1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Crappy Bassist with Expensive Gear Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Hole, Jan 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That post right there should be the club mission statement! :laugh:

Of course, it doesn't just have to apply to basses. There are a lot of amps, cabinets, effects, and accessories that can help maintain your club status, too.

R&B and Morrighan like this.
  2. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

”Too many notes!” - Emperor Joseph II

The purpose of the bass is to apply root notes, some 5ths, occasional 3rds, 4ths or 6ths, in a rhythmic and not excessively sucky fashion. Melody is for keys. Wanking is for, well, you know, those little bitty, trebly basses with 6 strings. :D

NativeBobcat, DaveSill and Morrighan like this.
  3. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Now don’t discredit that too much. Adding strings raises the skill level required which dials all of us more into mediocrity!

R&B and Eldwyn like this.
  4. Eldwyn

Eldwyn

May 1, 2021
    Just as many as necessary.

R&B likes this.
  5. Konza

Konza

Jun 16, 2013
    Not content with merely sucking on bass and guitar, I bought an e-drum kit. The bad news is I think I'll be even worse on drums than I am on bass. The good news is I spent twice as much as originally planned, and I don't really have a good space to set them up (yet).

R&B, Brain Fog, dirkhh and 4 others like this.
  6. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    "It's not the having, it's the getting." I think Confucius said that. Or might've been Garfield the Cat.

R&B, Konza and Morrighan like this.
  7. Konza

Konza

Jun 16, 2013
    I've said it before, but it's important to me that my heirs inherit a bunch of cool basses, guitars and amps (and now e-drums) rather than a bunch of stupid money.

R&B, Morrighan and DaveSill like this.
  8. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Had to step up my game with a new bass 'cause I learnt to spel "enharmonic"

20210504_142430.jpg

equill, Rich67, TerribleTim68 and 6 others like this.
  9. Looking very nice! Congrats!

Morrighan likes this.
  10. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    But do you have the leopard print shirt to go with the gig bag?

TerribleTim68 and Morrighan like this.
  11. R&B

No one at Nordstrand likes to spell the actual name of that bass. So they call it the “Cat Bass.” Perfect for her excellency. Congrats.

Morrighan likes this.
  12. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    All this Phil Jones stuff adds to my club cred :woot:

What we learned in the Official Nordstrand Acinonyx Cat bass club thread is leopard spots are open, like horseshoes, and cheetah spots are closed! Never can have too many nobby straps to stay ahead of any talent, alleged or purloined :smug:

R&B likes this.
  13. Hi all, I’m still working on being less crappy (it’s a long hard road) but not as much as I’m working on having more expensive gear, currently eying up a Fender Rumble 500 v3 amp.

I started out with a cheap “no idea of the maker” Bass bought off a mate to try to learn on, which I’m still doing.
    then bought an Ibanez to play live with, then stopped playing.
    And finally a decade later got my Fender Jazz Ultra to try to get back into playing.

Just wondering if I qualify for a #

Attached Files:

dave64o and DaveSill like this.
  14. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Welcome to the club!

15. Thank you,
    Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner I was browsing the classifieds.

Rich67, dave64o, DaveSill and 2 others like this.
  16. R&B

:roflmao:

Morrighan likes this.
  17. Welcome @Pilon69! Sounds like an interesting road to our little club. :cool:

I have a Rumble 150 and love it. I may be a little biased, but I think the Rumble series is pretty awesome. Don't let people tell you they are junk, lots of value for the dollars there.

So, I figured it might be fun to recap my journey to "today". I purchased a used Aria Pro II back in 1989 with the dream of being a rock star. Me and a couple high school buddies started a band because one of them was a drummer and the other a guitarist, so with me learning bass all we needed was a singer! I bought a used Ibanez X-Series "Destroyer" in 1991, which became my main bass. It had a set of EMG P/J pups in it instead of the stock Destroyer pups, but I didn't care, it wasn't 7ender shaped so I loved it! I sold eth Aria to a pawn shop after repainting it about 5 times. I purchased a couple B.C. Rich Warlocks of various colors from local pawn shops, because again, not 7ender shaped! :woot: I like the pointy ones the most! :laugh: After I stopped playing in bands around 1995 (had to get sober so I left the scene) I sold the Warlocks and my amp, but kept the Destroyer, for sentimental reasons. A few years later my wife and I got married and she bought me a Warlock Platinum Series as a birthday gift. Those two basses sat around mostly unplayed until about 10 years ago when I started picking them up again. I added the Rumble 150 and a multi-effects unit to the collection, then started getting into refinishing basses with swirl paintjobs. That new hobby added an ESP/LTD F-104 to my collection. Then the collection started growing; first with a B.C. Rich Mockingbird, then an Epiphone Thunderbird, then an Ibanez SR350, then an Ibanez Mikro (for my granddaughter), then another ESP/LTD F-104 (this one bone stock original), then an ESP/LTD B206-SM, then a Michael-Kelly acoustic bass. There's also a rack of 6 string guitars awaiting refinishes, but we won't mention those. As you can see, I went for bulk over MSRP. :roflmao:
    The Wall - 02-2021.jpg

R&B, Pilon69 and DaveSill like this.
  18. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Sigh... Now I'm GASsing...

Morrighan likes this.
  19. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Yep. Lots of people agree that a B.C. Rick Warlock needs a swirlie :woot: :roflmao:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021