1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official ATK Club (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Sep 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I've got the same bass in the works being paid off slowly. Can't wait to get it home and then out gigging!

FingerDub likes this.
  2. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    That one's gorgeous

3. skortch

skortch

Apr 28, 2007
    Colorado
    A quick review of my new-to-me 805e, a bass I've had my eye on for a year or two. I saw it on sale a couple of weeks ago and pulled the trigger.

Ah, the joys of UPS delivery. This was waiting for me on the porch:
    box.
    Gah!!! :eek:

That's a good argument for double-boxing, which is something I wished Guitar Center had done. However, the 2-3 layers bubble wrap were intact and the bass itself seemed undamaged. It looks pretty much like every other 805e photo I've seen online. GC called the condition Great but I'd probably call it Good Plus. It's been well played for sure, which is fine and cool. They put new strings on but most only have 1 1/2 wraps around the string post, at best... :bored:
    atk805e_sm.

After a band practice and some solo playing, I can make the following list of pros and cons:
    Pros:
    + Tone versatility! (see first con, though)
    + Great balance on a strap, zero neck dive.
    + Decent weight, 9lbs 5oz.
    + Great neck for getting around, sort of a flat C shape?
    + Construction seems very good, maybe just short of Japanese Ibanezes.
    + Nice quality components including Hipshot Ultralite tuners.

Cons:
    - Balance pot acts more like a switch: all or nothing.
    - Pickups are kind of noisy, in most combinations. (Some have said the neck CAP pickup is a humbucker but it sure doesn't act like it.)
    - Tiny fret markers - why have them at all? (Super minor cosmetic point)
    - Output jack cut out during practice, needs re-soldering or replacement.
    - No passive emergency option.
    - Brown.

Overall, I think it's pretty great. 22 frets and 18mm string spacing are ideal for me. The weight is decent, though I wouldn't mind some closer to 8 - 8.5 lbs. (That likely means something other than an ATK, of course.) It really ticks almost all of my boxes and the price was right.

Tone-wise, yes, it can get close to a Precision, Jazz, and Music Man. Not exact but that's fine. Solo the neck pickup, bump the bass and drop the treble, and you get a nice warm dubby sound perfect for a few of my band's tunes. I love the humbucker 3-way switch. With either a Jazz or MM setting you gotta watch the highs, though, as they can easily get overly sizzly. MM humbucker setting does drop output a fair amount but bumping the EQ takes care of that. I haven't found a use for neck + front humbucker coil but I've just kind of scratched the surface.

First mod would probably be to swap in a linear blend pot to gain the ability to favor neck or bridge pickup. As I mentioned in a previous post it's pretty limited as-is and that's probably my main gripe. I'd like a warmer Stingray tone, like 70/30 mix. Other than that... I'm going to order some fretmarker stickers today. Come to think of it, I might order a sticker or two for the body, too. Short of refinishing, I'd kind of like to personalize this thing and that's a good sign, kinda like back in my fun early bass years.

Gig coming up in early January should tell if this is a keeper or not but I'm pretty sure it is.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  4. I really like the brown of the 800 series- allows the big ol chrome bridge to pop.

I think they would look better without the matching headstock- but that it neither here nor there!

Great bass.

5. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    20190108_161603. Was given this early 2000s atk 400 by a good friend.
    Pretty pleased with it, so much so I've put my other bass for sale.
    Very powerful, after I adjusted the trim pot and pu height. Lots of tone variation some useable some not so much.
    Sort of similar to a Stingray but certainly has its own thing going on. So much more interesting than my last couple of Ibanez basses (sr500 and Artcore).

Frogburger, dabbler, kosma and 4 others like this.
  6. That thing is awesome!

gregmon79 likes this.
  7. FingerDub

FingerDub Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Is that an original finish, if so it's awesome.

8. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    All original.
    And It's as heavy as it looks :D

Daniel Piper, gregmon79 and FingerDub like this.
  9. kosma

kosma

Mar 26, 2012
    Poland
    Hello! This is my ultra rare atk1300 with ebony fingerboard :)

10. FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Another reminder about how professional-sounding the ATK can be. Nice work.

kosma and tomydacat like this.
  11. I have that exact model and do not have noisy pickups so I have a hunch that the wiring is at fault for both the noise and the cutting out. I will agree with you about the blend knob basically being a switch though.

12. twelvetrombones

twelvetrombones Martian Ambassador Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Looks like ATKs have disappeared from the Ibanez website...

13. betavision

betavision Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I'm so glad to be joining this club again. A couple of years ago I sold an atk1200, it was a fantastic bass, but I really wanted the 5 string version.

I lucked out in finding 1205 a couple of weeks ago, and just received it this week. It is astounding! That B string is soo tight and focused! I was able to set up the bass exactly how I like it. The amount of tones you can get out of this thing is incredible.

I also think the 5 strings look better than the four strings... The width of the neck seems to suit the width of the body better to me. The proportions look more balanced or something. IMG_20190111_124651_008. IMG_20190111_000905_063.

kosma, tomydacat, Zomb13 and 4 others like this.
  14. FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Say it ain't so. Looks like the Talman is gonna be their only "traditional" body style. Seems like it was replaced with the "Mezzo" which is a medium scale bass that looks like a cheap Dean. Oh well. I got my 2 ATKs at least.

Marko 1 likes this.
  15. skortch

skortch

Apr 28, 2007
    Colorado
    Yeah, interesting thing happened during rehearsal last night. The bass was noisy on all pickup settings; all of a sudden there was a small 'pop' and no more noise. Hmmm, I think you're right about the wiring. The output jack cut out again and unfortunately it looks like a barrel-type that won't be super easy to re-solder or replace.

I have a gig tonight that was planned for using the ATK but I think I'll pass this time, at least until I have a chance to go through the wiring a bit.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Not intending to be the wise guy here, but have you tried a fresh battery?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. Hot hot hot

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. In regards to the disappearance of the ATK.

Its a damned shame if its true.

Interesting times at Ibanez - a lot of high quality pickup brands (Nordys, Aguilars, Bartolinis) - but no love for the humble ATK.

Oh well. I would love to pick up a premium or prestige model at some point.

Or even a sneaky little red sparkle number ... @FingerDub ...

FingerDub likes this.
  19. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    Those clear pickguards look good. Better than the brown on brown of the 800s

20. FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    I'm tempted to let it go but then again...its only one more bass. I just need to EXCERCISE more to gig it!