Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jawamac

Jawamac Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Can’t thank you enough for taking this on, @JRA. :)

2. spatters

spatters

Mar 25, 2002
    Drum wrap would make an excellent pickguard cover! It's tough plastic, and it comes in all sorts of crazy colors and finishes that pickguards don't. However, it generally comes in rolls (since it's made to be wrapped around a round drum) and isn't thick enough to be pickguard material on its own.

To use it, you'd want to stick it to your pickguard blank with adhesive, and then cut the pattern out of both at the same time. You can also stick your existing pickguard to it and cut around the edge with a very sharp knife, but it won't come out perfectly.

This is correct. If you wired everything correctly, the tone cap shouldn't affect anything with the tone fully open.

If you want a brighter tone when the tone knob is already fully open, you can try larger value pots, or no-load pots. I like using a no-load tone pot: if your bass is 500K volume/tone, swapping in a 500K no-load tone pot is equivalent to using two 1M pots when the tone is fully open. Turning the tone down just a hair will get you the 500K pot sound. The reason I put no-load on tone, instead of volume, is that the little tone jump at the end of the travel messes up volume swells.

C Stone, Ronzo, Buz71 and 3 others like this.
  3. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Good info all the way around!

C Stone, spatters, Ronzo and 3 others like this.
  4. Please tell more about the no load pot... I haven’t heard of that

C Stone, spatters, Ronzo and 4 others like this.
  5. I don’t know what the heck happened with that last post:wacky:

C Stone, Ronzo, Buz71 and 3 others like this.
  6. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    If you look at the website they actually sell sheets specifically for PGs and Guitar bodies now. I think those are flat...

C Stone, spatters, Jawamac and 6 others like this.
  7. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  8. Sweeeeet!

JRA, C Stone, Ronzo and 3 others like this.
  9. spatters

spatters

Mar 25, 2002
    A "no load" pot breaks the circuit entirely when the wiper is at one end. Electrically, this acts like you completely removed your tone pot from the bass and have only a volume pot. Sonically, this makes the bass (or guitar) perceptibly brighter.

Some guitarists have started using what they call a "blower switch," which bypasses both volume and tone and direct-wires the pickup to the output jack.

Here's a chart of the frequency response of a typical pickup in a guitar or bass with different tone pots. The green line is approximately what you'd get with 500K/500K pots. The dark blue line is appx. 250K/250K, the dark brown line is appx. a single 500K volume pot or 500K/500K no load, and red is direct-wired to the jack.

pick-up-frequency-response-with-load.gif

JRA, C Stone, Ronzo and 3 others like this.
  10. BassGoesBrr

BassGoesBrr

Jun 11, 2021
    are Glarrys still worth purchasing? or would you rather go with the upgraded version? the GP 2

JRA, Ronzo, Dubious Aa and 3 others like this.
  11. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I think the upgrades are cool. I guess it’s how much work you want to do after you get it home.

JRA, C Stone, spatters and 5 others like this.
  12. BassGoesBrr

BassGoesBrr

Jun 11, 2021
    Purchased some d'addario chrome flatwounds going to throw on them either way as well as attempt to set it up myself like the truss rod and stuff, never done it before. as well as paint the pickguard. would the gp 2 require less work?

JRA, EatS1stBassist, spatters and 2 others like this.
  13. Im not sure about the 2’s but the original seems hit or miss with needing a setup and/or some fret work.

mine was ok but i totally took it apart to rebuild it the way I wanted it. The neck is still stock but i did have to touch up the frets... leveling and a bit of sprout.
    Now it’s pretty much my #1.

JRA, EatS1stBassist, Buz71 and 4 others like this.
  14. Thanks for the info!!

JRA, EatS1stBassist, Buz71 and 3 others like this.
  15. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    Any brand instrument could need a lot of set up. My 400 dollar yamaha guitar needed the truss adjusted, the nut filed, the bridge filed. My glarry jazz needed a truss, bridge and intonation setup. If you buy any brand you'd be lucky to not have to touch it. Fret leveling and filing the edges is optional, as is all the other 100's of dollars of mods you could do. I would get the gpII if I wanted a maple neck with a bone nut and better pickups, heavier too (less neck dive if that matters).

Ronzo, MovinTarget, JRA and 3 others like this.
  16. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    Ronzo, MovinTarget, JRA and 2 others like this.
  17. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
  18. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Don't hesitate to hit up the group here with any set-up questions when you decide on a which bass, (happy to help) FWIW my 'standard' Glarry's needed minor fret end dress on a few and a basic set-up. Sorry no experience with the GPll, GL! :bassist:

19. BassGoesBrr

BassGoesBrr

Jun 11, 2021
    Im the most undecisive person on the planet. I like the heavy end of the glarry 2 so wont get the neck dive of the glarry1 but I also prefer the look of the glarry1. and Im kind of scared of modding it myself and messing something up and than being without a bass. lol. I originally was going to get a Squier Affinity 3-tone sunburst but its sold out everywhere I looked, and only says I can reserve it, but I don't know how long that would be, and the only way to get it is buying it with the pack which I don't want. so now been looking at Glarrys

Ronzo, MovinTarget, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  20. Stealth57

Stealth57

Aug 28, 2020
    NorCal
    To all you chorus lovers...and I didn't have a clue why...until I found the Big Chorus patch on my B3n. Strange, it isn't even on the 2 page list from Zoom. Must have been a firmware upgrade. A very nice sound.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021