1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Bassique

Bassique

Feb 25, 2015
    Decided to go for it and buy AOU, it arrived 2 days ago and here are my thoughts after few tweaking sessions.

I prefer the Alpha side, been keeping the mode knob around 9-11 o'clock. Not a big fan of the Omega side, even though I like the fact that it probably cuts better thru mix , but it just sounds a bit too messy for my liking, especially if you turn blend past 12 oclock.

The clean DI and EQ sounds nice, that's why I generally keep the blend around 10-12 oclock, to get the low end punch from the clean signal. I was pleasantly suprised about the impulses, my favorite so far is Foresters punch, compared it with the old impulses I've been using in the past and it had more depth and punch(a bit lacking on the high end though, but that can be fixed with the EQ).

And I still have the BK3, so I think I have enough tweakability right there :thumbsup:

2. Kombo

Kombo Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Trying something new for the eq - also using a sennheiser 421 IR from redwirez. I think I have my B3K in a good place, a small boost and there’s a good amount of breaking up when I dig in. My next challenge is trying to get the AO to stack well with the B3K

Attached Files:

bjelkeman and XXL like this.
  3. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    Used the B3K V2 with the band and really liked the results, glad I got it.

4. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Has anyone tried the B7KU's clean side with a VMT? Just sold my VMTD v1 to get a b7k but am considering the B7KU to add some modern clean tone to my vintage tube amp with the option to add modern sounding dirt with the distortion channel and getting a VMT again for warmer dirt.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The clean side of the B7KU is just an EQ. The B7K tonal magic only exists in the distortion channel of the B7KU, so if that's what you're looking for, then run the distortion channel with drive all the way down.

andrew likes this.
  6. Had another breakthrough in my old US B3K today. Recently tried rounds again, after years of only using flats. (Yeah, I’m strange by playing metal with flats.) Overall, I’m quite happy with flats, and thought the rounds lacked “oomph” and I didn’t have “my tone” anymore when I used them. However, I did have to admit that it sounded better for slap and really clanky dirt, ala my B3K. So, I tried to change up my B3K settings to get that tone from flats.

Basically, I changed settings from low blend, high level, high gain, raw bass and treble boost to high blend, lower level, identical gain, bass boost and treble boost and got an almost identical tone to my rounds. Also, both rounds and flats sound fantastic with these settings.

5+ years on, and this B3K is still delivering great new tones!

7. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Sorry I'm just a little confused, so the bypass is just a transparent EQ that doesn't add the Darkglass "sound" until you turn on the distortion?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  8. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    Bypass is bypass. Clean channel is just a transparent signal with EQ (like MXR M81 for example). You can try running drive channel with low gain tho. But it's a waste of B7K IMO.

9. Fuzzbass

Northfear explained just above.

The pedal is slightly confusing. When both LEDs are on, then the Distortion channel is engaged. When the Bypass LED is off, then the pedal is bypassed. When the Bypass LED is on and Distortion LED is off, then the clean channel EQ is active.

Note: the Attack and Grunt switches only apply to the Distortion channel, and not the clean channel. The EQ frequency switches will apply to both channels.

PWV likes this.
  10. Since I’ve been re-tooling my pedals lately, I’ve noticed a split-second hiss from my B3K when I stop. Ideally, I’d like it to go away. Tips?

Currently, I run an ISP Decimator (original one, I believe) right after the B3K and have a SmartGate in the loop. (I really like a quiet rig! You know, until it’s not...) The B3K is the only dirt that has that hiss. My Pork Loin, GK Rails Pedal, and Pharaoh Supreme are instantly dead silent. Maybe run the ISP before the B3K? I also have an unused MXR Noise Clamp I’d necessary. Thanks all!

11. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    Have you tried a different power supply?

12. I have not. It’s not bad hiss, I think it’s inherent in the pedal itself as I have it on pretty high gain (3:00). I can try a different supply, but would prefer not to, as I hate having a single supply for one pedal. I just think it’s odd that the gate doesn’t chomp down as quickly on the B3K as it does the other pedals, even though I have a gate specifically for the B3K, and all my pedals have the gate in the loop. I use a 1Spot, which I believe Doug has recommended in the past. Never had any problems with it in the past.

13. Rickter

Rickter Bassist for EverCross Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    For what it's worth, I've been trying to tame hiss on my Alpha Omega Ultra, which is usually on a 1spot line with 5 connections. I removed all other connections so that only the AOU was on the power line and plugged it into a power conditioner. Still had audible hiss. Nothing that I can't cope with, but FOH engineers have commented on the noise they are getting from me. Haven't had an opportunity to work the ground lift yet to see if that helps on the XLR side. The 1/4" outs have audible hiss too. Just trying to figure out how to best approach it.

14. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    No hiss/noise with my B3K V2 with the isolated power brick I use.

IME 5+ daisy chains will have some noise.

15. I’m sure that’s a lot of it, and it’s not terrible. Just trying to get it as quiet as possible.

16. Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    yeah, but I took everything off of the chain and removed the jumpers so that it was only the AOU on its own lead. Didn't change anything. I'll be getting an isolated power supply soon enough to rule that out fully, but want to have my research in hand just in case that doesn't do the trick.

17. Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Same here. We use a lot of dead space in our music, so the silence is important.

18. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Thank you very much guys! Does the clean side add it's own coloration (I've watched a few demos and one sounded transparent and another didn't)?

Agreed that it would be a waste of the B7K. When I turned off the VMTD (Which I ran at the end of my chain/was the only place I liked it) it sounded very drastic when I wanted to play clean or use a different drive. So my thought was to leave the bypass always on on the B7KU so that I had that clean pre-amp coloration when I turned off the drive side off.

19. Fuzzbass

I haven't noticed any coloration from the clean side when the EQ was set flat.

JN8642 likes this.
  20. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

+1

JN8642 likes this.