1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, Nov 14, 2019.

1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA

I've done several necks and entire bodies in Tru-oil w/o issue... I wish I could tell you what's going on, but I'm surprised you are getting this problem...

Wipe on a thin, light coat, let dry completely, wipe on another.

Okay thought of one thing... did you shake the bottle vigorously to make sure it not separated?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    My first Glarry bass I bought came with a huge crack in the neck ( the factory had repaired it). I contacted the seller and they replied “We Will try to do Better!” They offered me a $15 refund And I said no so they offered me $25 and I took it. I flamed the neck and have used it for over a year on another bass. The neck is super solid and hasn’t budged 1 inch and is actually a great neck I have it on my jazz bass.

CatchaCuda, JRA, Ronzo and 3 others like this.
  3. Jawamac

Jawamac Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    My vote is for tung also! I just put some on our outdoor bench. I also used it when I stripped the paint off my Black Glarry.

CatchaCuda, C Stone, JRA and 4 others like this.
  4. Jawamac

Jawamac Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Fretless neck.

JRA, Ronzo, MovinTarget and 1 other person like this.
  5. Pearcga

Pearcga

Dec 17, 2019
    Waterford MI
    Wow, I got asked for the same thing and had the same reaction. I sent the pointless picture and he then replied with his so-generous $10 discount. Maybe we're dealing with the same guy!

CatchaCuda, C Stone, JRA and 4 others like this.
  6. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I’m this close....to pulling the trigger on a Glarry sunburst P. :rollno:

Dubious Aa, C Stone, JRA and 6 others like this.
  7. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    I shook it and it has maybe 4 thin coats on the back of the neck, not a lot. Maybe I'm just picky. I did read some other people that said the same thing. Thinking maybe I could spay another finish over it, but I did try some minwax finishing wax on it yesterday so I would have to strip that off if possible.

8. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    Is it rajej75ts5 ? He didn't offer any discount to me but I didn't send the picture.

9. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    Do it! You don't have enough basses. Makes me think of a Scott Henderson song called "too many guitars":D
    Of course we know there's no such thing.

Ronzo, Dubious Aa, JRA and 2 others like this.
  10. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Definitively naptha the heck out of it before finishing. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to strip off the oil as well if you're going to apply a different finish. Mixing oils and other kinds of finishes is asking for trouble.

Did you try a bit of super fine steel wool on the sticky finish? I've never done tru oil, but with tung or hand rubbed poly I always lightly steel wool between coats.

Ronzo, Dubious Aa, JRA and 3 others like this.
  11. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA

You can definitely do 0000 steel wool between coats. I use it at the end to bring it back to a real nice satin finish.

Ronzo, Dubious Aa, JRA and 2 others like this.
  12. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Well, I am bummed it didn't work out! The only other thing I can think of at this point is perhaps it was drying very slowing so it needed more time between coats. I wasn't there and it seems like you were doing all the right things so I'm a bit flummoxed and feel bad that it didn't work out for ya the way it did us.

CatchaCuda, Ronzo, JRA and 2 others like this.
  13. Pearcga

Pearcga

Dec 17, 2019
    Waterford MI
    Yes it is! No reply yet from his end to my protest about the insufficiency of the $10. He has my proof-of-life guitar photo. This fiasco is more entertaining than the guitar will be.

CatchaCuda, Ronzo, Buz71 and 3 others like this.
  14. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I finished setting up my jazz. Raised bridge pickup and wow! These G.M.s never fail to deliver! Just has be at the right height. Lowered my action set the intonation. And my jazz delivered the goods! The bass has La Bella Black Tapewounds. I’ve got the first Glarry neck I bought on it. The neck with the crack in it. The neck is very solid. I sanded the neck to a thinner profile flamed it and used Tru-oil on it. No problems drying but I did it in the heat of summer.

Attached Files:

CatchaCuda, Ronzo, Dubious Aa and 5 others like this.
  15. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    I might try wiping it with mineral spirits and let it dry good and then a thin coat. Some say you can spray lacquer or poly over it too. If you do some googling there is a lot of discussion about the tack thing. I maybe didn't wait enough time between coats, sounds like 24 hours is a good idea.

Buz71, EatS1stBassist and JRA like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

speaking of which: guess what arrived early...way early? :hyper:

it's still in the package --- but, as i have some family biz to take care of today/evening, and will be in and out of the house, i'll post some 'unveiling' pics in short order (later tonight or first thing in the morning! yay!!!

:hyper:

CatchaCuda, Ronzo, Dubious Aa and 3 others like this.
  17. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    JRA, Buz71 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  18. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Dubious Aa, Jawamac, JRA and 3 others like this.
  19. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I've never had to wait that long... Then again, I've done it typically in a very dry moderately warm environment which may or may not be your case... my dad showed me a trick that you check with the back of you finger if it's dry... This is because you tend you have less body oils/dirt there. I just run the back of my knuckle over the oiled area to see if it's completely dry before doing another coat.

Dubious Aa, JRA, Buz71 and 2 others like this.
  20. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Well weather/humidity (or lack there of) is a major factor, FWIW I use as little as possible (super thin coats) then direct sun for an hour/shade for an hour or two. I also wipe off as much possible after coating and wait to apply additional coats until there is NO tack...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021