1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are lots of options in any pedal that would be cool, but that just wasn’t the purpose of the stereo aux-in on this mono pedal (that would be better done with a small mixer or a stereo input pedal).

2. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Heck it's even a selling point on the element to output backing tracks via aux or Bluetooth?

3. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wait do you have an Element or one of the Ultra pedals? Because I think that routing should be possible in the Element as the aux-in on that pedal is useable as a stereo input when using as an audio interface in the computer (though not certain on that as I think the 1/4” jacks on that pedal are isolated from the digital circuit just like the Ultra pedals). The Ultra preamps are not full-featured utility devices like that though, and the manuals clearly state that the aux-in is routed to headphones only. That’s actually far more useful for me as someone who sometimes plays live over sequenced tracks, because I can send the tracks to the aux-in to monitor while sending the house or stage amp just my bass signal (eliminates the need for a separate headphone monitor router in a pinch). Still even that is really beyond the design purpose of the Ultra pedals (the Element would be much better in this regard)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Nuage420 likes this.
  4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Apologies for having a different opinion. But I guess I’m using a B7k for a normal bass tone and the distortion button for more Motown, so my use case is different than most.

Nuage420 and sunbeast like this.
  5. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I’m not trying to be dismissive, just this whole things seems kinda silly to me given the pedal does exactly what it was advertised to (clearly written in the manual). I’m sure I could find some utility to what the OP thought he was getting, but I also never expected that utility from one of the Ultra pedals. I can think of tons of things I think I would do different when designing one of those things to fit my own quirky needs/wants (would probably have more switches and knobs than a Quad Cortex), but I’m not an engineer and try to research options and features thoroughly before buying to fit my needs!

6. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    And yet we have v2 and v2 (Aux In). Guessing there might be a v3 somewhere down the road. If there were an option in Suite to turn on Aux In to outputs, that could be useful.

7. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 1/4” output on the Ultras is pure analog/isolated from the digital circuitry, so I don’t think it could be a software fix and would require some hardware modification. Given that DG is getting into digital modeling hard now, I could certainly see that as an option on a digitized version!

MD-BassPlayer and Nuage420 like this.
  8. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I bought the element when it first came out, but returned it qhen I realized it didn't have battery power and wouldn't be useful to me in the capacity I wanted to use it in. I opted to buy a second Vox Amplug for quick easy compact practicing.

I definitely think they should have could have made the aux feed the output and headphones. I'm fine, it'll more than serve me I just went to feed my drum loop into the b7ku and nothing came out.

9. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Just played through with my ipad and headphones. Man this sounds great, being able to eq and add some grit for a chorus is pretty cool. Just haven't had time lately. With our dog recovering from surgery I couldn't play out loud. Still can't but I can at least be in a different room for a bit. Might have to sell my AMpeg DI, this sounds so much better(the AMpeg DI ain't no slouch either)

Nuage420 likes this.
  10. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    25FC293F-08BF-4464-8309-1B752094CB02.jpeg

kranahan and Nuage420 like this.
  11. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I looked at the Element briefly and was considering that as a means to add headphones / Aux In to my pedalboard for practice, but unless I missed something in the descriptions, there isn't a 1/4" out to run to an amp. You can run a 900W amp into it, but you can't put it at the end of a pedalboard and use it as a means to connect to both a DI feed and a 1/4" amp input.

12. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I've pulled a lot of pedals out to minimize the chain with DG stuff and I was going to sell them. But I realized the B7K distortion can't sound like my MXR M80, or my ODB-3 (really freaking close admittedly), it can't sound like what I get get from my angry driver either. So they will go in the box until needed. The M80 will probably be out often for Thrash tones. Thr DG sounds better to me right now for a lot of stuff, but might not fit all situations. Like @MD-BassPlayer I'm not the stereotypical DG customer. I'm using the b7k more for funk and jazz tones... I love metalcore djenty proggy stuff just as much as the next guy but my chops are far from capable to play through or create in that genre.

13. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thinking about it, even the Element 1/4" jacks aren't connected as outputs to the digital circuitry (they can both be used as inputs, but any output is just a passive connection to your input signal) so even on the Element I don't think the Aux-in could be sent to the 1/4" outs. You can look at the block diagram of one of the newer DG amps to see how what you're looking for would require completely changing the hardware signal path (the preamp output comes before the digital circuitry, while the aux-in comes after it so neither is actually running through it and so it couldn't be adjusted by the software at all: https://www.darkglass.com/app/uploads/2019/01/M900v2-Manual-v3-Website.pdf ) .You could obviously wing it by connecting the headphone out to your amp, though you wouldn't get a summed mono signal so one channel of your aux-in would just be missing. I am curious if your amp aux-in sums the stereo channels when playing through the mono speaker or if it is just giving you one side?

Nuage420 likes this.
  14. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Yeah I find myself leaning towards blues, blues rock and country. this covers that and then some. The MT and B3K just add enough flavor without needing more pedals at the moment....not that I'm selling my MBD-1 anytime soon

Nuage420 likes this.
  15. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You absolutely can do that- the 1/4" jacks on that pedal are in parallel, so what comes in goes out unless you use them as dual inputs (which is an option, just like on a Countryman or most other DIs). It works just like most standard DI boxes in this way. You don't get any of the digital manipulation- IR or EQ/etc on the 1/4" output though, those are only in the headphones and XLR (or into your computer when using as a digital interface)

kranahan, LowRenzo and Nuage420 like this.
  16. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    If there's any pedal building wizards in here that could make the aux input play through the 1/4" and give me a volume knob I would be very interested in making that mod.

17. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I'll take a number too, this is a keeper :D

Nuage420 likes this.
  18. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Oh man, I never even thought about getting a number. I too would like a number

redstrand likes this.
  19. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    In other topics... messed with some cab sims last night and the ones from the ADAM are absolutely WICKED I forget which one I put on the kracken but I am pretty sure it was 2.

20. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I bought the RedWirez IRs last night. Way too many variations to bother with. I ended up liking the 212 / 410 / 810 cabs by some artist that starts with a J - John or Jason, maybe. No idea whose cabs, but those three cabs were nice and allowed enough variety for me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021