1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, Nov 14, 2019.

1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I'm sorry I don't troubleshoot fretless much. My techniques involve checking frets...

This is a P right? Could it be the low-side pup is microphonic?

2. As long as you can find both ends of that fine wire without having to unwind a bunch:bag:

EatS1stBassist, Buz71 and JRA like this.
  3. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    thank you, @JRA. It got a lot worse when I loosened the truss.

4. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Hey Jawa have you checked your nut? I ask because I assume the Glarry "no fret" has the same nut and height as the fretted model, just food for thought...

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ok. just so i'm clear on this: the "buzz" you're hearing:
    - it's mechanical: e.g., strings against something --- you hear it when it's not plugged in (?)
    - it's electronic: e.g., somehow affects what's coming out of the pickups? --- only hear it when it's plugged in (?)

also: might as well tighten it back up that 1/4 turn, for now.

FWIW: i can also counsel on purple microdot, and orange sunshine. :D bad, bad joke! :rollno:

6. JRA

good call --- it might be nut related.

7. Anything about it reacting with stain?

8. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    That might explain why only fretless. :laugh:

JRA, EatS1stBassist, Buz71 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jawamac

Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    I sent you a PM, JRA.

10. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    I used a water based stain but every thing I read said it should be ok as long as it is dry. I don't have any mineral spirits or I would have done that today.

11. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    I put the tuners back on, damn those stock tuners are heavy! No wonder these things are neck heavy.

Attached Files:

Jawamac, CatchaCuda, JRA and 4 others like this.
  12. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    @Jawamac
    You're using the higher 4/6 out of a six string set, right? You've probably got a lot less tension on the neck. Did you adjust the truss? Other than the 1/4 turn? Loosen it a full turn and see what happens?

It's not back-buzz caused by the tiny strings in the wide nut slots?
    I'm with JRA, more details, please.

Jawamac, JRA, MovinTarget and 2 others like this.
  13. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Did you mineral spirit it?
    That stain and headstock shape on that Glarry looks sooo good.:thumbsup:

Buz71, JRA, MovinTarget and 2 others like this.
  14. CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I had this issue on my Harley Benton around positions 3-4 when I changed strings and had to loosen the truss rods.

Also, these Glarry necks probably aren't the flattest necks out there. If it comes down to leveling- Look at the stew-mac "fret bar". Then, realize that you can do the same thing with a short or trimmed down I-beam level, sandpaper and some dowels to raise the strings. Leveling under string tension must be the 3rd best way to do it, after a neck jig and PLEK.

Jawamac, Buz71, JRA and 3 others like this.
  15. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    Thanks! I haven't played the bass neck yet. Waiting on the clear for new swirl paint job.

Buz71, JoeThomas, JRA and 2 others like this.
  16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Welcome to club jastraw! You are member #57

Buz71, Ronzo, JRA and 4 others like this.
  17. jastraw

jastraw

Dec 19, 2016
    Hey Eats! Thanks man. Good to be here.

I got some parts ordered today. Let the fun begin.

C Stone, Buz71, Ronzo and 7 others like this.
  18. JRA

that's. really. funny! :roflmao:

FWIW: my 'acid' reference was not directed at our beloved Jawamac --- i was reminded of this old SNL sketch (jimmy carter was president, he was 'into everything' (like me?) --- and the SNL crew blew him up). anyway, some of the hippies/oldsters may remember seeing this. i always thought it was a stitch, but i'm ancient enough to be different/weird. hope you enjoy the humor, as the joke is on me!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 8:23 AM
    Dubious Aa, Jawamac, C Stone and 5 others like this.
  19. CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    :roflmao: I hope Peter came to terms with his situation and is okay.

C Stone, Buz71, Ronzo and 2 others like this.
  20. JRA

:bassist: decals! decals! decals! decals! :hyper:

i've offerred our newest member, jastraw , logos/decals for his glarry, but i just wanted to remind the older/previous members that i'm up for:
    - making a decal for any of your axes
    - sharing with you how to make your own

the art/creative is the hardest part unless you know what you already want or have a good idea for it. (if i do the work for you = we'll figure it out!) printing and applying them is easy peasy!

also: i've always made the decals using clear film/paper (which requires a light background like a maple headstock), but i just ordered some white decal paper to experiment with, on darker headstocks (and parts). i'm going to try a design on my black, glarry-mod J-bass headstock using the white:
    20201109_125424.jpg 20201109_123739.jpg

the clear stock won't work on black, but i have hopes that the white stock will, so we'll see! i'll post pics of course, after i actually apply the thing! i expect to get the white stuff in the next few days.

if the white works (it has some limitations/caveats): some of you may want a re-do on some of the designs we've already done using the clear stuff!

Telanoc, Dubious Aa, Jawamac and 10 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021