1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Darkglass Club: Welcome to the Darkside

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 5, 2018.

1. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague
    Oh snap. Very curious.

Does that mean the design for a regular ol' VMTv2 is already finished? :cautious:

2. Summer NAMM? :D

AJBass-85 and gregmon79 like this.
  3. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    drool

AJBass-85 likes this.
  4. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Savage AF, Doug.

AJBass-85 likes this.
  5. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Sounds like someone fell down a rabbit hole. :thumbsup:

Really looking forward to these.

Darkglass and gregmon79 like this.
  6. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Formerly Guest of Honor Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    Norman, OK / OU
    Hmm. I'm curious. Before I got the Tech 21 DP-3X I experimented with biamping and split signal paths to attempt to achieve proper crossover. I used the B7KU and AOm pedals for the high end distortion on top but got no real crossover cutting out of them. After I got the DP-3X I realized the guitar distortion on top was the key. It'll be interesting to see DG's take on crossover distortion

andrew likes this.
  7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I was planning on picking up my main rig at our jam spot this weekend to bring it home so I could start experimenting with stereo/biamping rigs. I have my main Electric with the GK Neo 410 and a GK 1001rb with a Fender Bassman 410 at home. I'm hoping I can figure out a way to run these together in a cool way.

Got any pointers for me?

Guest of Honor likes this.
  8. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Formerly Guest of Honor Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    Norman, OK / OU
    Ear Plugs! Just kidding. You're probably more adept than I am so hopefully this isn't just obvious common knowledge, but I had the guitarist tackling it with me and he was mainly all about proper wattage and how the two heads are working together to emulate a higher wattage. Which is important for separating the signals so they didn't clip and create extra distortion. Keeps the high end harmonic too. Also, keep in mind phasing, placement of the speakers, and etc. After a few attempts my guitarist said I needed to try an audio electronic crossover too, so I ultimately used the HX to send the split. Since you're familiar with the HX routing and have experimented with crossover in the HX it can come in handy. By the time I got around to finding the right distortion and clean signals with the 2 amps I wanted to mix back together correctly I got the DP-3X so that's as far as I got

Edit: I just looked at the GK 1001rb and it has a biamping output. That's rather convenient!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    gregmon79 likes this.
  9. Last Friday I fulfilled my dream of playing at the same venue I went to my first gig at, and have been to countless concerts at for the last 15 years. It was also the place where I for the first time actually heard a distorted bass during the gig, not just the soundcheck. I asked the dude what pedal he used, and my love for Darkglass was born.
    Last Friday my band had a releaseshow for our debut album, and I have never worked with a more competent soundguy in my life. He just let me set up, do my thing, slammed a mic in front of my 8x10 and said "Perfect!"
    I had my A/Om always on and B7KU for toneshaping, and for the first time ever I was happy with my sound on stage and out in the crowd. How DG can sound so growly and distorted but yet so articulate and clear is beyond me, but it's safe to say I'll never need another drive pedal again!

That is until the crossover pedals turn up...

10. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Awesome story

11. Rickter

Rickter Bassist for EverCross, Precision Bass Geek Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    That is truly awesome. Congratulations. That's amazing that you played the venue you had dreamed of someday playing.

AJBass-85 likes this.
  12. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    By "3" do you mean incorporating one into each the B7K, Vintage and AO circuits?

Hypocrite and gregmon79 like this.
  13. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Not really!

X will be the forth (and possibly last) family of distortions I design.

There still are a ton of ideas, but it's hard to think of a 5th family that would bring something to the table that the other 4 (X included) wouldn't.

Stellvia, Rickter, EMoneySC2 and 5 others like this.
  14. So will the X series have a brand new distortion engine, or will it be what we already know and love? I can't imagine it getting any better than Alpha with just a touch of Omega blended in

AJBass-85 and Rickter like this.
  15. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    It’s a different pedal. Of course there will be some overlap with some settings, but due to the nature of this design and its topology it will be capable of sounds and adaptability that none of our previous products are.

JulienP., AJBass-85, Nowyn and 10 others like this.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    YUS!! Can't wait to see what you guys are cooking up!!

Rickter likes this.
  17. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Woo....more money I shouldn’t spend that I will.

18. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just what the Alpha Omega was compared to the VMT and B3K. It didn’t lessen either pedal, it added.

Kombo and Darkglass like this.
  19. todd0864

todd0864

Mar 9, 2015
    Twin Cities
    Has anyone heard if there will be a new version of the VMT coming out soon? I'm seeing some places sold out and others discounting the pedal which makes me think a new one is on the horizon.

LowRenzo likes this.
  20. colantalas

colantalas

Mar 26, 2014
    35559131_1948550915179358_3947226892376997888_o. @Darkglass , for the love of god, please release a few of these for the American market. I'd re-buy the AO again in a heartbeat for this drool

(If you didn't see Darkglass' Facebook post, this is an exclusive etching for the Japan market, based on the anime Evangelion, for which I am a gigantic nerd/fan)

In other news, Darkglass is discontinuing the Super Symmetry! I wonder if that means there's a new compressor on the way...? Either way I'm glad I have mine, never selling it now!