1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Harmonic Booster is just very nice clean. And it is very good at adding that little extra if you need it. I can’t quite describe it. Can’t remember if I tried a Tonebone, so no good comparison from me.

Nuage420 likes this.
  2. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’d say try the harmonic booster it’s very flexible and can vary between very clean and clean with a bit more character but still very clean with well voiced EQ.
    The Radial is good very well built just not as much tonal variation but it does have additional features the harmonic booster doesn’t that may or may not be useful to you depending on your setup.
    This comes at the price of a bigger footprint though.

Nuage420 likes this.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I often use Vintage Deluxe into B7K or B7KU. I look at them as dirt pedals rather than preamps - that includes the B7KU which I run either dirty or bypassed completely. I always set them to unity gain, eventually into the front of my bass amp. Some like to boost into the B7K/B7KU to get more dirt out of it, which is perfectly reasonable, but I use Vintage for my dirt, and then tone-shape it with B7K/B7KU set to barely-there distortion. I often leave B7K always-on as my tone machine, and I'll kick in the Vintage for dirt when I need it.

Bottom line: experiment to see what works best for you. You might enjoy the additional versatility of running B7K into B7KU (or vice-versa)... but if not, you could unload one.

4. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015
    I just purchased a Harmonic Booster. I really like the way it sounds. Nice control over the midrange.

Drifter8230 and Fuzzbass like this.
  5. Is there much difference between the older B3K (3 knobs - 2 switches), and the newer B3K v2?

I've got the older one, and just love it, but I see they have the v2 on Reverb for $190+, and I haven't purchased a new pedal in a long time ... getting a little itchy.

6. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    I am considering a Harmonic Booster as well to round out my clean tone. The X7 takes care of my overdrive needs, but I need to take my clean tone into consideration too :)

Fuzzbass and Bassgeer like this.
  7. I prefer the 3 knob version. I could get the same tones from the 4 knob, but it took more dialing in. There were also more grunt settings on the 3 knob version.

Solarmist likes this.
  8. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    Does anyone use the Zuul noise gate pedal on your board? I was tweaking some sounds last night with my B7KU and noticed I got some slight noise with higher gain.

How subtle is the Zuul and does it kill the signal like some noise gates do? Most likely will be running it straight into amp as last pedal on my board rather than FX loop.

Any insight would be helpful. Thx!

9. No, but I have no issues at all with MXR's offerings. I use both Noise Clamp and Smart Gate on my board.

Nuage420 likes this.
  10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I have a Zuul. Put it in your effects loop amd run a line from a splitter right after your bass to the keyed input.

Nuage420 likes this.
  11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Just picked up a B7K Ultra v2 squid-thing version. This time I'm being a little smarter about the settings that I'm using and I'm getting something a lot closer to the vintage tones that I really want. Looked at the ADAM, but that was much larger than I thought. And then happy with the more vintagey tones, I cranked up the djent and dropped my B string to F# to play for awhile. Ok, got that out of my system. But anyways, what got me back in is the Aux In / headphones for practice and then the Cab IR. Does the IR only affect the XLR? I was expecting the headphone out to have some IR coloring, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

EDIT: The IR does affect the headphone out. User error on my part in Darkglass Suite. I was double clicking the IRs and expecting that to load them. Nope, you have to click the obvious "LOAD" text on the far right. Now I hear a difference in IRs.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Nuage420 and sunbeast like this.
  12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The IRs are permanently on with the headphone output (unless they added a disable in the Suite), the IR button on the pedal only affects whether they are on for the XLR out

13. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Yeah, I wasn't getting any difference in IRs when switching them in Suite, but I wasn't actually switching them. Just used to the double-click to select paradigm.

Nuage420 and sunbeast like this.
  14. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I picked I the same one last week. I'm very impressed with the low end retention and the versatility.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt obligated to crank on all the dirty bits and give it hell first. I'm messing with the HB and HL in front of it. I haven't done headphones yet or hooked up the suite. I'm assuming it'll only allow a single cab sim and it's either on or off?

15. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes you can only have one IR loaded on the pedal, but there are a big list of free DG ones to choose from in the Suite and you can add 3rd party IRs to the Suite/pedal as well (I used a few of the Lancaster Audio ones in my Ultra pedals).

Nuage420 likes this.
  16. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Interesting discovery this morning... the AUX only outputs through the headphones. I'm rather curious as to why. I would have thought it would output the pedal and headphones. Possibly muting the output when headphones are attached. Lucky for me my amp has an AUX but for those without that this isn't as viable as an all in one as I thought. Did I miss something? I didn't see anything in the suite to adjust AUX.

17. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I’m curious the application where you would want to send an auxiliary channel to your amp? I’m pretty sure that feature was designed as a headphone practice tool rather than for live use, so you could input songs or drum machine into the pedal and practice along via headphones with an amp-like tone (DG preamp + cab-sim). I can’t really think of a preamp pedal that has an aux-in feature that does get sent to the output (though pedals with extensive routing options available like the Helix pedals may be capable of this?).

The Aux-in on your amp gets sent to the speaker as well? Most aux-in on amps also get routed directly to the headphone out in my experience...

18. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    It would be cool to have if you add a synth to your setup, but even small club PA systems are getting better and have more inputs so it's less of a need.

Nuage420 likes this.
  19. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Practice without headphones is a big one. I have pretty good headphones but it'll never be the same as playing through my amp. My little ampeg has an aux volume knob too. There's an awful lot of reasons. Maybe solo performance with your backing track blended in?
    20210131_111614.jpg

20. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    And come to think of it, I'll be buying a small travel combo here soon to bring with me for a few months of hotel living. I'll need to make sure whatever I grab has aux. Most likely I'll grab an ampeg ba108 since I know it does.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021