1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Crappy Bassist with Expensive Gear Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Hole, Jan 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ok CBEG members, here is my completely unexpectedly, super-secret acquisition which I referred to last week. To make absolutely certain the bass would acclimate to my home temperature, I waited until this morning to open it. It was such an agonizing and torturous wait! :laugh:

Here, we have a Ken Smith BSR6EG with Cocobolo, which I bought from @KoaFodera :) I only had a couple of minutes to noodle with it this morning before work, unplugged so I wouldn't wake anyone up. It is simply an amazing instrument!
    O23GSVS.jpg
    sjiclSZ.jpg
    6z11zDs.jpg
    I'm already a member of the BHPD Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder club. This is my 20th bass and I still have another build in the works possibly expected Spring 2020. That said, technically, I'd already been in the Ken Smith Club because I also have a B-stock KSD Burner Deluxe 6 since December 2012. (I must have a thing with acquiring Ken Smith's in December.) Although it goes against my hoarding nature but, I may consider selling my KSD... But maybe that time will come later. It's a fine instrument and it plays/sounds great but I have the real deal now.

Nunovsky, chupacerveza, AGH and 10 others like this.
  2. SRVoodoo

SRVoodoo

Feb 2, 2019
    Allentown, PA.
    that's sweet!...it's got two too many strings for me though. lol
    nice bass. congrats!

chupacerveza, TolerancEJ and DaveSill like this.
  3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Crappy bassist?......All that way up the neck???......Hmmmm:cool:

4. ACWild

ACWild

Nov 5, 2019
    A conversation with a friend of mine (who is a professional bassist) led me to believe that I belong here. I’ve played guitar for about forty years and recently switched to bass. Since switching, I’ve bought and traded for five basses in a short amount of time, bought two amps and four cabs, and put together a bass-centric pedalboard.

Each time I got something I’d talk to my friend about it only to realize that he’s got a total of three basses (5-string, fretless, and a standup), what he considers a cheap amp, and a few pedals. Basically, he owns what he needs for his gigs. He said that he’d like a Jazz bass someday (when he can afford one).

All of my gear is nicer than his (according to him) yet he plays out several times weekly while I occasionally play covers for a few bucks. Sometimes, life just isn’t fair. :)

5. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Would you like a number? Tell us more about your gear.

6. ACWild

ACWild

Nov 5, 2019
    Hahaha yes, a number would be nice! I definitely belong here. As far as the gear that I got (within the three months);

Basses;
    Dingwall Combustion
    Fender Elite Jazz 5-string
    Fender Geddy Lee American Jazz
    Fender American Professional Jazz FMT (modded with an Aguilar preamp, jack moved to bottom, and a hip shot drop tuner)
    Musicman Stingray Special 5-string.

Amps;
    Darkglass Microtubes V2 Euryon and T.E. Elf heads
    T.E. 1x10, T.E. 2x8, and 2 Markbass 2x10 cabs

Pedals;
    SansAmp YYZ, Peterson’s new Strobostomp, Digitech Drop, and a few others.

I look at the list and admit that it’s excessive for such a short amount of time. But I’m not complaining. :)

7. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012

Welcome to the club!

chupacerveza, Fat Freddy and ACWild like this.
  8. ACWild

ACWild

Nov 5, 2019
    Thanks Dave, cheers!

chupacerveza, Fat Freddy and DaveSill like this.
  9. SRVoodoo

SRVoodoo

Feb 2, 2019
    Allentown, PA.
    ooh how is that YYZ pedal?

chupacerveza likes this.
  10. ACWild

ACWild

Nov 5, 2019
    It’s great! If you’re after Geddy’s sound, it’s in there and easy to dial in. But there’s so much more! I’m using it as my main dirt pedal and it’s on most of the time. Anywhere from a very light grit to high gain, it does it well. For me, it’s one of the easiest dirt pedals to dial in.

chupacerveza and BrentSimons like this.
  11. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    WOW!!!! :drool:

That top is beautiful! Is that cocobolo?

chupacerveza and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    If only it was a seven string......:D

chupacerveza and TolerancEJ like this.
  13. Yes sir. Good thing the was already located in Canada. Cocobolo is also on CITES’ naughty list, making an international purchase very difficult.

chupacerveza and dave64o like this.
  14. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    My skills will probably never equal what my wallet can provide.

15. nitrobrother

nitrobrother Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Just purchased this - number 19 - 'cause I didn't have a blue bass. Or a Rick. A perfectly logical reason...
    2008 Rickenbacker 4003 MidBlue_02.jpg

chupacerveza, AGH, BassGen and 10 others like this.
  16. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area

My mother used the same logic for shoes and purses.

at least your obsession has residual value!

chupacerveza likes this.
  17. kiripunk

kiripunk

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples (ITALY)
    It's not my fault, the singer is a former Hell of a bassist! xD

chupacerveza and Fat Freddy like this.
  18. kiripunk

kiripunk

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples (ITALY)
  19. I would have said "There's no actual evidence that I'm playing anything other than the open E string in that picture." :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao:

chupacerveza, B-Lo and nitrobrother like this.
  20. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That's brilliant!!!

EDIT: It's now part of my signature. Credited, of course! :D

chupacerveza, R&B, drumsnbass and 2 others like this.