Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    I am thinking about getting the element, can anyone tell me if you can connect your pedal board to include the element into the front of a darkglass amp and plug headphones into the amp and still hear the bluetooth music that's connected to the element or do you have to plug headphones into the element to hear your bass and music? Hope that makes sense. I know the amp has the aux in as well, but for the times the amp isn't available I'd like to be able to play with or without the amp. My 900V2 has to go to Korg because I've been having issues with the amp staying engaged on the microtubes and pushing the button doesn't change it back to clean and it doesn't change between b3k and vmt. I have to power off the amp to reset it. Korg said it would be 4-6 weeks, looking for something to use in the meantime as well.

2. Bluetooth audio only goes out to the headphones on the Element, it doesn’t go out the 1/4” output or XLR DI.

Fuzzbass, PhatBottomBass1 and Spooge like this.
  3. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    thank you. I might get it to use while my amp is in service, not sure if I'd keep it once I get it back.

Derek Williams likes this.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Running three compressors (maybe the X7 makes that two-and-a-half ;)) isn't necessarily a bad thing, and can even be a great thing. Nothing wrong with experimenting.

The HyperLuminal is an excellent full-featured compressor that offers three different modes... but the 900v2 compressor is good for a one-knobber, so maybe you'll decide that the 900v2 and X7 comps are enough.

Oh... not sure if it's true for anyone else, but on my 900v2 compression starts happening before the comp light comes on, and there have been times that occasional flashing has resulted in too much squish for my taste, so I rolled back comp so the light rarely or never flashed. Maybe it has to do with how my levels were set (shrug).

Derek Williams and Spooge like this.
  5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I have a Forte and a pair of chrome faced HT112 cabs.
    I usually run my Adam into the front of the Forte and it sounds amazballs for heavier stuff.

I run my MicroTubes Ultra, B7k and Hyper Luminal into my Noble pre- and into the effects return of the Forte.
    Mainly because I don’t need/want that many gain stages and EQ’s. And hell, not gonna lie, just the Microtubes into the Noble.....nothing really touches the tone of that setup and I don’t want to mess with anything else in that path.

But yes, Darkglass pedals play very very nicely with the Forte.

if you do that trade, and not like the 115, please let me know. I’d be interested in it.

Murph_Orpheus and Fuzzbass like this.
  6. I'm making the trade this evening! Looking forward to trying it out. I'm also hoping to buy a Berg HD210 that I came across recently to add to the HT115 for a more flexible setup. My main rig is 2 TC RS410's (for my original band) which I love but the Berg's are going to be for home, studio and any other gigs I take on.

But to keep it on topic, I can't wait to run all my Darkglass pedals through the Forté and compare it to the M900!

7. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    wondering if everyone has a preference on using a dedicated preamp pedal into the front of their DG amps or running into the return bypassing the amp preamp? I use the X7 at times, but don't have a true preamp pedal running all the time and I run into the front of the amp. My basses are spector, one with tonepump, one with haz for reference.

8. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    You could add something tubey like the ones @IvanBassist has been sampling on his YouTube or rock those killer preamps in your basses.
    I guess if you really like stacking though, you could add something like the HB.

Nuage420 and Spooge like this.
  9. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    I've been messing with running the basses through the clean side of the amp, as well as leaving the VMT or B3k side engaged all the time as my "clean" or always on mode. Just wondering if I'm missing anything by not stacking a B7K or HB in front of it.

10. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Lol. Of course you are.
    Your missing the B7k or HB!!!!

just giving you the gears. All the amazing options we have though these days sure does make it hard to stop at amazing when Moar is out there

11. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    lol! funny thing is I've owned the HB and B7k before I owned a MT900V2, but sold them both and bought a hyper luminal and X7. Debating on selling the HL for a HB or B7k, using onboard comp, and experimenting there. Might have to add a noise gate stacking all these pedals together along with the hot preamps in the basses. Don't want so much white noise that aliens start talking to me! :roflmao:

AB Nate likes this.
  12. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    I like how my Noble sounds in front of my Amp (Bass > Noble > amp 1/4" input"), but running it into the effects loop also works pretty well.
    However, the main reason for me for a keeping a separate preamp/DI in front of the amp is because I send the signal from there to FOH. I rarely play in venues where I need my amp to fill the room. That way I can tweak my amp to fit the stage without worrying about messing what the sound person is doing :)

bjelkeman, Spooge and AB Nate like this.
  13. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Correct me if I’m wrong. My knowledge is limited on this stuff.... and I guess this is the wrong thread but refferring to the signals to FOH. The Mesa TT allows you to do this very thing without the pedal If you run DI pre vs post? Does the DG heads do this also?

Am I off basis on this assumption?

I guess your probably look do add the pre to your FOH signal though too vs just a clean DI

14. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I’ve been curious about the HB as well. For my passive basses it might be a nice addition but considering my main players are either rocking a DG pre or Haz or.... I’m just having a really hard time justifying it

Spooge likes this.
  15. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    if I understand your question correctly, yes the darkglass MT900V2 has 2 DI outs, one pre, one post. So you could send just one or both to FOH if you want.

AB Nate likes this.
  16. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Yup.
    You can also send send either a Post or Pre-EQ signal to FOH directly from the TT. I did that with my WD for many shows before I got my Noble

17. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Right. Ok. So on the TT800 the pre isn’t affected by the master volume or anything else but the post is

assuming the same on the DG

IvanBassist likes this.
  18. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    yes as far as I know

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The way it's worked out for me is that I typically use my 900v2 in dirty mode with no pedals, or in clean mode with dirt pedals in front.

When I use pedals I always use the front input of the 900. I start out with amp EQ flat, but always want the amp's EQ and LPF in my signal chain in case further tone tweaking is needed. It's also nice to have the onboard comp available if desired.

I have stacked pedals into 900v2 in dirty mode a couple/few times and liked it, but I've been doing pedal stacking for years longer than I've owned the amp, and have developed my favorite pedal combos. So, that's why I typically keep the amp in clean mode with pedals.

All of the above is simply my preference; I'd never try to say it's the better way!

20. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    what is this LPF you speak of? is that the first slider on the eq?? Or is the LPF built in automatically?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021