost everything on my list was acquired before I ever met my now-ex-wife, single and living alone. Make of that what you will.

gtmalone and beans-on-toast like this.
  3. DerrickSmalls

DerrickSmalls

Jan 22, 2013
    IMG_0651(1).JPG

PF50T has yet to arrive.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Hope that the wait for the PF-50T is not too long.

5. gtmalone

gtmalone

Sep 30, 2015
    Allen, TX
    Here's some info on the 6BK11 and potential subs. Good info to have. Post #10 has the sub/comparison list.
    Ampeg Jet -- 6BK11/6C10 Tubes

I have a tube substitution manual that says 6K11 and 6Q11 will sub for 6BK11 but has a footnote "may not work in all circuits". One of the triode sections has less gain than the 6BK11. The other two sections are the same. That may or may not be a problem in this amp depending on where in the circuit that one section is located.

Tubes like that will last a long time. The tube in the amp and one spare would probably last longer then us!

beans-on-toast and farace like this.
  6. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Thank you, that’s a good thread.

7. Ringhammer

Ringhammer Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2016
    S. F. Bay Area
    I’d like to be clear, I am in a very good band with a couple of talented guys and am very grateful for that for sure. We were just getting going when COVID hit, had a number of pretty good Saturday nights lined up. We barely took a break during COVID, and have written another full set of songs as well as recording everything new, and re-recording some of our older stuff. I was commenting that I feel like I should be in a 2nd group so I could have even more opportunities to use all this gear. Always searching CL for that next group of people to jam with!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    JIO, gtmalone and beans-on-toast like this.
  8. gtmalone

gtmalone

Sep 30, 2015
    Allen, TX
    If you need to free up some space, I can "store" some of it for you here free of charge. Load it up and bring it over. You could get to the DFW area in 3-4 days. :D

Ringhammer and beans-on-toast like this.
  9. DerrickSmalls

DerrickSmalls

Jan 22, 2013
    Thanks! Me too!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    According to Standing in the Shadows of Motown, Jamerson used a B-15 live (and occasionally in the studio), sometimes with an extension cabinet; the amp would be set with the bass knob all the way up and the treble knob on half.

Bass on full, treble at noon. Maybe it’s worth getting used to. Jamerson also used a sponge under the strings at the bridge to dampen the sound. He really liked to emphasize the low end.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I've tried it with mine, except subbing my tiny little Dunlop flats for the giant LaBella cables Jamerson used, and it darn sure sounds like what you'd expect from listening to a session he recorded. Gotta have the volume up to get a little grind, too.

12. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    That's my settings - palm-muting (no foam etc) and mostly pick ala' Carol Kaye playing mid-centric basses w/bass & treble full up.

gtmalone, beans-on-toast and JimmyM like this.
  13. flatwound62p

flatwound62p

Apr 24, 2017
    Australia
    The BT15 manual recommends Bass near full and Treble at zero. Interesting starting point :bassist:
    Screenshot_20210604-133848_Samsung Notes.jpg

14. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    beans-on-toast likes this.
  15. I was wondering the same thing.

Bluesbob and beans-on-toast like this.
  16. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Same here with the playing style. With a pick I just naturally palm mute as I play. It works out well.

gtmalone and JIO like this.
  17. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Yes, palm-muting gives one more control to mute or not mute selectively. I restored a '63 Burns of London Vista Sonic (pre Ampeg affiliation) med scale w/flats and put a thin foam pad under the bridge-cover which subtly mutes the strings. I usually never use the bridge cover on any bass I play, but as this was a restoration I wanted it to be as it was new from the factory.

upload_2021-6-4_8-18-29.jpeg

Mastermold, gtmalone and oren like this.
  18. Ringhammer

Ringhammer Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2016
    S. F. Bay Area
    As a lifetime finger player, I have not necessarily needed to palm mute, and sometimes the fingers tend to mute the strings that are not being played, and also I frequently use my left thumb (I’m right handed) to keep the E under control when necessary. I have also been using the pinky on my right hand to do a mute on the one string I might be playing in a short quiet part. I do use a pick occasionally and do see how important having the ability to palm mute is when picking. Very hard to do on a Ric 4003, which seems to be the hardest Bass to contain when those strings are ringing out. Palm muting is a skill I sorely lack, as it feels awkward. I really do need to work on it though. Also, playing in mostly loud rock bands it hasn’t been much of an issue, but these days my band is more versatile and writing more of a variety of songs that have more dynamics, and with high level recording gear in our studio, recording everything all the time. So that palm muting thing is an important tool to have.

gtmalone and JIO like this.
  19. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I think palm-muting is more of a pick thing, as finger-style (as you have noted) has more to do with selective string dampening using fingers to dampen non-played strings to prevent them ringing instead of going for a muted 'plucky' tone. With aggressive pick playing, (rock) palm-muting wouldn't be incorporated.

Ringhammer likes this.
  20. DerrickSmalls

DerrickSmalls

Jan 22, 2013
    Ampeg PF210HE and Ampeg PF115HE.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021