1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Official" Carvin and Kiesel Club - Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 20, 2013.

1. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    yeah i paid the extra 10 dollars to have it strung and setup for EADGC. These are the stock strings.

I'll probably give them a call tomorrow.

2. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    People sometimes have issues intonating Dunlop Superbrights (Kiesel uses them as their stock roundwound for basses without fanned frets).

* I love the superbrights tone. But I got tired of dealing with quality issues (I kept getting sets with one or more strings with mini kinks in them). I switched to DR Pure Blues and absolutely love everything about them.

Marley's Ghost likes this.
  3. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    yeah these strings are crazy bright.

I've never heard artificial harmonics like the ones where you fret and then play the artificial harmonic 4 frets up (like the end of portrait of tracy) sound this good and sustain forever

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I also thought about that, but i'd rather have the freedom to use the strings i want than have a design limit me. the real problem is the inability to put the saddles where they need to be, so i feel that's where the solution needs to be.

5. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    The point is that Superbrights have some known weirdness. Different strings might clear up the issues. And if Superbrights aren't a person's fave anyway, then the problems are nullified.

6. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    how long is the trial period again? I literally love everything about my bass besides the tiny amount of out of tuneness on 3rds/5ths etc between like frets 8-13 with the C string. I dont wanna have to ship it back ugh

7. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    It's 10 days.

Shipping back and forth is their business model.

Contact them now and get the issue known. I would ask if you can change the strings without voiding the return. Then if it doesn't clear up, send it back for whatever resolution.

I would ask if you can get a pre-paid shopping label from them. Even if they make you pay it, their shopping cost is way lower than what you would pay on your own. Just calmly ask for it and explain that.

8. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    yeah i just did some googling and there are actually a lot of threads even on talkbass regarding bad intonation issues with superbrights...maybe just a string change would indeed fix my woes.

Any suggestions for good replacement strings? I love the way these sound. really zingy and huge definition. Something similar to this tone pls

9. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I know that some DR strings have a nice bright sound. D’addario NYXL are pretty bright and retain most of the high end for a long time, I used a set for a couple years and they never sounded dull.

Charlzm and symbolic_acts like this.
  10. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I already said it but I went from Dunlop Superbrights to DR Pure Blues.

symbolic_acts likes this.
  11. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    does it matter if i get short scale strings for this 30' bass? I think i remember reading that it doesn't really matter for these basses because of how you install them anyway. Because I'm having trouble finding a short scale 6 string set

12. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    Regular scale strings are fine as you’ll be cutting them to length. I tried a set of GHS Pressurewounds on mind but ended up going back to the Superbrights as I like the tone better! One thing to remember is that you’re cutting through the whole string and not just the ends like you would stringing a normal bass so you need a fairly good set of sidecutters to cut through the string! My little guitar sidecutters really struggled!

jefff100 likes this.
  13. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    Edit: I meant to reply to @symbolic_acts post & flubbed that one.

I have my 30” Vader strung with DR Legends. They are more on the longscale (will fit a 35” bass). As @Stellvia indicated you are trimming to length. Kiesel made a decent video about stringing these up.

Be sure to do an initial set, clip the string, and then loosen the setscrew slightly & pull back on the adjuster a littte to bring the jagged edge of the string back so the neck end is flush & smooth. A good set of diagonal wire cutting pliars from Home Depot will do the job, cost about $10.

14. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    I've decided there are a pitifully small number of videos on youtube of people playing these basses so i made a quick one demoing my vb5 with some metal

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    emjazz, nonohmic, Bass Viking and 3 others like this.
  15. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    alright so my intonation issues were definitely because of the superbrights. So weird.

Put on a set of d'addario XL nickels super light gauge with a .028 on the C string. Everything is dead on but now it seems the screw on the A string saddle is stripped or something because i need to tighten it a little more but it wont catch the screw now :(

always some problem or another xD. could probably just buy a replacement screw

these strings are nice. very punchy mids

and changing strings on these is probably easier than on a regular bass, to my surprise

Stellvia, GlassToMouth and Toptube like this.
  16. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Send them an email. I had a problem with some bridge screws on my first PB and they sent them out.

17. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    ah that would be sweet. I'll do that

18. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Very excited to have ordered my first Kiesel LB70 bass yesterday.

19. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Crossposting some new, decent pics of my 2014 Icon 5.
    P1016892 (Copy).JPG P1016854 (Copy).JPG

20. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    That's really sweet. I see you've changed the pickups. What are the new ones? - they look like the Nordstrand Big Rig set.

I've been thinking of changing the pickups in my Vader, leaning toward Barts.

Charlzm likes this.