Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Official "Bootsy Star Bass Club"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paddydaddyo, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Awwwwwww YEAH!

What the heck. Now that there are at least TWO of us that I know of who own these things, I am kickin' off the official club. For that, I'm takin' numero uno. Superflybass has number #2.

Open to any funky mofos who own a Bootsy Star Bass, whether it be a Washburn Space Bass, Traben Bootsy Star ... or even your own custom-made take on the Star Bass.

Saddle up and let's take Aerofunkaronics to the 5th level! :bassist:

PM for your number (can't imagine I'll be giving too many out, LOL)

[​IMG]

#1 Official Bootsy Star Bass Club Founder and Minister of Funk!

2. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    nice

I think there is going to be another one poping up on ebay he said he had one more !

3. Register_To_Disable

4. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    i think I might do black hardware or brushed chrome

5. Wait ... is it true? Does a TBer have a Stambaugh-built Space Bass in Spalted Maple?!? ZOMG ... that must look reeDONKaluss!!! Where can I find pics & details?

6. AWW YEAH!
    I'm building mine as I type this, but for those who who don't know:
    It's gonna be a maple fretless piezo only tribute to the Boosty Space Bass done up in a paisly finish!
    FUNKY! lol
    But since I have no actual bass as of now, my # will wait...
    Although I have some really big questions that havent been answered (sorry if this gets annoying! lol)
    What are the body's dimensions? widest point, longest point? etc...
    Thanks guys!
    Peace funk brothers!
    :bassist:

7. FunkintheTrunk! He gots the Stambaugh Star ... and #3!

PEACE!

Oh, and Kevin_BlueBASS ... I'll get you some dimensions soon, promise!

8. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

P Daddyo,

I own the Stambaugh Space Bass (aka, Intergalactic Funky Thang to Play With). Spalt maple top, black limba body and birdseye maple board with ebony binding. It has 3 John East BTB01, 2 band preamps, 1 per pickup. Kahler tremolo bridge, spalted maple THG knobs with of course, star inlays.

Glad to be part of this club, but I have a feeling this may be a very small group. But I'll take that #3...baby bubba!!

G

Attached Files:

• SB1.jpg
      SB1.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
    • SB2.jpg
      SB2.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
  9. [​IMG]

#3?!? Maybe YOU should have numero UNO!

Sha-ZAM! That is truly ree-donk-aluss! :eek: Would love to hear a soundclip or see a vid of that bad runner in action ...

"There was three-ee-ee in the family, and that's a magic number."
    Schoolhouse Rock

10. S-U-P-E-R-B!

11. Funkinthetrunk

Thanks ya'll for the funkadelicious vibes about my bass...I may have to get some funky sounds for your ear holes.

PDaddyo, where did you find your Washburn Space Bass? I gave up years ago...I even went to Ed Roman for his. But in the end, Chris Stambaugh was delighted to make me one. After 'bout a hundred design and wood combo changes, the end result is what you see. I found a new Wash Space Bass case of ebay for $99....big as a house, but fits perfectly.

Oh...just a little something from the funky mind of Chris Stambaugh, for your taste buds...

Attached Files:

• SB3.jpg
      SB3.jpg
      File size:
      27.3 KB
      Views:
  12. MrBasseyPants

MrBasseyPants Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Don't outbid me on this one :)

For some reason this year is the year for bass projects and weird creations for me! :)

jc

13. Funkinthetrunk

PDaddyo-

Great story and even better price! After getting my bass made, I stopped ebaying for Space Basses. Ain't these Space Bass cases the bomb? They're nicer than my first apartment.

MrBasseyPants-

I'd never do that to a TBer...and will never come between a man and his Space Bass. That just ain't funky.

14. LMAO ... True DAT! The case alone was worth what I paid!

It makes me want to put red velvet all up in my white VW Beetle ... Awwwww YEAH!

15. MrBasseyPants

Jan 27, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I won the auction...now lets hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix the neck issues! :)

jc

16. Congrats!

How are you gonna flesh it out?!?

17. MrBasseyPants

Jan 27, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I have already indulged and bought a Gold Kahler tremolo bridge..I've always wanted one..and Funk's Stambaugh sold me on it, and I like the tuners you picked.

I'm thinking of actually trying to cram more pickups in there just for fun. I can't decide on which pickups to use though...and how many knobs I want. Three seems perfect, but five might actually MAKE it perfect! :) ...I also need to find some gold star knobs!

Haven't given much thought to the pickguard yet. I need to wait and see what it looks like in person...

...and now I need to build up the nerve to play it in public! :) ...I thought the Fenderbird I am building was going to be "out there"....this takes the cake!

jc

18. Funkinthetrunk

You won....cool!! More pickups the better :rollno:

This is my first bass with a tremolo, and I really like it. I don't use it all the time, but when I need it, it's there. Adds a whole new vibe.

Don't ever be afraid to play it in public....if you do, you'll need to forfeit your club number ;)

Space bass ain't for everyone, just the funky ones. Just being seen in public with one, let's the world know that your bassballs are the size of King Kong's. Space Basses are the shiznit.

19. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Bootsy=Funkiest mo'fo around...just thought I'd throw that in there....

20. MrBasseyPants

Jan 27, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Well if you were to put three, four, or five J style pickups in a bass. Would it work? I mean looking at a set of standard J pickups they cancel hum together and have alternating polarities...how would you wire up such a beast (in a relatively simple way). For example, say I went out and got 5 single coil Jbass bridge pickups...could you just wire them up in series or parallel and call it a day...or is there more to consider than that. I haven't decided what I want to do...but this is defintielyintriguing and it would make it much more special than just a funky shaped jazz bass! :)

jc