1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
  2. Jawamac

Jawamac Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Well, back and forth with a very mean truss rod helped a lot. There was also a small issue with the A&E pickup. These Glarry pickups are pretty bad.

3. Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    My spb-2’s are going in soon. I might stick with the stock pots. CTS solid shafts are too big to fit through the pg pot holes, so you have to dremel it out a bit+I would need to buy new knobs since the Glarry knob holes are too small.

too lazy?
    ‘A: Yes

The sad thing is, I have plenty of CTS pots and 10-15 switch craft jacks sitting here. Maybe I should sell some parts-lol

4. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    I haven't had a glarry P, my jazz pickups seemed OK but now I've got the GM's going in. I have had some trouble getting the neck adjusted perfect since I defretted my glar. My G string has been dull sounding. When I refinished the neck with tru oil I used my level with some 800 and went over it again so I'm hoping it will be fixed this time. Probably be a couple weeks before it's back together to see. The other 3 strings sounded pretty cool, nice mwah action. How's your fretless tone now?

5. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    I really question whether you can hear any difference with pots and caps. I would think the value would make a big difference but the same values I can't see it.

isaac42, Dubious Aa, Buz71 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    I had a ton of issues with a Glarry P body and a Fender fretless neck! Same exact issues you’re having G&D strings were pretty dead! I shimmed the neck probably 5-7 times in different spots/areas, different sizes. Then, adjusting the truss rod, etc.

‘what a pain in the arse! It finally sounded good after a constant back and forth with the neck, shims, truss rod, saddles, etc. in the end, I will never do it again. I still have the neck-lol. I don’t posses a lot of patience.

‘my tone sounds very good. I’m using 30-85 strings, so the puny little 30 has more "mwah" then I’ve ever heard! I’m having to play with a pick due to a wrist injury.

7. Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    100% agree! I cannot hear the difference in pots unless the value of the pot or the cap is changed. Solid shaft cts’ do feel better.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup:
    i'd recommend cuda for anything 'serious' (done right!) --- i'm too "whatever works." :D
    you're right! it's a meth 'cousin' for sure. ;)
    :thumbsup: true enough about glarrys --- separates the men from the boys! :laugh: (we need some women glarry owners in here! it would help us to clean up our acts, too!) :D
    :wideyed: could i get the cover of time magazine instead? :laugh:
    my sense is that they're like the rest of the instrument = some are better than others! i couldn't use some of the stock pickups but others sounded fine...'sweet'. maybe some of the pickup winders take longer breaks than others. :laugh:

Dubious Aa, Ampedup, Jawamac and 4 others like this.
  9. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    While you guys are flattering, Im also "whatever works". Remember my butchered-up strat? Don't ask me for nothin'!:roflmao:

10. jastraw

jastraw

Dec 19, 2016
    Cool. I got spb-1's on the way. I'm new at this. So no spare parts lying around. I ordered this.

https://www.amazon.com/CTS-Short-Shaft-Orange-047uF/dp/B00GK75WXC/

A buddy have wiring, new jack and solder gear. He's gonna help out. If I need to Dremel. So be it.

I considered spb-2 to 4. Eventually settled on 1. Going full vintage vibe.

11. JRA

:laugh:

you are truly conscientious, cuda... i usually settle for just being conscious! :roflmao:

12. JRA

i think you'll be fine! and an experienced buddy to help you out is always good --- and yeah: dremels are a thing around here! :laugh: i think Ronzo was one of the first cats who made a non-glarry pickguard(s) fit these beasts...at least two of them IIRC.

13. Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    They sound great! The spb-2’s are just hotter than the 1’s. That’s also the same kits I used to purchase. You’ve done an excellent job so far, sir!

14. Jawamac

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    He was! Did his p&j with Tort! It inspired me to do my old Glarry’s.

15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I’ve drilled out the knobs. It works. Make sure your knobs are clamped down real good before you drill them.

Dubious Aa, JRA and MovinTarget like this.
  16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Lol!:laugh:

JRA likes this.
  17. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    LOL not sure why my comment is mixed in with the others on this... o_O

Buz71, Dubious Aa, JRA and 2 others like this.
  18. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Yes JRA gets my vote for member of the year! Who else agrees with Jawamac and myself!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Buz71, Telanoc, Jawamac and 6 others like this.
  19. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I am old and just got back from chemo! Maybe I screwed up! Lol!:rollno::banghead:

Buz71, Jawamac, Dubious Aa and 2 others like this.
  20. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I can get on board with this. What does he win?

Buz71, Dubious Aa, JRA and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021