1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Crappy Bassist with Expensive Gear Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Hole, Jan 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    I think the quest to be "Member of the Month" might find it's way into divorce paperwork.

Marko 1, R&B and Morrighan like this.
  2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    :laugh:

sensei_steve and Morrighan like this.
  3. Doug P

Doug P

Nov 26, 2008
    I guess in this club the dues are pre-paid ???

4. Only because we don’t have any money left.

R&B and Morrighan like this.
  5. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

We pay our dues in the TB Classifieds. And pay. And pay. :help:

chupacerveza, equill, Rich67 and 2 others like this.
  6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I posted pics of my pedalboard a few times, always saying that it's now complete. Seeing I always prove myself wrong, I'll instead start saying that the current phase is now complete. :facepalm:

Here's the latest phase, with the Saturn VI replacing an Xotic EP Booster, the Queen Bee replacing a Bearfoot FX Blueberry, and the BDDI v2 replacing an original model BDDI that was developing problems.

20210420_120340.jpg

I'm sure it won't be long before I post a picture of the next phase. :D

EDIT: I loved the Blueberry and still do, but I was hoping the Queen Bee would do everything the Blueberry does and more (the key being the added Treble knob), but it doesn't seem to be what I hoped. I like that the Bueberry is a darker, warmer sounding OD but sometimes I want just a little less darkness from it and, since the Queen Bee is essentially a Blueberry with a Treble knob, I gave it a try but it doesn't seem to sound all that different. Maybe I should give the One Control Blackberry a try to see if that particular variation of the Blueberry gets me what I'm looking for. Although, I have no problem keeping the Blueberry. It's a fantastic sounding low gain, warm OD!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    equill, B-Lo, Morrighan and 2 others like this.
  7. R&B

Ha! “Coffee table ba$$” = Divorce bass?!? :eek:

Cautionary tale. My limit is Sadowsky. So far.

EDIT: Sadowskys. Plural. I cannot tell a lie, especially here! :bassist:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  8. Eldwyn

Eldwyn

May 1, 2021
    Do I qualify?

My "expensive" basses are:
    Ibanez SoundGear SR655PB 2007 In Green/blue (Value unknown - Purchased locally from a family friend for $500)
    PRS Kingfisher in Tortoise shell (new $800 USD in 2018 - purchased for $500 a couple weeks ago on reverb)

I've been playing bass for almost 2 months? so yeah I'm crappy. I'm enjoying myself and improving rapidly. I got a music theory course on coursera for free, and I picked up beginner to badass and have been working on that.

I started out on guitar (and flute) and found mechanical limiations with my fingers buzzing strings caused me to plateau and end up abandoning guitar almost entirely. I still have my flute, but stopped playing that due to a bad teacher in school basically shaming me for being a man and playing flute.
    My father is a guitarist from the 70s+ never gigged or anything just jammed out. Anyway I'm glad I'm here now!

DrMole, R&B, DaveSill and 1 other person like this.
  9. you qualified just by saying do I qualify?

TerribleTim68, DrMole, R&B and 2 others like this.
  10. Eldwyn

Eldwyn

May 1, 2021
    Lol Fair enough!
    Here's the duo! I have others not pictured here as well, a little ubass and a couple acoustics (long story) Also pardon the wall, I used to have a desk there and haven't repainted (shrug) Just did some cleaning and waxed both of them I'll take some nicer pictures and post them somewhere later when the weather is nice and clear.
    IMG_20210429_212619062.jpg

B-Lo, DrMole, R&B and 2 others like this.
  11. As member #2...my newest bass. Custom fretless...walnut/babinga/tapped PU’s/stereo.
    D718B0CD-D71A-4651-8402-B82C95F72745.jpeg

B-Lo, R&B, DaveSill and 1 other person like this.
  12. And..welcome to TalkBass!

Morrighan and DaveSill like this.
  13. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Though we joke about a sufficiently low talent-to-gear ratio, no one has ever come up with the specific threshold. So, as long as you consider your gear to be "above" your level, you're in. And there's really no point establishing a threshold because all of us here implictly know that you can always spend even more money on new gear to get your ratio back within spec, no matter how good you get. ;)

Also, because we joke around about how much we suck, we sometimes get humorless trolls in here giving us crap for taking pride in sucking. I seriously doubt anyone here actually takes pride in sucking. It's just that we don't take ourselves too seriously. If you have an ego problem, then this isn't the place for you. But, if you can handle a little self-deprecating humor and you don't mind maintaining your standing by buying nicer gear as you improve, then we'll take you. :D

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    B-Lo, DaveSill, generalduncan and 3 others like this.
  14. Eldwyn

Eldwyn

May 1, 2021
    Oh don't worry I'm actually waiting for a nice single cut 5+ string high end Cort with two truss rods to get released. I'm jumping on THAT with both feet lol May end up with an ibanez premium otherwise, but I def am liking the extended range and those single cuts are just soooo pretty.

15. R&B

I sold a bass and an amp recently. :eek: The War Department is happy.

Not to worry, I’ve been buying up preamps, tube compressors and DIs like they were about to stop making any. Some sort of vain hope that tone could boost talent. Not gonna happen.

Plus, my numerous amps, cabs, Fenders, Sadowskys, G&Ls and other assorted bassapalooza will keep me in good stead here for the foreseeable future.

Rich67 and Morrighan like this.
  16. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Hell, you're ready to gig. :)

17. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I think I gigged within 2 months of picking up a bass that was loaned to me to use. Of course before I got to said gig I did buy a Geddy Lee Jazz!

18. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    New gear helps build confidence.

I'm confident I need X.

R&B and Morrighan like this.
  19. Eldwyn

Eldwyn

May 1, 2021
    Hahaha well I guess considering playing most songs on bass requires one finger and a long line of drool from the mouth I shouldn't be terribly surprised! I'm definitely enjoying the freedom of the bass and learning just how diverse the tone and sounds you can make are. And I'm formulating tons of fills (that I can't play yet) in my mind and it's really exciting and a great driving force.

Morrighan likes this.
  20. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Offsetting all this practice with a bass scheduled to arrive Wednesday.

R&B and StereoPlayer like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021