1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    I gotcha! After listening to a few more demos it does sound pretty transparent

2. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    How does the Vintage Ultra do on clean tones? I primarily like a clean Bass tone and I remember when I owned the B7K Ultra a few years ago it sounded rather "thin" to me. I primarily like just a straight up clean tone but it's also nice to have the distorted option all in one pedal. I like Darkglass products, I just don't like shelling out the amount of cash. And also I get how useful all the switches and all that are but I like having a pedal with just a few knobs to turn to get a decent tone rather than fiddling with switches. I've also had my eye on the old Radial Tonebone for a couple clean options in one pedal to use with my basic Boss ODB-3 Distortion pedal. The Mesa Subway is intriguing as well.

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have tried the Tonebone, a Mesa Subway amp (not the pedal) and I have Vintsge Ultra. I don’t think they are very similar. The Tonebone I thought had a boring tone. The Subway amp and the Darkglass amp (and BXK/VMT effects) are my favourite amps, not the same though. I think you need to try them. No way I could have picked what I use from descriptions. :(

4. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
    I have the Darkglass Duality. click, melt faces

Rickter and gregmon79 like this.
  5. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    I am really liking the tone I’m getting from this pair!
    B3K with a bit of germanium phatness :cigar:

DD894FD8-5D4E-4284-BE6E-E8F09F894631.

gregmon79 and GentProvocateur like this.
  6. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I have vintage ultra and to be honest, I wish I had bought the vintage deluxe instead. I, like you, thought having the separate clean and dirt channels would be useful but for me, with the way the dirt channel sounds, it doesn't work well to switch from the clean channel to the dirt channel because the eq seems to change very drastically making it sound almost like 2 different basses. Id rather the tone stay the same with just the added distortion when kicking on the dirt channel. Now when I use the ultra, when I want a clean tone, I just use the bypass switch and then have the distorton button always on so when I turn off the bypass, it goes to the dirt channel automatically. Hopefully this all make a sense to you. If not, maybe I can record some clips to show you what I mean

7. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Those were the words I was trying to put together! That's the issue I ran into with the B7KU. I found the Vintage Ultra used so I'll give it a try. Luckily the Darkglass stuff moves easily around here if I don't like it. I swear if the MXR M80 just didn't have that awful color switch automatically engaged on the distortion channel, I would probably still have it and not be asking questions about preamps on here.

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That PPB is easily one of the coolest looking pedals ever made. I miss mine at times. In a perfect world I'd a kept mine. But all in all I just dont need a dedicated boost pedal. I use the fx10 and the B7KU as boosts. Plus the B7KU gives me some added color. I can see how those would compliment each other very well though. Great combo!

XXL likes this.
  9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Have you tried running the ODB3 into the B7KU with both channels running??? I used my old B7K and the ODB3 combo for a while early on. It is a killer combo. The B7K really smooths the ODB3 out and gives it a really nice, grindy quality. I keep an ODB3 around just because of that.

mattattack187 likes this.
  10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I started running my B7KU just the clean side more and more lately. It just depends on the bass I'm using. That DG color doesnt suite all types of bass characters, obviously. But damn if that clean side doesnt help bring the thunder for me. And it plays and stacks so well with anything I run with it. The Model feT and the B7KU are great together!

11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I just got a VU and I'm getting it dialed in. Per the manual, the combination of Drive, Level, and Master is supposed to make it easier to match Bypass/Clean/Drive levels.
    A Vintage is an 'always on' for me so I'm not switching out the Drive, and separate EQ/Drive paths is not as big a deal.
    I got the VU for one reason: CabSim - I run through the PA a lot. Headphone out was a plus. The rest, not so much.
    The VU is replacing my VMTD-LE -- will be for sale soon...

12. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    I use the PPB more like a tone sweetener than a boost.
    Yeah man the pedal looks sweet under stage lights.
    Really digging the V2 the mid boost is what the B3K was missing all along.

gregmon79 likes this.
  13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Nice. I know your old B3K was like THE dirt sound for you for a long time. It was a sad day when you flipped it. I think that's how I used the PPB too when I had it. But then it didnt stack that well with my preamps and was too much when I added dirt. Which was a problem for me since I use dirt all the time as well as stack preamps. Glad you got it all worked out......for now ;)

XXL likes this.
  14. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    Does Darkglass make an overdrive like this?

with blend, 3 or 4 band eq, and on which the eq only affects the overdriven tone. For example: cutting the low mids on the eq, so the low mids come only from the dry signal while overdriving the other bands

15. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

If none of their current offers check the boxes you're looking for, I've heard that DG is working on a crossover distortion

Fuzzbass and ihaveaquestion like this.
  16. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    It's not that they don't check boxes, i love the tone just wasn't aware they made a pedal like this.

Darkglass and GentProvocateur like this.
  17. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Try 3.

18. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

What? Not four? ;) Seriously though, way to consistently raise the bar

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

:hyper: