1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    That’s even more delicious.

JRA, EatS1stBassist and CatchaCuda like this.
  2. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    True. True. My appetite would be satisfied by some photographs!

JRA and Jawamac like this.
  3. B Dax

B Dax

Sep 8, 2018
    Wow, you guys are a tough bunch!

It’s just a stock “Glarry no fret full size electric bass guitar 4 string natural color GP bass.”

It looks just like all the other burlywood with white (yes white) pick guard specimens with sky high action.

Maybe I’ll post some pic’s after I fix it up a bit.

Interloper out.

4. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Spinning tonight- I’ve been looking for a copy of this mastered from the original tapes that was affordable for years! You can buy a cheapie copy brand new on Amazon, but it sounds terrible. So many crackles and pops, it sounds like you’re sitting in front of a fire, plus it sounds like it was recorded from a CD! Anywho, this is my favorite from Muddy. Another stripped-down beauty!

4A262309-6697-4385-9911-5D1275C02A11.jpeg

Playbyear, JRA, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  5. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida

You won’t.
    Yes, you are (an interloper) only because you created the situation you’re currently in.

DJ Bebop, EatS1stBassist and Jackcrow like this.
  6. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    Reposting in several threads because some members are unsure about how to initiate eBay help via phone call.
    ————————————-
    Go to the help section and there are two options: call us (or) have us call you. I’d recommend having them call you. eBay is very responsive with this. Have your order number ready (they can look it up too)

Start at this link once you’ve logged in.

eBay Customer Service

7E5AEF32-6359-4097-8FD4-C3652542CCC2.jpeg

You will go through a few options (haven’t received item) and will end up here to initiate the call back.

C3B9D603-4269-4E28-A5AE-224C09A8E2D5.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    MirandM, JRA, DJ Bebop and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    ‘Thanks, playbear! You can also click the "haven’t received item" option under your purchases and file your claim without speaking to eBay. Either option works!

8. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    And as DJ Bebop writes

9. Kinda BassVI

Kinda BassVI

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    Not bass related, but the green Strat style guitar I ordered from Robhe is now listed as being in Chicago, so perhaps I'll actually receive it here outside of Detroit.

Bass-related to the two we already have, my lefty neck is still showing as not having been picked up. Might call to cancel that one and ask for a refund.

Otto ordered three pickguards which arrived last week. Two tortoiseshell and one silver sparkle. I've been busy, but what with all the quarantines and self-isolation, I'll get his bass assembled and set up in the next day or two.

JRA, EatS1stBassist, Jackcrow and 2 others like this.
  10. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida

...and of course, we’ll need some pics, @Kinda BassVI! Cause it’s mighty boring around here.....lol

11. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    I have one tracking number showing in Queens, NY. Hopefully it’s delivered tomorrow.

Once it’s NBD (No Bass Day) I can get my refund.

Jawamac, JRA, imabuddha and 2 others like this.
  12. So I've been working on fixing up the Burning Fire that I got from robhe8875.

Burning Fire 1.png

Before anyone freaks out, this is one of the $40 ones from the first batch.

You may recall from my earlier posts that it was damaged in shipping. I originally asked to return it and have him send me a replacement. His initial response was to offer me a $10 refund. I probably would have accepted if the damage was elsewhere but the smashed area was on the top edge of the body in exactly the spot where your arm rests. The cracked poly was sharp so the bass was unplayable as it was. After I refused his offer, he issued a full refund.

It sat for a while because I really just didn't want to deal with it. Thought about just putting the neck on another bass but I finally decided to repair it. I removed the broken pieces of polyurethane and sanded the dent in the body. I filled the dent with gel type superglue, sanded some more (rinse and repeat), and then painted the spot gloss black. The result is far from perfect up close but it isn't really noticeable from a distance. A bit crude, but functional.

I also found that the nut slot was cut way too wide and the nut was installed at an angle. When I removed the nut it took some of the fretboard with it. Fortunately, the damage was on the tuner side of the nut and I got the pieces glued back in and the nut is now installed correctly.

Another issue is that the tuners were installed at a bit of an angle. Since they are all at about the same angle, I just left them as they were. Disassembled and greased the tuners.

I was pleasantly surprised by the stock setup. Unlike the Glarry fretless, the neck didn't need a shim. I did file the nut slots down quite a bit and did a normal set up. After filing the nut I had to loosen the truss rod but only by about 1/8 of a turn. Action at the 12th fret is about 2 mm.

Pickguard was painted gloss black. Knobs are the same "O-Ring" type that I used on the Glarry fretless. The neck was a little rough but a light sanding took care of it.

I replaced the stock pickup with a $29 Artec Alnico Fat Pole from Guitar Madness. I had previously installed it in another bass which had too many other issues so I just moved it and the controls and jack to the BF. Cap is a vintage .047uf "tropical fish" type, not that the type matters. Looks kinda exotic, though, so it's obviously a magic cap. Right?

Installed a fresh set of LaBella Copper Tapes, which are some of my favorite strings. If you've never tried them, you should. They sound great on this bass and they won't wear down the frets, which are apparently fairly soft on these basses.

Plays and sounds great. I love the chunky neck. Not sure if it's the body wood or what but both this and my Glarry are very resonant with a lot of sustain. Only downside is the neck dive but my strap minimizes that issue.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    vid1900, Jawamac, Ronzo and 8 others like this.
  13. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Awesome report FlaCharlie!:):thumbsup: The bass looks great!

Ronzo, CatchaCuda and JRA like this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

very cool! :thumbsup:

Ronzo, EatS1stBassist and CatchaCuda like this.
  15. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

It was my plan to become a member of the illustrious Glarry clan even if my robhe $17.99 bass fell through (which it has, obviously), but I scored a deal on a new white Vintage V4 P bass, so will forego the Glarry for now. This remains one of my favourite threads on TB though :)

16. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I just sold a Vintage V4 P bass (at RWB Music, you might know it @4sight ). Great basses for the money.

It was my project bass for a few years until I realised I had far too many so put it back to stock and sold it.

EatS1stBassist, JRA and 4sight like this.
  17. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

I know RWB, yeah. Small world, eh? :)

The V4 was £180 delivered, so it seemed rude not to.

EatS1stBassist, JRA and delta7fred like this.
  18. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I'm their (part time) amp and pedal tech, I go in most Thursdays to drink coffee, play any new basses (and a few guitars) that come in, and chat to Geoff.

19. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    I made some more changes to my Glarry Jazz. Since I have my other fretless put together now I decided to try a fretted Squier P Bass neck that I had on it. Plays really nice. Finally got the shim situation perfected also. I think I have 3 pieces of business card, 1 piece of construction paper, and the factory small wood shim.

Wouldn’t mind finding a cheap pickup upgrade for this one.

071EA626-09A2-4C30-AEB9-2D11FBD0A214.jpeg

CatchaCuda, vid1900, Jawamac and 2 others like this.
  20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that's a handsome piece, jack! i had to chuckle when you described the shim --- reminds me of my blonde P! FWIW: my jazz didn't need the thick shim that the P needed.

anyway, i'll be interested to know/note what your pickup resolution might be. i'm also thinking (albeit, slowly) about that very same issue. the stock pickups are fine enough to play and to gig, but mine are just not responsive enough for the long haul. i'll be interested to know what you find to your liking. congrats on your newest, modified instrument! :thumbsup: