"Official" Carvin and Kiesel Club - Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 20, 2013.

1. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Probably the last one to be made.

2. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    I actually liked the ergonomics of my Icon 6 over the LB76. Ended up selling my LB76 this winter. I think folks could get an LB order in Jan or Feb via phone. Wonder if anyone put one in the oven...

Toptube likes this.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    One of the nicest looking LBs I've seen!

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    A cool community interaction happened today.

Kiesel posted pics of a new Icon bass which they made for Endorser Anna Sentina (the pink Icon attached).

And then someone replied to the image and said that they actually now own her first two Endorser basses. An Xccelerator and a Vanquish. Both with Carvin Logos. (see attached pic).

I've always been a fan of that particular Xccelerator. Handsome bass.

Also, Kiesel posted a pretty sweet Osiris bass (see attached pic).

Attached Files:

5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    That pink is sweet!!

6. +1, I dig that quite a bit!

5sg.

7. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  8. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    That extra inch and 1/4 is stretched from the nut to the saddles. People are mistaken to think that this makes a big deal...it doesn't. Neck profile and string spacing do. Besides, that bass has the old trussrod...yuck.

9. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    It does make a significant difference when alternating fretted to fretless in the same set. I'm not good enough to go from 35.5" fretted to 34" fretless seamlessly. I stick with 34" to keep muscle memory of only 34".

BlacksHole likes this.
  10. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    I do agree on the old truss rod though - that is a time bomb...

songwriter21 likes this.
  11. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Fretless, I get the scale difference...never thought of that. That one makes sense.

12. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    I tried it before, just not good enough to wrap my head around seamlessly transitioning from 34-35.5 " scale. Tried it the other way too - 34" fretted to XB fretless, and didn't like it. I just stuck with 34" scale after that. Just made life, playing and muscle memory easier. Patiently waiting on my fretless IC6. Maybe 6 weeks into an 18-ish week wait...

songwriter21 likes this.
  13. Out of curiosity for if I ever decide to scope out a used Carvin, we can tell it's the old truss rod by that truss rod tool, yeah? What's the difference, and when did they switch to the "new" truss rod?

(My earliest Carvin is a 2014 and my Carvins/Kiesels all adjust with a regular allen wrench)

5sg.

14. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Pretty sure it was fully switched in 2006. The old one (of which requires the Gibson-esque wrench) has a socket nut, instead of an Allen nut. The old style has a wrench that goes around/on top of the nut, whereas the current one has the wrench going into it. Supposedly the old truss was rather flimsy, and easily broke with excessive torque. The current one is beefier.

fivestringgecko likes this.
  15. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    If I can't tell which rod a bass has, I ask the seller to snap a picture under the truss rod cover. Never had seller refuse to do that.

fivestringgecko and songwriter21 like this.
  16. I’ve owned both, and yes, the older ones suck. But they’re not deal breakers IMHO. I have an older Icon 6 fretless with the old style truss rod. The best thing to do is squirt some wd-40 in the area and let it work it’s way down the rod a little. After 10 minutes give the rod a little twist and it will usually move with no issues, and just be careful anytime you need to make an adjustment.

With the older truss rods you definitely don’t want to pay a premium, and after some shipping damage and dead electronics I got this particular Icon for under $400.

17. Thanks for the info, quite helpful! :thumbsup:

I knew there were "older truss rods," but I wasn't sure what to look for or when they switched over. (I was actually a little nervous that they were still on the older version for my 2014/2015, as they updated to the carbon rods in 2015 only a couple months after my 2015 Icon.)

5sg.

songwriter21 likes this.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    When they changed truss rods they also changed from Hipshot B bridge to Hipshot A, and changed from 9v electronics to 18v.

fivestringgecko likes this.
  19. Also good to know as something to look for!

5sg.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021