1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    it’s nice. I wonder what it would look like with cream covers and a mint PG? Also, gotta have the pickup covers on it!i don’t care if they’re for a bass, put them on it! Eats is over there buying up all the guitars-lol!

2. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

JRA, CatchaCuda and Telanoc like this.
  3. Buz71

Buz71

Mar 29, 2018
    l finally got around to taking a pic of my Glarry. Still working on the setup but fairly pleased with it so far. Had to de-burr the frets and the action is still fairly high. E sting saddle is bottomed out so I,m thinking I may have to shim the neck, (any suggestions on this). The only thing I,ve change is the PG, didn't really care for the white so ordered a blackone on Ebay from INKMusic. Had similar prob as some of the other posters that it fit poorly. Ended up having to plug the original holes and re-drill 8 of the 10 and cut the the pocket area (made super easy with a dremmel tool).
    No additional mods planned at this time but that's always an option, especially with whats going on in the country. A guy has to have something to keep himself busy and sane.

All be safe and stay healthy

IMG_20200326_091732138.jpg

JRA, Volker Kirstein, 4sight and 4 others like this.
  4. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Typical Glarry :(. It shouldn't be a huge deal. You can purchase pocket size shims from stewmac. Others (most) may use whatever is handy- business card(s), veneer, etc. For a while, my shim was a 3/8" wide piece of .7mm veneer in conjunction with the original shim. Placed towards the pick guard, it gave me a low action with some available adjustment both ways. More recently, I took an absurd amount of time to make a full pocket shim.

Good looking jazz bass :thumbsup:
    Stay healthy too!

Buz71, JRA, Jawamac and 1 other person like this.
  5. Buz71

Buz71

Mar 29, 2018
    Forgot to ask about getting a member number, don;t know if 74 or 75 are available but would like either one, easier for me to remember. Surrently 74 and will be 75 in October.

JRA and CatchaCuda like this.
  6. Buz71

Buz71

Mar 29, 2018
    Thanks Cuda
    So my thought of using an old credit card (.74mm might be a good place to start?

7. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    You're welcome, It could be! Some need more tilt than others. I'm sure that there is a mathematical way to determine just how much you need, but I used trial and error.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Buz71, Telanoc and EatS1stBassist like this.
  8. Telanoc

Telanoc

Feb 20, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    I was going to wait for the weekend but having them in my hand... I went ahead and did it last night.

Replacing the little CF stamped pots in Maurice GIB with Bourns was not a simple swap. The pots are bigger and needed a 3/8" (9.6mm) hole. Also, there's a 12mm collar where the shaft goes into the pot body, and I had to countersink the holes a little so that the threads would come out the other side. A 1/2" Forstner bit and some careful drill handling got that handled.

This time I used a little cardboard piece to insulate the pot terminals. That looks a bit nicer than tape. I'm not sure that I hear a difference from the old pots, but they sure feel nicer. The larger nuts do scrape against the knobs if they're fully pressed down. The weekend project might be to go at the knobs with a Dremel.

I was so distracted by what I was doing that I was finished before I remembered to get a picture. DOH!

20200326_104748.jpg

vid1900, JRA, EatS1stBassist and 2 others like this.
  9. Telanoc

Telanoc

Feb 20, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Nice bass! I'm wanting a white GP but that natural look always tempts me.

My GIB is just on the edge of also needing a shim. The G saddle is all the way down with the string where it should be.

Buz71, JRA and EatS1stBassist like this.
  10. Buz71

Buz71

Mar 29, 2018
    I had ordered the white GP from robhe but I got notice this morning that I just got a refund on my order due to a false tracking number. Hay, life happens. I'm thinking of maybe order the white direct from Glarry just to see if the setup is any better than the jazz that I got from city-green.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  11. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida

#75 is yours.

JRA, EatS1stBassist and Playbyear like this.
  12. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida

Look at those yummy pots! You won’t hear any difference from the newer pots, but like you said, they feel better. You could always change the cap too. Did you purchase 500k pots for all 4?

JRA, EatS1stBassist and Telanoc like this.
  13. Telanoc

Telanoc

Feb 20, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    The pots are indeed 500k all around. Two linear taper for volume and two audio taper for tone, which felt wrong to me but that's how it was wired up.

The cap doesn't bother me at all. I've got a boatload of little ceramic surface mount caps in this fuzz pedal that the signal will be going through. This is a clone of a Frantone Electronics Fuzz which I drew up and laid out after she showed a schematic in one of her FranLab videos - I'd love a real one but they're too expensive, if you can even find one. For my first guitar pedal, it works pretty well, now that it has proper germanium diodes tacked on.
    20200326_133428.jpg

The front side, too. In case anyone's interested.
    20200326_135316.jpg
    I really love those old Datak dry transfer letter sets. I'll be sad when I've used them all up. Oh, UVR-1000 is a joke from broadcast engineering days. Any time one of the jocks would ask what we were working on or installing, it was the "Universal Voice Resonator model 1000". That's the model of almost everything I build. :D

14. Telanoc

Telanoc

Feb 20, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm waiting on both of mine to actually hit their destination (or April 6th). The alleged blue bass has been sent back off the plane thanks to a security concern three times now, which I've found out can happen thanks to one package in the whole pallet of packages. The other one has been driving around Michigan for the past 5 days. USPS tracking assures me it's on its way to the final destination, wherever that may be. All you people getting your refunds already are really irritating. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

JRA and EatS1stBassist like this.
  15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Clean good work!:thumbsup:

JRA, Ronzo and Telanoc like this.
  16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Great!:thumbsup:

JRA, Ronzo and Telanoc like this.
  17. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida

Nice man!

18. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida

Mine has/had the same delivery date, yet eBay let me file the claim early. You might be able to also. Just got my refund today on both my April 6 deliveries.

19. Telanoc

Telanoc

Feb 20, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Ok, I started the process. Apparently I have to wait until April 1 to ask them to step in.

EatS1stBassist, JRA and Jawamac like this.
  20. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida

Correct, they give time for the seller (our dear friend Robhe) time to provide tracking info, etc, which, he will not be able to-lol. The policy is ludicrous, but it’s their (eBays) policy.:rollno::spit:

EatS1stBassist, CatchaCuda and JRA like this.