1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    John, those were my favorites when I was trying out the element. Apparently we seek similar sound qualities in our tone.

MD-BassPlayer likes this.
  2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You could get an active mini mixer for the price of that mod and open up all sort of input possibilities to whatever amplifier. Since your amp is just mono, route the output of your drum machine to mono (should be an option in most hardware machines) or run the stereo input into a splitter cable and run each side as a separate mono input into the mixer (there is probably a cheap mixer out there with a stereo to mono summing feature too if you look). Something like this should do the job nicely: Behringer Micromix MX400 Line Mixer

3. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    But I want it in my B7k? I just boxed over a grand worth of pedals to slim down my board, I'm not at all worried about the cost of the mod. I want a feature on something I have and lack the skillset to do it myself so I'll gladly pay a reasonable price to get what I want, if it's possible.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I just took a peek inside the B7K Ultra v2 (Aux In), that's not going to happen. Technically, it's all electronics, so it is *possible*, but the amount of work necessary to do something like that would be crazy. And Doug left a note, I guess that's for Behringer.

8434F4B9-0756-46F9-B7BD-3F49DD625F19.jpeg

Nuage420, hbabels and AB Nate like this.
  5. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Yea... is that some kind of ancient hieroglyphic scroll? My tiny brain can't comprehend any of that stuff. I'll take your word for it though. Oh well, as cool a feature it would be I'm not hurting for it.
    20210131_125026.jpg

Love this though!
    Screenshot_20210131-141218_Firefox.jpg

6. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    So can I use my MT V2 amp as a DI into my iMac? (I have the cable) would it record the aux in too?

[email protected] and Nuage420 like this.
  7. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Do you mean USB? No. The USB is just used for loading cab sims, etc.

8. johnyrocksville

johnyrocksville

Feb 22, 2020
    Just turned this $300 bass into a beast! Added the Tone Capsule and an Aguilar AG 4M pickup. So much definition and a huge range in tones!
    FF4D455A-76C7-4F59-84DD-7F85D433E170.jpeg

9. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    @LowEndLobster would be proud of you

LowEndLobster and AB Nate like this.
  10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The problem with that is that you would ideally have to add a buffer to split the signals at the output since it is the headphone amplifier that probably provides any buffering of the aux-in signal from the bass signal if it even has buffering at all- you might test this by plugging and unplugging an active aux signal while playing bass and seeing how it affects the bass signal through the headphones. Without buffering, simple passive mixing of the bass signal and aux-in with a potentiometer is going to degrade the sound quality of both sources (if you’ve ever used a passive mixer for multiple instruments you will know the pain). In this case you’d be just as well off just running the headphone output of your pedal into your amp input.

An active mixer would work FAR better for this purpose and they can be found cheap and compact. There’s probably a small pedal size active mixer out there specifically made to mix a 1/4” mono signal and a stereo aux signal to a mono 1/4” output made by one of the utility builders like Saturnworks.

I’m sure someone could build an active buffered blend for the Aux-in into a B7K Ultra, but it would be a decent undertaking given the cramped internals as is. If you’re serious then I’d take some gut shots and send pictures to some pro pedal modders.

I guess that’s all I can offer on the subject. Good luck!

WasabiChicken and Nuage420 like this.
  11. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Another odd thing, my gtk core can interface with USB.

12. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Sorry, not sure what that acronym is.

13. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Right on, I'm learning and I downplay my ability to comprehend electronics. I have a decent automotive background which includes TONS of wiring and electrical work. I loathe it and try to avoid it at every opportunity lol. This makes sense though. I'm merely a guy with a hobby who hopes to make it a part time gig when I retire.

14. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Boss GT-1000CORE

15. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I just got a core as well so that should pair with the MT pretty well

Nuage420 likes this.
  16. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    As an audio interface via USB? No, but obviously you can DI out into a separate audio interface for recording. Only the Element and ADAM can be used as digital audio interfaces. According to the block diagram of the amps, the aux-in only connects at the headphone amplifier so won't be heard at any other output. Apparently the ADAM and Element can both send the Aux-in as a stereo input channel into a computer when used as an audio interface

Nuage420 likes this.
  17. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Cool on the Adam, I have the DI to 1/8” for the computer, I don’t need the aux in to be recorded so that’s ok
    edit, I’d be plugging into the mic port

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  18. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Pretty sure the quote isn't about Behringer. People with knowledge of the history of Darkglass and its partner companies probably can guess what it's really about. (At least, in my own reading between the lines.)

19. WasabiChicken

WasabiChicken

Jan 30, 2020
    Sweden
    I'm on the wrong continent so I can't help you directly, but for what it's worth I'll just mention that I'm 99% certain that you don't need a wizard: more like a sorcerer's apprentice.

If I understand you correctly, it looks to me like a summing two channel mixer is sufficient here. They make those in passive form for peanuts (check out this thing by Saturworks) and I expect that an internal one can be made without de-soldering anything on the board, instead you'd hook in the mixer at the connectors.

Bring a basic schematic like this one to any local hacker that has held a soldering iron, and he/she should be able to come up with something. The one tricky part I could think of is finding room in the casing for the added pot and the wires.

(While we're on the topic of modifications we'd like to see, I'll mention my favorite: an effects loop input jack. That, I think, could require an actual wizard ( :( ), but I'd be hella nice to be able to have modulation effects after the preamp & distortion but before the cab sim IR going out the XLR jack.)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Nuage420 likes this.
  20. For me, the lack of an FX loop kills the Ultra Pedals. I use FX after dirt, and it's not possible to use all the features of the current Ultrasound and do that effectively.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021