1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

"Official" Carvin and Kiesel Club - Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 20, 2013.

1. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019

The aesthetics of headless never caught on with me either. I do like the look of a multipiece neck headstock w/ no overlay... Just not that into them I guess. I'm glad to hear the reliability issues were worked out. Seemed like the hardware had issues with larger diameter B strings too.

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Oh yeah the light weight and balance of the Vader are great. You notice this when playing outdoors for 4 hours in 95 degree Florida summers. :cool:

BrentSimons and Toptube like this.
  3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The great luthiers at Guitar Repair of Tampa Bay had to do some tweaking on my Vader to get the DR low Rider nickel 125 low B to intonate. But now it's amazing. No flop and accurate all the way up the neck.

4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I am now fully in the Carvin/Kiesel family.

20201213_215323.jpg

BrentSimons, timplog, gzarruk and 9 others like this.
  5. I suspect you're right, of course. I think for me it's more about the missing headstock than body shape, as I do think the Osiris is pretty nice. I don't know, maybe just need to get used to the idea... Try and play one like you said. I'd also like to try a multi-scale before I shell out the bucks for one, too.

5sg.

6. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
  7. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I am pretty sure that is Purple Saber. You can get "saber" finishes in most major colors.

If you are interested in that specific color for a build, you can email them that picture and say that you want that color.

skeeler likes this.
  8. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    That looks just like Modulus' purple/pink finish....nice.

9. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    From KIesel's FB today

131698210_2834825506800733_6562998563981072213_o.jpg

10. There’s a nice zebra wood icon fretless 6 on Reverb right now. It matches the fretted one I got back at the beginning of the year.... oh would I love to get it a sibling. Considering what I paid for the fretted I just can’t fathom paying what he’s asking. Perhaps he’ll lower the price eventually.

11. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Well.....the current price may not be a steal. But its basically a little over the base price of a new one, before any custom options. And that fretless definitely has some extra money options. Used price value on Kiesels has gone up. And so has the cost of nearly all of the options, for new builds. Considering it seems to be in near new condition---I think its a solid buy. The listing is also open to offers. I bet you could get $100 knocked off there and then truly match the base price.

12. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    If it wasn't lined.....

13. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    ShenmueTacos likes this.
  14. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    Beautiful and the current bid would be a great price.

That said, I can see why this trim was short lived. Why pay a premium to have such a glorious cut of wood put on the back of the instrument, partially covered by plastic control cavities and battery boxes and rarely seen? But to each their own I guess.

15. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Could be the reason, or just that no one was spending "Kiesel money" back then on a Carvin. I think the SBs were the first new basses to really raise people's eyebrows towards the company, so the Elites were really a bold move (but gorgeous and ahead of their time). I would've been tempted to buy that bass if it was a real '06, as they introduced the better trussrod in '05. No way this is an '06, as it has the old socket-style truss nut.

IronSpatula likes this.
  16. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Ugh... it uses the older style truss rod. That's a shame.

songwriter21 likes this.
  17. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    You can still get the "elite" style extras. Like a top for the back, extra layers between body and tops. Top for back of headstock, etc.

18. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    I didn't know that was even on the menu - haven't seen a bass like that for a while!

19. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    You’d probably need to “call the guys” for those options. :laugh: I wouldn’t expect them to be cheap, either...

20. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Here is a JB5 from like 5 years ago, with those options.

Attached Files:

GlassToMouth and IronSpatula like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021