Official Ampeg Portaflex Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 25, 2008.

1. ampking300

ampking300

Dec 11, 2014
    Coram,N.Y.
    Am I an Ampig or just an ordinary Amp Pig, let me know, David, BOT, you can place these photos wherever you see fit as you are The Man---just moved into a 1315 sf condo, plus same in basement and 300sf garage, my children are finally all together, I think, keep on Ampeging/Ampiging/AmpPiging, I love this thread, Ray.

Attached Files:

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It will go into the ampking collection section of the wiki. Thanks Ray!

Bass 45, KlankTank and gtmalone like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yep, you are truly Ampking. WOWOWOWOW!!

4. Ringhammer

Ringhammer Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2016
    S. F. Bay Area
    Apparently I don’t have anything that comes close to “a problem”.

That’s quite the collection you have there.

5. ampking300

ampking300

Dec 11, 2014
    Coram,N.Y.
    This is a partial amount as all my big rigs are filled to the max in my garage---the remainder of my 800+ collection that I started selling about 15 years ago---have to get all my kids organized, only been in this condo for 9 days---lots of work to keep me busy for at least 6 solid months. We finally own our own place. I will try my very best in the next year or so to get some good photos/info. of most of my Ampeg amps, stay safe everyone, Ray.

6. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I humbly relinquish any feeble claim I had on the title of Ampig. (I love them all, but those Bassamps are something.)

Haroldo, Bass 45, JIO and 2 others like this.
  7. gtmalone

gtmalone

Sep 30, 2015
    Allen, TX
    Hokey Smokes! Good on you! I wish the navy random flair tolex was available.

I saw a Gibson Thor in there. That was my first bass amp circa '68.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    This is my get out of jail free card whenever I buy an amp...

Those blonde Fender heads are particularly amazing - well done!

beans-on-toast and gtmalone like this.
  9. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Friends, I’m thinking about getting back into the club. It’s been a hot minute...
    I’ve been playing Bassman rigs since I started gigging again in 2018. I’m itching to have an old svt back for gigging, a b15 for recording, practice, fun etc, and maybe a b12.

I’d love to start with a beat up, maybe even not working, late 70’s svt project. If anyone knows of one floating around, let me know.

Rich67, gtmalone and beans-on-toast like this.
  10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    My ‘71 SVT is magic. Best one that I ever heard. Don’t restrict yourself to only late 70’s.

spellcaster, gtmalone and TheDialog like this.
  11. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I’ve had a handful of blue and blacklines and there’s something to me about blacklines...

blastoff, gtmalone and beans-on-toast like this.
  12. maplebar

maplebar

May 21, 2020
    California
    I've been having some weird frequency issues with my PF-50T/PF-112HLF. It being my first tube amp, I really wasn't sure what the problem might be and have been reluctant to mess with it but finally decided to try out the chopstick method to see if it's simply a bad tube issue before reaching out to an amp tech.

I get tons of buzzing when I play certain notes (around F) and significant volume dropoff on other notes (around A). I'm a complete tube noob, so I'd welcome any guidance/suggestions.

I've read that if it clinks like normal glass would through the speaker, the tube is likely fine, but if there's any rattling or thuddiness, then the tube likely needs replacing. What I found was the V3 (Master, 12AU7) tube did clink through the speaker, but the other tubes (12AX7s: V1 preaamp/gain and V2 EQ/Amp drive) didn't make any noticeable sound through the speaker. Would that lack of sound be indicative of an issue with those tubes? Or maybe some sort of wiring issue?

13. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I'd try swapping in a good 12AU7 and see. It's a simple thing that you can try.

If the 12AX7's are not microphonic when you ping the glass bottle, they are probably fine. What you described can be a tube issue but there are other possibilities such as a bad solder joint or a loose contact at the tube socket. If the tube swap doesn't resolve the problem, a tech would have to examine the amp to determine what is going on.

maplebar likes this.
  14. maplebar

maplebar

May 21, 2020
    California
    Thanks! I’ll give that a shot and see what happens.

15. KlankTank

KlankTank Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2021
    New Jersey
    Looking good Ray! Good to see all the kids in the same playpen. Don't mean to sound like an alarmist weirdo but I hope you can get that insulation covered in the ceiling as it gets everywhere, itches, (will get all over the kids) and generally just sucks. I had the stuff exposed for a couple months and noticed it gathering on the ping pong table. Just stapled plastic sheeting up and that took care of it.

16. ampking300

ampking300

Dec 11, 2014
    Coram,N.Y.
    Joe, I hear you ---once I do a little organizing I will check out options for, possibly, one of those easy install?, drop ceilings that a lot of offices have or something similar. Have to really get to my garage where all the big rigs are, even just to stack them in order to make a little more room. Movers just placed them all in there basically on top of one another. Many items in the garage have to be put in the basement. I will try to get to them in the next month or so, still have to reorganize the basement AND get to my 150 or so boxed raw speakers that I will be selling in the next few months. At least our main living level is all done now and I just have to concentrate on the basement/garage, this will take a few months, glad to hear from you and best regards to you and all on this forum, stay safe and keep on bassing/ampeging, Ray.

17. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hello Ray - do you still have the '49 Super 800 Bassamp?

I hope all is well. Congrats on the new place!

18. ampking300

ampking300

Dec 11, 2014
    Coram,N.Y.
    Rich, thank you---and yes I still have the '49 Super 800, I will keep this as it is in great shape and sounds awesome for what it is----I had 4 of these in the past, going to try to whittle the herd down to about 80 pieces or so---just want to keep my most historical pieces, best sounding, early serial #ed models, will keep me busy for a couple of years----You know how it is, need money, sell some gear, regrets, very few, can always buy those pieces that I sold sometime down the road--- a vicious cycle---I just love this stuff, BUT, realize that I can't have it all,( have made an incredible attempt to though, in the last 54 years ), AND, just can't take them with me---stay safe, best regards---all you guys/dolls keep up the good work, Ray.

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I love pictures like this, puts my "modest" collection in context for my wife.

beans-on-toast, gtmalone and JIO like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yes, you've made an incredible attempt, that is for sure! Must be a blast to get to walk into a room and get an entire history of guitar and bass amplification right in front of your face any time you want!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021