Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I've spent some time trying stacking and it requires significant eq adjustment which renders it useless if you're running it with the Mt engine on alone, or using it without and other effects.

2. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    How are you running your setup and how would you describe the result?

3. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I have a passive dual p bass. I typically either run the VMT on my v1 MT900 or my Damnation Audio Distortion 3. I can take a picture of settings but the eq setup works good, with the vmt or the D3, but not both, in fact aside for my X no other Distortion has stacked particularly well.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

There can be complications when stacking two distortion pedals -- that is, you can have a favorite setting for Pedal A when used by itself, same for Pedal B, but when you stack A plus B you may have to tweak one or both to optimize their synergy. But it becomes intuitive: "okay, both of these pedals are sizzly, so I'm going to have to dial back the high end somewhere when I stack them".

These adjustments don't necessarily mean that the stacked pedals become unusable when soloed. With my hard rock band I could set up three dirt pedals to access multiple tones, and multiple levels of distortion, simply by hitting their on/off switches. F'r instance B7K would be my low-gain mostly-on sizzle machine. For extra dirt and mid crunch, I could kick in my Vintage Deluxe along with it. If I wanted phatter distortion, I'd turn off the VD and kick in my MBD-1. For warmer OD tones I'd turn off the B7K and use VD and/or MBD. For my dirtiest tones -- Sabbath, Godsmack, or just having fun -- I'd kick on all three pedals, which would almost reach fuzz territory. It all worked out because I keep all pedals close to unity gain.

Are you saying there are extra complications with the 900 amp? That didn't occur to me, but as noted I haven't stacked into its distortion modules.

P.S. Obviously, I'm a big fan of dirt pedal alchemy. I often find that the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts.

5. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I just haven't been able to find the magic sauce that allows me to make it work with all three modes just by switching between them. I can probably mess with everything enough to get a good stacked sound, but it would necessitate me changing settings which throws everything else off. Plus, I'm not a digital capture or solo player sitting in front of a computer. I play in a band where even clicking pedals on and off is a little bother. I like the theory of stacking dirt pedals but the practicality of it eludes me so far.

6. Fuzzbass

Oh, I see the issue: you want to use all three modes of the 900. Totally understand how that's a complication given the non-programmable master controls.

Cheers to you for finding settings that work for all three modes. When I use the 900, I only use one mode at a time because I'm a set-it-and-forget-it gigging guy too. If I ever stacked pedals into 900 set dirty, it wouldn't occur to me to change modes. I know it could be done, but I'm also a K.I.S.S. guy and would rather concentrate on getting the best possible tone out of one mode.

Yeah, that means I stick with just one always-on dirty tone when I use the 900 without pedals. For me, the ability to change tone and/or dirt level is nice-to-have (and more fun for me, Because Variety), but not must-have: none of my bands expect that.

7. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    So to be clear for whatevers sake.....

I have the EQ setup so I can run it with my D3 without the MT engine engaged, and then switching the D3 off, I can run the VMT engine/distortion/whatever. I can't run the VMT or the B3K with the D3. At least not the way i like it, all things being equal. I can reset the eq and drive settings to run the stackable D3 and VMT, but it requires me to change almost everything around, just to get something I'm not that enamoured with anyway. In general I'm kind of digging the D3 now, but I always find my way back to thinking the VMT on the amp is just kind of a great balanced drive sound.

Plus, I'm a big fan of not having to twiddle with anything.

8. Fuzzbass

Bottom line: me too, I only want to hit bypass switches, and not turn any knobs.

There are caveats to stacking, for sure. Some devices don't play well with each other. When that happens to me, I just alternate between devices rather than stacking them.

deff and Nuage420 like this.
  9. BigLouCominThru

BigLouCominThru

Jun 3, 2021
    USA
    View attachment 4290121 Long time TB lurker here, first time poster, glad to be in the club!

Currently running: Bass > Tuner > DG HY Comp > DG B7KU > T21 BDDI > AO900

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  10. Cheers,

I have just re-aligned my pedal arrangements. I had been using a series pre-EQ Effects Loop and running:

Bass > Send > Hyper Luminal > Microtubes X > HPF > JHS Buffer > Return

Now

Bass > Hyper Luminal > HPF > JHS Splitter Buffer~

> Clean off the JHS Splitter to the instrument input (that also has the DI Output straight off this input jack)

> Microtubes X > pre-EQ Line Input.

This is a serious improvement to the blending of the more distorted signal with a constant CLEAN/CLEAR signal going into the EQ section. Also my level remains constant with or without the X kicked into the signal path. Love the X and it's mixing function and taking it to a new and better level for me.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  11. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I picked up a VUV2 recently. I had a low output issue from the XLR out to FOH that I never had with multiple other (mostly) Tech21 type DIs. The sound guy had to crank the master up almost all the way to get me back to my normal level at this venue. I was running the EQ only, not the distortion channel. Is this normal? I wouldn't think a DG pedal would hve an issue with low volume. Anything I could be missing on the pedal?

12. Check the output level in the Darkglass Suite, it is adjustable internally and could be set lower than you need. If this was a pre-owned unit this would be more likely than factory new off the shelf.

Fuzzbass, vivaknoxvegas and Spooge like this.
  13. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Ahh, good call. Will do.

14. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’d second checking the output level in Darkglass suite. Also try different IR’s. You could also bypass the IR on the XLR out just to see if that changes the volume level.
    Every Darkglass pedal I have and have had has always had a very hot XLR output. Older B7k’s we’re almost too hot at the settings I liked which I why I was happy they added an Master level on the Ultra series.

vivaknoxvegas and ArtechnikA like this.
  15. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe the T21s were running at line-level while the DG is at mic-level? I ran a 1st-gen AO Ultra for awhile and never had issues with XLR output, but can’t speak to the VU2

Derek Williams and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  16. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague

We finally released our debut EP with my main death metal band, Buried Son A.D.

Alpha Omicron into SansAmp BDDI v2 and that's literally it. We were aiming for an old-meets-new sort of sound as our influences are pretty broad.

There's one song listenable for free that really shows the sound off quite nicely (lots of different kinds of riffs). Hopefully Spotify'll get sorted soon as well.

:D

17. Damn that RIPS!

LowRenzo and Fuzzbass like this.
  18. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague
    Thanks man! :D

19. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Fantastic!

LowRenzo likes this.
  20. Just finished putting together the latest version of my board. Still need to tidy the cables underneath. I absolutely cannot wait to get back in the rehearsal room with my band this weekend as we start prepping for Bloodstock fest in the UK in August. First time playing music together in the same room in almost a year and a half!

201111521_10165091643790332_8107329439524800336_n.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021