"Official" Carvin and Kiesel Club - Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 20, 2013.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh-ish, PA
    My Carvin kids

20220129_142748.jpg

20220129_142830.jpg

osv, BrentSimons, kreider204 and 6 others like this.
  2. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh-ish, PA
    Digging the look of the three-piece body and custom truss cover.

Attached Files:

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Beautiful! I am a sucker for a cherryburst!

songwriter21 likes this.
  4. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh-ish, PA
    Bought a set of Gotoh Resolites for my LB75, but because of thicker finish over the tuner holes, I'll instead be putting Hipshot Resolites on soon (details below). I put the Resolites on my B5, because there's only a thin oil/satin finish on its headstock (not gloss). Being a little lighter, the weak spot on the G's 7th fret moved up a little to the 8th, but the new tuners are smoother, ime.

Here's the size difference between 3/8" Hipshot Ultralites, and Gotoh Resolites in the same size. The Gotoh bushings and posts are definitely bigger (the all-black ones in the pic), but they're more snug than Hipshot, but still 3/8", according to Gotoh's spec sheet. Some of my basses that have thicker finish around the tuner holes would require sanding to get the Gotohs to fit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    BrentSimons likes this.
  5. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh-ish, PA
    Beauty shot with new knobs (help with the ones I use most), and custom strap from Italia Leather.

20220206_182511.jpg

BrentSimons and timplog like this.
  6. timplog

timplog Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2016
    santa fe, new mexico
    nice! always liked those knobs.

Italia Straps are fantastic and under-appreciated in my humble, got 8 of them myself over the years.
    time it right and you can get 2 for the price of one. they're even better after you spend 10 minutes flexing and folding and generally breaking down the material between the leather front and back parts-really softens up nicely from the rather stiff feel you get when new.
    shameless plug but real experience.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    songwriter21 likes this.
  7. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh-ish, PA
    I got the 2-for-1 deal, and now got fifty bucks or so off of a third one I'm waiting on.

Here's my B5 with the other IL strap. The greenburst looks darker in the pic than it actually is.

20220207_103449.jpg

BassmanM, osv, timplog and 1 other person like this.
  8. Slidlow

Slidlow The Human CNC Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
  9. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    I've been following your main post. You have done a FIIIINE job with this one sir. Hats off to you.

Slidlow likes this.
  10. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    All done and back together. It's been an interesting trip but all is well with this Carvin again. IMG_7817.JPG IMG_7818.JPG

11. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    Quick question to all headless Kiesel owners. Has anyone successfully replaced the Hipshot headpiece? It's made of brass and I'm questioning it's long term durability.

12. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Richlite black boards are now on the menu

IronSpatula and ole Jason like this.
  13. Core Creek

Core Creek Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2020
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    Hey all, my friend is in the market for a Carvin bass - must be a 5 string and preferably neck thru - so an LB75, BB75, Icon… I don’t think he has any preferences and aside from the newer Hipshot bridges (I won’t let him go near the old Wilkinson bridges) any color or option set would be considered. He’s looking to spend $600-$800. If you have one you’re thinking of selling pm me and let’s see if we can put it in the hands of a great guy….

14. Slidlow

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    I just finished refurbishing a LB75 (see post #4910 above). May consider selling complete with case but would be a little more then what you stated.

15. Core Creek

Jan 13, 2020
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    I’m not sure there’s much wiggle room in his budget but pm me if you’d like to discuss it…

16. Ok, it's mid-March and they still don't have the bass builder up. Website has been saying by the end of the first quarter of this year. Do we think they'll make the deadline, or go over the deadline?

Also, the bass in-stock section mistakenly includes two 6 string guitars. I've been noticing they have a guitar in there by mistake rather routinely over the last few months. All the attention has been guitars for some time now. Do we think they will just stop building basses altogether?

Just wondering where this company his heading.

Marley's Ghost likes this.
  17. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I listened to a Kiesel Facebook live video where the owner addressed some of this. The online builder is on schedule to be done by the end of the month.

I think the guitars appearing in the Bass in stock section is just a simple error.

Guitarists (in my experience) are more plentiful, fickle, vain, and willing to drop ridiculous dough. All of these things lead to profit for a business like Kiesel. The owner is a guitarist and the company sells more guitars than basses, so it makes sense that guitar gets the attention. I don’t think they will drop Basses altogether, but I think they could and it wouldn’t hurt their bottom line.

I think the future of the company is looking bright. The quality is outstanding, the value is still good, and the wait times are long. Seems like a finely honed business that could probably run itself. Only thing that can really hurt them at this point supply issues and inflation, which effects us all equally.

timplog likes this.
  18. Totally agree and get that. Family of four here owning a total of 6 custom shop instruments starting with the first Carvin in 2004 and last a Kiesel around late 2017, a kit guitar from them, and 3 acoustics. (They no longer offer the acoustics or kits). Been on the BBS as a very active user of that board for many years. Over time, after Mark's exit and the split, and Jeff taking over, we started to see: former best models marginalized by being called "legacy" models, buyers of those models being called "legacy customers", pushing of new models and relatively igoring their long-standing ones, shock when traditional models were slowly eliminated, dropping acoustics, dropping kits altogether, dropping models that many said would never be dropped, and the reasoning being "we stop selling what doesn't sell." It's like they wanted to get rid of things so they stopped featuring them, and then used the reason that they don't sell as the cover story for why they are eliminated. Meanwhile, the BBS is not developed, relatively ignorned and now off the site or very hard to find. Long time careful followers know their QC has been much more wonky over the most recent years, their build times have quadrupled, and so forth. I just really wonder if basses are going to go away. I sort of doubt it, and am not panicked or being dramatic. What I see from them makes me wonder about basses, and where they're heading. No real answer to this. Time will tell.

timplog likes this.
  19. Core Creek

Jan 13, 2020
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    This tends to get rehashed here every few years. I own 3 Carvin basses, 2 Kiesel basses, and currently 4 Carvin guitars but no Kiesel guitars. The company alienated me years ago since I’m one of the “Legacy” guys. Most of the new models don’t appeal to me, along with crazy finishes and beveled edges…. Just not my thing. And sorry, but prices have been off the charts for years… I can still get Carvin guitars used for $1000 or less for what would cost new through Kiesel over $2500. But it doesn’t really matter to me…. Kiesel guitars lost me ages ago.

Having said that, my two Kiesel basses are a small step up from the Carvin basses I’ve owned. The electronics are definitely better and the pickups are more refined. Plus cooler wood options…. But new they’re seriously overpriced. I really hope they continue to make basses…. I do one day dream of owning a Vader 6 string bass…. But if they don’t, the used market is such a better value.

Jaymo likes this.
  20. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    I agree and I dream of Kiesel bringing back the LB70.