Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The Tone control. As you dial it counterclockwise it rolls off higher frequencies.

2. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    Always thought it only worked with the microtubes engaged? No?

3. Fuzzbass

I just tested and you are correct. Not sure why that design decision was made as the LPF would also be useful in clean mode, but no big deal.

Spooge likes this.
  4. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Just recorded a vid about the B7k :)

lgrankin, Nuage420, Bassinga and 5 others like this.
  5. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague

Not meant to promote the 'podcast' itself, but this is the first snippet I can share of an upcoming EP!

Recorded the bass using the Omicron for distortion, and it's absolutely filthy solo but sounds mostly just clunky and almost clean in a mix. Love how it ended up sounding.

We were aiming for a balance between modern clarity and the slightly more old-school raw-ish mixes.

Warning; careful with the volume as there is a bit of a spike!

6. TE="IvanBassist, post: 25321686, member: 119551"]Just recorded a vid about the B7k :)
    [/QUOTE]
    Phenomonal tutorial. Fantastic playing and song choice:thumbsup:

gregmon79, IvanBassist and Nuage420 like this.
  7. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Take my subscribe good sir!

IvanBassist likes this.
  8. IvanBassist

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Phenomonal tutorial. Fantastic playing and song choice:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]
    Thank you! I appreciate it! :hyper:

Nuage420 likes this.
  9. Fuzzbass

Nicely done! :thumbsup: I also run my B7K/B7KU at low gain. For harder rock/metal I often use more distortion than you did on the Maiden tune, and when that's the case I stack another distortion pedal or two into the B7K, using B7K as the finishing touch: it tightens up the distorted tone and adds sparkle (or clang or whatever).

Nuage420, DrMole and IvanBassist like this.
  10. IvanBassist

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Yeah. Stacking two drives is really cool!

Nuage420 likes this.
  11. Yep my B7K is my always on pedal at the end of my drive chain, with the gain set low enough so it's boosting and adding even more grit and sparkle. It's been on my board for 8 years now, hands down one of the greatest pedals I've ever owned.

IvanBassist, Fuzzbass and Nuage420 like this.
  12. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    anyone running an always on preamp in front of the MT900 amps? If so, what and why... if not, why? Are you using a preamp with the clean setting, running a preamp with the microtubes section engaged, or running just clean or microtubes and no preamp pedal? Just trying to get opinions. Myself, at the moment, am using the amp in microtubes for my "clean", using an X7 for heavier stuff. Wondering if anyone is using something like a b7k, or sansamp, or hx. What would be the benefit of using a sophisticated amp if you are coloring or altering the always on tones. Is it for the cab sim? Dual DI outs? Built in comp? Just curious. Always on the tone shaping hunt and efficiency. Background on my preferred tones and gear, I'm using Spector basses with EMG/Haz preamps onboard. If I was in a cover band, I'd be playing things like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Avenged Sevenfold, Bad Wolves, The Warning, Pop Evil, Shamans Harvest, Godsmack, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Volbeat, Judas Priest, Rage, Killswitch Engage, Ghost, etc to give some context to the tones I'd be after.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  13. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    what does your chain look like with the B7k at the end?

14. My initial chain is wireless into tuner into Super Symmetry which then goes into a Decimator G String II. Then within the effects loop of the G String, I run my X7 into my B7K for an always on overdriven tone. But I also have an Abominable Electronics Oppressive Cult Destroyer on my board too. Then I run out of the G String into an Aguilar Octamizer and then into my amp. Loads of other drive pedals that aren't on my board that I mess about with at home. I love all of them, it's just the combo of the X7 and B7K works best for the band I'm in.

15. I also have a Harmonic Booster which I'm thinking of adding into the chain before the Super Symmetry.

16. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    I have the Hyper Luminal and X7. So you'd be putting the B7k after the X7 and leaving the B7k always on and using the X7 for heavier needs?

17. Yep, I love how the B7K just adds that perfect sheen to everything at low gain (drive set to about 10-11 o' clock for me). The X7 and B7K are both always on.

18. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    both always on huh? Is that because you like the sound of them blended together or is it to take advantage of the LPF/HPF with the X7? Any sound you could compare it to or I could check out to get an idea of how they sound the way you have them set up?

19. Yeah I've been stacking 2 drives for the last 8 years, ever since I got the B7K to be honest. I always use the B7K as a low gain tone shaper at the end of my drive chain as it just seems to work in combination with any pedal I put in front of it. With the X7 being high gain with tremendous low end retention, it's just been my favourite combination so far. Not sure if there are any clips out there that might reflect my setup, but my band is releasing a new single soon enough and I can share that when it's released to give an idea if that helps any.

Spooge likes this.
  20. Fuzzbass

Short answer: I use my 900v2 with and without the onboard effects.

Long answer: love my always-on overdrive; I use it to varying degrees for every genre. Years ago I switched from SansAmp rack rigs to dirt-pedals-plus-amp (non-DG amp). That amp was clean, and used as final EQ -- also DI when I got FOH support (not often). Complication: I started playing more gigs at which I didn't have setup time or stage space for pedals. So, I got the 900v2 with its onboard distortion modules to solve that problem.

The 900v2 sounds great dirty, but I still enjoy the variety and versatility of swapping/stacking dirt pedals. I have some favorite stacking combos, but my ears are fickle so I rarely use the same pedals from one gig to another.

End result: when pedals are problematic I use the 900v2 dirty, but when I get to use pedals, then the 900v2 is run clean. I'm sure stacking into dirty 900v2 would work great, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Spooge likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021