1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Official" Carvin and Kiesel Club - Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 20, 2013.

1. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    my satin neck has gotten quite sticky over the past couple weeks

i thought i got some hair gel rubbed into it (lol) but now im not sure. Ive tried wiping it down with a big microfiber cloth + some water but it's still pretty sticky.

how to clean it? Ive heard taking 0000 steel wool to it could be ok but im worried about doing it too much and wearing down the neck.

2. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    It's satin clear coat or is it tung oil?

Either way, I would try rubbing alcohol and a hand towel.

If that doesn't work, then the finish must be reacting with acids from your body. In that case, zero steel wool might be a temp fix. But it could get sticky again. You won't wear down the neck, unless you pressed really hard and rubbed for a long time. Just be gentle.

If it's tung oil, you could try a couple coats of oil, after cleaning with the alcohol.

symbolic_acts likes this.
  3. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    It's a satin clear coat. I'll try some rubbing alcohol and report back. Thanks

4. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Just got this today. Love the LB70. It's nothing fancy but I love it.

image.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    does anyone know if the HB puckup placement option of an LB70 is in the Music man "sweet spot"? it kind of looks like it might be

img_0487-.

6. hard to really say..but it is close if there is such a thing.. The J99 in the neck is a little bit back it seems...at least it is with mine..I seems like its way far back..I rest my thumb on the J99 while playing. I dont know that there is such a thing though..I all depends on how you play, where you pluck or pick it..etc...a lot of variables in making a certain area the sweet spot

7. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    well, basically i was just asking if its in the same spot as a music man's pickup, but after some reasearch i see that its about an inch or so back

8. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    You can get a more forward placement on the Vader

Marley's Ghost and GlassToMouth like this.
  9. Took this picture of my Carvin instruments for the Carvin/Kiesel group on Facebook and thought I would share it here...
    IMG_20181019_185248934.
    L-R: LB75...B5...Bolt Plus...TL60...B50 kit.

BnB

10. Bliff Curton

Bliff Curton

Sep 10, 2018
    Toptube and GlassToMouth like this.
  11. just ordered this from atop the mountain with only one bar of cell reception

^^
    yeah I like those, pretty lightweight.. Nice tone spectrum..great bass

GlassToMouth likes this.
  12. Bliff Curton

Bliff Curton

Sep 10, 2018
    Thank you.

The Walnut/Maple neck being less than 10Lbs delightfully surprised me.

13. Sweet...even looks like chocolate so sweeter!

BnB

Bliff Curton likes this.
  14. jefff100

jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    Hi all - Question for Vader Players:

If you use a clip on tuner - what model works well for you and where do you put it?

In general I'm not overly crazy about clip ons...but I have a monthly open mic where space is tight, no room for setting up pedals, using the house provided amp etc. I like using the vader for this due to the compactness of it all.

I have a TC Electronic pedal tuner that's great. Borrowed a Samson CT260 tuner from a buddy, worked great on my Fender 4 and even tracked the low B of my StingRay 5 very well, but was a little wonky trying to get it to clip onto what's left at teh end of the neck....didnt find a good place elsewhere to put it.

thanks

Jeff

15. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    I use a TC Electronic clip on tuner with my Vader and it opens wide enough to fit over the string retainer section at the head end securely. Works great!

Marley's Ghost and jefff100 like this.
  16. jefff100

jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    Thanks! I like the TC pedal tuner allot, its the only tuner I have that will work out in full bright sunlight.

I was considering the TC clip but didn’t want to spend $50 on a clip on on a whim though.
    Glad to hear it fits the Vader endblock.

17. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I would save the money. There's gotta be space for one pedal. Next to cab. On top of head. Etc.

18. jefff100

jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    Mostly is a convenience issue. I can only carry so much with me, bass, mic stand with Ipad etc.

If I can pull it off without lugging a stomp tuner & it’s requisite additional wire it just makes things simpler. I’ve tried tuning before going up on stage - and still do, but invariably in the congestion of changing out performers between sets somehow the bass gets bumped.

Of course Kiesel shifts less than the other basses, not having the headstock as mass out there & the tuners being tucked away on the bridge.

In general just looking for the simplest solution.

19. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have the snark sn5x tuner and it works fine on my vader aw5 string retainer. You do have to stretch it wide but it stays on. I don't use any pedals at rehearsal so it's a must for me too.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  20. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Finally decided to tinker a bit... Aguilar Super Doubles and a Pope Flexcore. Volume (active/passive), Blend, Tone, Mid/Sweep, Bass/Treble. A nice improvement, warmed it up quite a bit.

For anyone thinking of doing a similar swap in their Icons: The Aguilars are an easy drop-in, no-mod change. Installing the Pope took some routing of the holes for the control pots, because Carvin/Kiesel's pots have thinner posts. (MUCH thinner... Sorry, forgot to get a photo). I also had to swap the input jacks to stick with the Carvin jack. Because of the way the Icon control cavity is routed, it required the original longer input jack.

EDIT: I ordered the wide asymmetrical neck option, so this has 19mm string spacing. The model of Super Doubles I got are 5SD-D2, a direct replacement for Bartolini P2 sized pickups. So any pickup P2 size and designed for that wider spacing should be a pretty easy drop-in replacement if your Carvin/Kiesel also has that spacing. (Thanks to @Toptube for asking about that clarification here)

Totally worth the time! This is my 2015 Icon and was one of my main players since I got it, but now is even more so. The stock Icon electronics weren't bad... but definitely a bit sterile compared to the Aggie/Pope combination. Much more character and warmth now. I sacrificed the piezo bridge option, but that was only ever a novelty at best. Now it sounds like a hybrid neck-through active soapbar Jazz bass. Mmmm. :cool: :bassist:

5sg.

20180724_231100.

20180523_213427.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018