1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, Nov 14, 2019.

1. jastraw

jastraw

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm in the club!

My first Glarry arrived yesterday. First impression after 10 minute setup and 15 min playing. That's a heck of a value for > $100 to my door!

Most parts are decent. Tuners hold. Truss rod works. The neck is straight. Bridge and saddle all good. It intonates. The strings are cheap. The nut is plastic. The pickups are underwhelming. The fretboard is dry dry dry. The neck feel is fine. I might sand it down a bit.

It's CRAZY LIGHT! Bathroom scale reads 6 lbs 11 oz.

It looks cool. The dark blue is darker than what I saw on Youtube. Which I prefer. Cosmetically, I'm thinking metallic silver, brass or matte black paint on PG. I'm definitely removing the headstock logo. Dunno what's going there yet. Maybe something custom.

I'm mainly a J player. Right now I have a casual passive P need for old school vintage classic vibe.

The plan is to replace pups with Seymour SPB-1 or 3. I haven't decided. Slap on DR Sunbeams or Legend.

Here's my question. I'm not too knowledgeable about electronics. Besides buying pups. Would replacing the wiring harness, pots and jack be a good practice? Does that make a difference on final tone?

If so, is this the correct part? I'm fine with stock knobs.

https://www.amazon.com/TAOT-Wiring-Kit-Fender-Precision/dp/B00J1T5BLY

Any other words of wisdom? My mind is open.

It's great to be here! Shhh...I'm already thinking about my next Glarry.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

2. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Ugh! Me too! I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER GLARRY, I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER GLARRY, I DO NOT NEED A........

3. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Hey jastraw, I can't see the value of those pots, anyway I normally use CTS250k pots, .047 orange drop cap and switchcraft jack. The pick ups are fine AFAIC but indeed low output, that being said, go to town man! Whatever you are willing to take on, these are a GREAT mod platforms.

By the way that is the BEST looking "blue-burst" I have seen! I would have grabbed one myself if I knew it would come that way. Hit and miss on these Glarry's sounds and looks like yours is a HIT, EatS1stBassist hands out numbers for the club that is if he deems you worthy... ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 4:18 PM
  4. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    I agree that blue is very sharp! Welcome to the cheapskate club.

5. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    So, cleaned the fretboard and put my new strings on. I seem to have a lot of "fret buzz" on the 3rd and 5th frets of the A&E strings? Can someone who has had this issue tell me what this is from? I tried lowering the pickup and that took some of the "buzz" sound away, but it’s still prominent.

‘FYI-This is a fretless Glarry bass

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 3:58 PM
  6. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Sweet! The Hipshot string retainer was delivered today also via USPS! I’ll get the tuners ordered today.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:bassist: that's a great looking blue burst --- wowza! congrats on your new, beautiful glarry! :thumbsup:

as soon as EatS1stBassist assigns you a number = i'd be honored/happy to make a custom logo/decal for you (if you aren't set up to do your own).

:laugh: :thumbsup:

jawamac, was that delivered to cincy? (i'll check the mail on my next trip out)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 4:03 PM
  8. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    yes.

EatS1stBassist and JRA like this.
  9. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    D1F71CCB-3E3F-416F-B68E-C556C3A8D724.jpeg 197A877A-A2DF-4267-A52E-9B0657EF659F.jpeg B9255369-B2A5-499D-AC50-011743E837C7.jpeg

10. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
  11. jastraw

jastraw

Dec 19, 2016
  12. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Sorry, I de-fretted mine myself so no problems with "fingerboard buzz" :laugh: No experience with the Glarry "no fret" basses lol. Maybe put a straight edge on it? to see if it needs a sandpaper lashing? Or raise the action or add a tiny bit of relief?

13. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Says "complex mixture of the finest ultra refined tree and seed oils" smell nice too, btw to remove that headstock logo I used wet sand paper "wet" and almost no pressure, less that a minute. Can't tell it was ever there.

14. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    As previously stated:

"Can someone who has had this issue tell me what this is from?"

15. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Seems to work really well and smells great!

16. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Who else has a 'stoke' Glarry fretless? Well Jawa, Glarry QC?

17. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for all your help, Stone.:rollno:

18. JRA

i'm in possession of jawamac's burlywood fretless, but TBH: it's in the shipping box and i haven't played it...although i will, shortly, before i begin to put the pieces together for his "blonde fretless."

19. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    What strings did you go with? :drool:

20. JRA

i may not be able to help much this evening, jawamac (family stuff, off and on), but i can try to help you troubleshoot later, or tomorrow.

here's something you can do: loosen the truss rod a little (1/4 turn) and see if it goes away (or gets better, or gets worse).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021