1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official ATK Club (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Sep 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. I regret selling these:

atk.JPG

so am looking to pick one of these up:

ibanez-atk810-ntf.

Its possibly the only ash bass in existence where I like the examples with LESS grain. From what I've heard they sound killer!

2. How is that 1205e treating you?

I'm keen to make a move on a second hand 810/815/1200/1205 - but the used market for these is starting to dry up.

3. Greginperth

Greginperth

Feb 10, 2018
    I put out a search for a 1200 and got a reply from the owner of possibly the only one in Australia.
    Super stoked that a deal was negotiated and its due into Perth tonight to be in my greasy mits tomorrow.
    Pics will follow its arrival.
    Greg.

Bass Butcher, jason73 and BassmanM like this.
  4. Is that the one that MrMow from ozbassforum sold in 2012?

Its amazing how much of a super-sleuth I become when I really want a specific bass!

5. Greginperth

Greginperth

Feb 10, 2018
    :hyper: It is. We must both be inflicted with the same super sleuth'ness.
    I placed an add on gumtree hoping to attract this exact bass. I knew there would be at least ONE in Australia.
    Greg.

Big thanks to MrMow for originally importing it (if you are still on-board), and thanks to TonyVDM for passing the bass on.

Bass Butcher likes this.
  6. You are like, totally my hero right now!

...and dibs if it doesnt work for ya...

7. Greginperth

Greginperth

Feb 10, 2018
    Noted. but highly unlikely.

Cheers.
    Greg.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's pretty sweet! I haven't had as much time with it as I'd like since we've been crazy busy this summer.

Once we get settled into a new house I'll be able to really put it through the paces in my studio.

gregmon79 and jason73 like this.
  9. Greginperth

Greginperth

Feb 10, 2018
    NBD my ATK1200 prestige has arrived.
    I've only had time to unpack it and give it a quick tune, but so far so good.
    I tried 4 different MM stingrays in the lead up to deciding that the ATK was the way I wanted to go primarily based on the number of different voices that can be obtained from this instrument - And it hasn't disappointed.
    Just about to whip the old strings off, clean the fret board, and install a fresh set of EB cobalt flats. Will report more as I get a taste for it.
    Greg. _8106413-2.
    _8106415.
    _8106416.
    _8106417.
    _8106418.
    _8106408.
    _8106412.

10. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    apple valley
    Wow kinda ran thru this thread last couple days, it makes me want to get out my 95 USATK and play it again. Its been sitting under a couch since 96-97. Last time I pulled it out a few years ago the pickup selector would only work in one position. Any ideas on that?
    Also what strings have you guys found to work best for these? More rock use and praise band. I probably have old GHS boomers on there.
    Thanks

11. Rock that bass!

I always loved Dunlop Super Brights on mine.

FingerDub and jason73 like this.
  12. jason73

jason73

Jan 13, 2014
    Agreed. 100% Dunlop Super Brite steels. Magic when they break in.

FingerDub and Daniel Piper like this.
  13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I personally love D'addarrio Pro Steels or DR Lo Riders on my ATK. Most the time it's Pro Steels. They just fit that bass for me.

I recently picked up a Yamaha BB730a (I can't remember the exact model # atm) and one of my buddies asked me if it could replace my ATK. I sat down last night with both of them. And while the BB can get in the same realm, there is just something special and different about the ATK that I still have yet to hear out of any other bass I've ever played. MM basses come close. But the ATK has so much attack and clear and present presence. It's really hard to beat to on some fronts.

Daniel Piper, jason73 and BassmanM like this.
  14. You have a grindy aggressive tone aye?

jason73 and gregmon79 like this.
  15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Indeed I do.

Daniel Piper and jason73 like this.
  16. Zomb13

Zomb13

Jul 10, 2008
    Oshkosh, WI
    My ATK3EX1 is one of my main go-to basses. I know GC gets a bit of crap for their "exclusive" models, but I've had mine for a decade now and never had an issue. Just like gregmon79, mine has an aggressive tone too. Question for the club though, I'm thinking of filing the nut to go BEAD tuning permanently. Anyone else do this? How did you feel about the results and the tone afterwords?

gregmon79 and Daniel Piper like this.
  17. I think retailers getting limited runs of instruments is really cool. To be applauded even. I really REALLY want a sparkle red ATK that was a limited run from back in the day.

FingerDub and gregmon79 like this.
  18. I have a 2012 Japanese 200NT (double humbucker), and I doubt I'll ever sell it. I had an SR700 prior but as many have noted, the necks don't offer enough tension resistance on them and I couldn't get the action as low as I wanted it. I'm most likely going to add a neck pup to the 200 but it is a stellar instrument as it is. I like the CAP pup just fine and am tempted to pick up an older ATK, just to see what difference there is in tone between the three pup and double bucker versions.

19. What he said...

FingerDub and gregmon79 like this.
  20. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    For real!!! That MIA one that's been pictured here in this thread is drop dead gorgeous.

jason73 likes this.