1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

"Official" Carvin and Kiesel Club - Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 20, 2013.

1. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    They killed the LB75? Wow - they actually discontinued the entire LB series. They killed the LB76 one or two years ago...

2. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    What a shame, especially with the Icon headstock.

biguglyman and IronSpatula like this.
  3. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    So... I've been working with the sales team and it looks like I'll be able to order an X64... :bassist:

4. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    The Icon headstock looked great on the Bunny Brunel basses as well. In fact I think the BB76 with the Icon headstock was one of the most aesthetically pleasing basses they've made.

songwriter21 likes this.
  5. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Never knew that they did that!

6. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    There are a ton of things you can get that aren't advertised... different tops, necks, headstocks and other things... all option 50 and all non-returnable.

7. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Oh I know that, just never saw a BB with an Icon headstock.

8. IMG_20210104_180156473.jpg IMG_20210104_175615422_HDR.jpg IMG_20210104_173630115.jpg
    Gave my 82 LB50 a new set of KOA topped Ebony knobs and repainted the bobbins. Looking spiffy for a 39 year old.

9. Pretty sweet! Was just having a conversation about new control knobs with a friend this morning... can you point us in the direction of where you got them?

5sg.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  10. Etsy is where I found these lovlies, not cheap but worth it imho. The link is for the set screw version.

Set of 2 Knurled Ebony Guitar Knobs with Figured Koa Inlay | Etsy

fivestringgecko likes this.
  11. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
  12. Thank you for the idea, Taz is loving the new knobs.

13. I saw a post on the kiesel group today about someone selling a bolt kit guitar and they were talking about the kit vs one that was assembled in the factory...like as if the factory ones are somehow much better..I will agree that the finish of a build from the factory is gonna be way better, I gotta say having a B5 kit myself that the playability or sound isn't any different at all...I mean mine sounds and plays better than any bass I have ever owned, including a 78 P..yeah the value is less I'm sure..but as an instrument..the difference is minimal at best.

timplog and GlassToMouth like this.
  14. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Oh wow, that's a shame. There's 2 local for sale here, one fretted, one fretless. Hmmm

15. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    As long as a person is capable of assembly and electronics, a bolt B5 would, yes, still sound great. Even though my B5 was made at the factory (bought ut used), it's a fairly bare-bones model, but is quite pretty and sounds FANTASTIC for the money. Can't wait to gig it.

16. mine is the first 5 string I have had..and I went into the music shop to buy a J bass with EMG pups in it..I really wanted that J bass but then I picked that B5 up an thought what the hell I will just see what this 5 string is like..and I plugged it in..and BOOM after about 2 mins of playing it I told the guy, I'll take it..it blew that Jazz bass out of the water..for playability AND tone...I love it and will never part with it..but now I want a Zeus 5ver..lol..now I'm a huge carvin /kiesel fan boy...

I don't know who built it but I can say this..they knew what they were doing...the solder joints are professional, and everything is perfect and I dont think it could of been assembled any better in San Diego..

songwriter21 and GlassToMouth like this.
  17. Keeshman556

Keeshman556

Aug 16, 2016
    The Zeus seems like a really popular model. I see them a lot on the Facebook posts or livestreams.

I’m kinda funny in that I like the Zeus guitar shape but the bass looks off. The proportions just look weird to me. But that’s just my preference. If I were to get a headless I think I would go Vader

murph7489 likes this.
  18. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I can't do any of those, ever since I owned a Spector. The shorter upper horn made the lowest frets a looooong reach, resulting in a sore shoulder...no thanks. That's why I love my B5. The horn goes to the 13th! Everything is right within reach.

murph7489 likes this.
  19. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Our guitarist thought these riffs up last night, and my Icon was up to the task.

20. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021