"Official" Carvin and Kiesel Club - Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    LOL Brian Bromberg has NINE basses getting tuned up in the Kiesel shop

(Jeff said these all belong to Brian)

B2berg.jpg

2. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Oops :D

3. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    Wow, the one on the right looks like a solid slab of Buckeye Burl. Sounds expensive!

4. Not a full slab of buckeye, but it's still a gorgeous bass. Buckeye top with antique ash body. I dig the look of the B25 and I've G.A.S.sed for one for a while now (just can't quite seem to get away from the Icons ha ha), and this one is quite a beauty of a build. He gives you a rundown in this video.

5sg.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  5. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
  6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    From Kiesel's FB today

184096741_2940992592850690_550741941158220342_n.jpg

7. Very classy. I like that one a lot.

5sg.

8. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Yo, this is amazing. I want an Icon like this! or an Xccelerator!!! (too bad those were discontinued).

184304447_2942065039410112_8512534256996703209_n.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    timplog, BassmanM, bassbrad and 7 others like this.
  9. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Somebody had a bad day at Kiesel? They forgot to put the frets on. :D

redstrand likes this.
  10. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Actually several of these and other basses of mine are going to be sold, and even some are going to be given away! Pretty cool as these basses are the exact basses that I have used on several of my recordings, including Bromberg Plays Hendrix, Thicker Than Water, and Celebrate Me Home, The Holiday Sessions. None of the Kiesel/Carvin basses I've used on any of my recordings have custom features, they are the exact same basses that you can order from their website. We will be selling and giving away fretted and fretless B24 and B25 basses. Stay tuned for more details. I'm also happy to answer any questions you might have about the basses that will be available. Stay safe......B2

11. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Brian, I'm a fan of your signature basses and found your interview on how all the features of this design were brought together quite educational. The B25 is on my short list to try. Will there be pictures and full descriptions provided for those basses when they go on sale?

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    jefff100 likes this.
  12. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Yes, I'm sure there will be for all of them.....

Toptube, gzarruk, jefff100 and 3 others like this.
  13. DaveB in VA

DaveB in VA Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    nashville-mike%20pic%20040.jpg
    A pic of me and my B25 at Roy Vogt's Bass Boot Camp in 2013. Still kicking myself for not going in 2012 so I could have met you.

Attached Files:

Steve Slate, Toptube and timplog like this.
  14. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Could a B25 be ordered with 18mm (.708”) bridge spacing? Not sure if the radiused single coil pickups have pole pieces with fixed optimum spacing or a bar which can accommodate different string spacing?

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Short answer is ‘no’.

Long answer is that the Brombergs use Hipshot A bridges with adjustable spacing so you can get close. Or you can just get a new Hipshot bridge with 18 mm spacing.

The pick ups are not a concern because they use bars instead of pole pieces.

16. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Brian's design is proprietary, as he owns the design rights (not Kiesel), so like mmbongo said...no. Also, an 18mm spaced A bridge will not work, unless you want to drill new holes (baseplate hole widths are different on each bridge size). Drilling new holes on such a nice bass would be blasphemy, anyway. :wideyed:

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  17. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Dave, how far are you from Reading PA? I am playing the Berks Jazz Festival there in August. It is a fantastic event for sure, 10 days long! If it's not to far and you can make it, I will make sure we can hang!

timplog, jefff100 and Core Creek like this.
  18. Enjoyed this video, thanks for posting it. Hope its not a bad thing to "cross post" this in the Kiesel thread but it was @Brian Bromberg on the album Wood that motivated me to look into getting a double bass. Amazing technique and tone. Thanks much !

fivestringgecko likes this.
  19. So I strung up my Vader BEAD today with a set of black tape wounds. Oiled the fretboard while in the process. Just love how the contrast in the natural variegated ebony comes out when its oiled.
    The tapes were a snug fit, especially the 0.135" low B in the E-string groove of the string retainer clamp. The nut needed just a slight dressing to get the string height right. Looking forward to getting some more play time on this one in the coming weeks.

2021051619220717--5370439471667038584-IMG_8567_HEIC-XL.jpg

Toptube, gzarruk, BassmanM and 2 others like this.
  20. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    That's only a few hours from me, think at least I may just go. Brian, I actually got started on your playing from your work with Magdallan! Love your style and piccolo stuff. Ever think of doing a tour like SMV? Do it with Vic and also Scott Ambush...that'd be killer!

Toptube likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021