1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Bluesman Vintage Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaymi, Apr 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Happy New Year. ;)

It has been quiet here, I see. And on visiting the BMV website for the first time in several months, I see that their business model is really changed. For the better, I must believe... Good Luck to John and Co.!

Now I am down to only my pink and white BMV basses. Though I said I would never change their pickups, I did change the P pickup in the pink bass. After testing a number of them there, one stood out as being best for the instrument, a custom Bullock P pickup, underwound and un-potted. In my initial review of that pickup, I wrote

Well that turned out to be a perfect complement to the pink BMV's vocal quality; and the Bullock P and Flying Mojo J get along just fine.

Here is something I happened to make late Sunday night, as I was designing presets on a delay pedal that has a looper mode. Good headphones or speakers are recommended. The setup:
    • Bluesman Vintage (BMV) P/J J/J bass guitar as P/J, alder/maple/rosewood
      • Bullock custom P pickup (underwound, un-potted), Flying Mojo pre-CBS type J pickup
      • Dark Horse stainless roundwound strings
    • four or five overdubs in Empress Effects Vintage Modified Superdelay (VMSD) in looper mode
    • VMSD phrase played several times through Kern preamp into Blue Rock amp, into TC Electronic Ditto X2 Looper
    • BMV bass into 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator (the shy solo) into Kern/Blue Rock, overdubbed in Ditto X2
    • Ditto X2 phrase repeated a few times in Fission on Mac, then mastered in Audacity multi-band compressor.

After having my BMV basses for a while now, I must say that there is something special about them. I will admit to struggling with them some, with their voices. They have a lot of personality. And in my little collection they have some stiff competition. But their sound and feel together is unique. At its best, it is serious business, whether you are into the vintage-like angle or not. The "sweet and tough" voice I mentioned last year is part of the BMV sound, I think. Whatever it is, it's good. :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. Took this baby home today from Seattle's Bass Shop. Didn't know about BV til the shop owner put it in my hands...had to have it! Still deciding which flats to put on it...D'Addarios sound real clean but the mid response is sounds super weird. I'm thinking maybe my 2-year old set of TI's might help me achieve that Sly Stone "There's a Riot Going on!" sound...dunno! Anyway, love this thing.

Attached Files:

dannster likes this.
  3. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    very cool, congrats

4. FredDurscht

FredDurscht

May 15, 2013
    i placed an order for a '67 eldorado a few days ago. the bass will be fiesta red over desert sand, rosewood fingerboard with pearl block inlays and a white neck binding, flying mojo "the jazzy g" pickups in 70th pickup placement, aging level comparable to the char coal colored eldorado found on yt and a redeemer circuit...now i just have to wait :(

@Jaymi: would you mind making a video once the bass is manufactured?

greetings

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    I Can't Dance likes this.
  5. FredDurscht

FredDurscht

May 15, 2013
    soon.... :)

Attached Files:

Slapthatplank likes this.
  6. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    ^ super nice, you're going to be a happy guy. Post more pics when you get it.

7. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    R&B likes this.
  8. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Went by the shop and ordered mine today. A 5 string Deville in butterscotch blonde with a black pickguard. Gonna be a P/J config, all passive.

9. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Wow, sounds excellent, looking forward to the results. Congrats!

chadhargis likes this.
  10. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    Really want one of their T bird pickup basses but with a P bass body.

lesclaypoolsob likes this.
  11. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Adam, I have a 5 string DeVille on order with T-Birds pups. I ordered 26 weeks ago, so I am assuming it may come to completion soon? Any of you guys that live close by or have ordered before have any knowledge of their on time deliveries?

12. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    John told me about three months.

I’ve learned not to be in a hurry for custom built instruments. I’ve been waiting 6 months for one from another builder. These guys are so talented and artistic that they don’t seem to worry too much about basic project management including a timetable and communication plan. I’m used to the business world where we have regular meetings and reports on projects. I just have to remind myself that I have other basses and good things come to those who wait.

Patience is not my strong suit.

13. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington

14. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    My dad ran a business, and it's tough when you're not only responsible for production, but also administrative, finance, accounting, legal, HR, etc. I was at John's shop from 11am till about 2pm, and in that 3 hours, I bet he took 20 phone calls and greeted every customer that came in the door.

It's easy for me to say how I'd run things if it were my shop, but I don't have to guts to step out of my corporate job and hang up my own shingle because I know that I couldn't provide the level of excellence I demand all by myself and wouldn't be able to afford to pay staff.

Many nights I saw my dad drag home exhausted. Watched him sweat every detail. He died of a heart attack at age 64. It's tough to run a business. Especially one that deals with the public.

But it would be nice to have a weekly email or even better, a production management system with a web interface where customers could see their project move through the production process. Even a web cam at each production station so you could see your instrument being built.

15. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I visited John's shop last June and met him in person at last years Winter NAMM show.. A great guy and I loved hanging with him and working with him on one of his basses I now own.. I can't wait to see your 5 string 54' PJ when it's completed !!

16. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    So, riddle me this. Is it out of line to expect some sort of communication regarding the progress of your build? You ordered one. Did you get any updates or did it just show up one day? I really don't know the build process, so I am truly out of my league here. I ordered my bass on July 9th. I am 24 weeks into what I was told would be a 20-22 week build time. I've reached out a couple of times, once in September, once in November and then again yesterday. I have received nothing. No indication that they even acknowledge my emails. I am really not too upset, but I'd really just like to know where my bass is, even if it is still a ways out. Am I out of line?

nonohmic likes this.
  17. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    I lucked into one of these - ‘63 Deville in Aztec Gold w matching headstock. VERY light and the most phenomenal sounding and playing bass in my possession andhas made me cease looking at split coil P basses.
    I’d urge patience in getting a bass built in this manner. Takes a large amount of work and is worth it.

18. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Give 'em a call. John always answers the phone.

19. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    My Bluesman Vintage '63 Deville:

IMG_2229.JPG

20. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Did that 2 weeks ago. John answered the phone, just as you said. I asked him about my bass and he told me he was going to shoot some paint for me to approve and send it to me in "a day or two". Two weeks ago and nothing. This guys communication skills SUCK! He should be ashamed! If I ever get this bass, it will be the last penny this joker gets from me! Curiously, the 6 month window for making a claim with Paypal ended the day after I call John...Hmm. I know you have no association with this guy, but I needed to vent! Sorry.