1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    ^ I really wish Douglas makes an upgrade to the Duality, like a Duality Ultra with more eq options and a gain knob.

Nuage420 and Planespotter like this.
  2. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Can you adjust volume and eq / b3k-vmt through the DI? hooked it up earlier and it just had one tone

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like you had the Pre button pushed on the rear of the amp (meaning you were taking the DI signal pre-EQ/preamp).

redstrand likes this.
  4. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Good call, I'll test it in the morning. We lost power in this arctic blast. Everything just turned back on. Finally have my desktop stuff sorted for recording and want to use the DG...a bunch

5. Dang. Glad you're back up. Too cold to be without power. I'm not that far from you - looks like we'll be getting a beating weather-wise this week.

6. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Thank you, had the extra heater. The well froze over yesterday when power fluctuated to start the day. Ended the day with absolutely no power. We’re fine now. Still no water but heat is working well.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My handle is Fuzzbass, but these days all I ever use is overdrive/distortion (or stacked combinations). I still like fuzz, but there aren't many opportunities for me to use it.

That said, I look forward to your thoughts on the Duality. I've never owned it.

Nuage420 likes this.
  8. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Finally had a chance to sit down and run through the settings. Love love love this amp DI to the iMac(through my scarlet 2i2). The third cab setting was super dank, lovin it. Being able to eq quick and just add flavor as needed is what I wanted, not only can I practice with killer tone, I’ll be recording demos too.

9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Alright, stupid question of the day.

On the B7K Ultra, does the 4-band EQ affect both the clean and OD side? Or does it only affect the clean side, while the OD remains independent?

10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The EQ is at the end of the circuit, so it is always on and affects both the clean and dirt

11. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    :thumbsup:thank you!

12. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I just got a second hand Hyper Luminal. It sounded just fine out of the box, then I connected it to the Darkglass Suite and I changed some settings for tight picking metal..... holy cow, this compressor is tight as hell !!! even with the blend all the way up is still punchy and tight. I have been using the Empress Compressor for long time and it has been my go to compressor because of its transparency, but I hadn't been able to make it to sound punchy. Sorry Empress, you have been replaced.

Should I worry that my pedalboard is 70% Darkglass now? o_O

13. Well, I've tried it at home and down at the rehearsal spot, and it's a go big og go home type of fuzz. (no gain control)

Nice tones, both the right side high gain and the more gated left side. Filter tames the high end nicely, Clean blend is the standard darkglass blend an volume is for the fuzz signal.

Would like to have tried it out with a band, to see how it handles in a mix, When it sound cool by itself, it most definitely gonna be too much in a dense mix. Or is it?

With blend around 9-11 ish and with a softer touch it can be a bit touch sensitive with the duality towards the right.

Left side duality is synthy af. Had lot's of fun with that side, envelope and phaser. (I never in a million years gonna use those kind of tones in a live situation.)

I mostly use my Alpha Omega as a "Fuzz" sounded pretty soft after trying the Duality

Here's hoping Covid-19 get's the boot so I can jam with some live specimens and see if it's usable in a live mix or just a funtime kind of pedal. I'm just happy it's a Fuzz with a blend.

<- just trying out the different Duality sounds. Warning - cell-phone mix and questionable technique.

Jakeman, Nuage420, silverfoxx and 3 others like this.
  14. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Curious if anyone has general settings for the HPF/LPF they use with their X7's? I'm sure it's rig dependent to some extent but thought I'd check as I've gotten a little off track from the punchy and tone I first had dialed in (and didn't know where they were set lol). Shouldn't have messed with it!

15. Fuzzbass

There are countless variables: rig, bass, other components in the chain, personal taste. I tend to go for clangy aggressive tones: high gain, HPF maxed, LPF around noon. But there's lots of goodness in the X7... it'll do more traditional dirt tones too. For punchy you probably want to set the LPF higher, the HPF lower, or both.

A friend of mine takes cell phone pix of his favorite settings. I haven't bothered because I generally know how to get my favorite tones from my favorite pedals. That said, there have been exceptions, so I understand the frustration of finding a killer tone, experimenting with other tones, then wishing I remembered how to get that original killer tone. In one instance a killer tone came from stacking B7K with another pedal, but later I wasn't 100% sure which other pedal, or how it was set. Should have taken a picture!!

Ryno1330 likes this.
  16. Fuzzbass

While I'm here: been using the Harmonic Booster with Darkglass and other dirt pedals (this weekend it's the Tech 21 SH-1). It's such a cool tool for putting the finishing touches on a tone even when I'm already happy with that tone.

Of course the HB2 works great all by itself... but I like dirt.

DJJazzV, Aldousv and Nuage420 like this.
  17. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Does anyone know if the Microtubes 500 v2 can really do 450 watts @8ohms? That's what the manual says. Just never heard of a 500 watt amp(@ 4ohms) that does 450 watts @8ohms. If this is accurate, my 8ohm Barefaced Four10 will have a new friend.

Nuage420 likes this.
  18. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Do you use the HB before or after drive?

Nuage420 likes this.
  19. Fuzzbass

I've typically used it post-drive, but could easily imagine using it to tweak the signal before it hit the OD circuit: cut lows to emphasize dirt on mids/highs, trim highs so they're less abrasive, focus the mids, etc etc.

Drifter8230 likes this.
  20. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Yea, that doesn't sound right?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021