Official Fender '51 P Bass Petition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brekfustuvluzer, May 18, 2007.

1. Ok, TBers, i have a vision of all of us bass lovers using our collective voice to alter the future of bass playing forever! :eek: Let's band together and aim that voice at fender and their '51 P bass. I'm sure i speak for a lot of you when i say, I love the old 51 RI, but it's time for a new sheriff in town. Here's what I'm proposing:

Make an american P bass based on the look of the '51 RI,Keep the neck and head stock the same, offer maple or rosewood fretboard, upgrade the tuners, contour the body, and give it a P/J pickup configuration with perhaps active/passive electronics with a three band eq. Offer it in about five different colors and set the MSRP around $1600. You could pick em up on ebay for $800.

So, what do you guys think? Let's get 10,000 responses on here and notify fender that the bass players of the world have spoken! i know what you're thinking. You think this is just a scheme to get fender to make my own signature bass for me and offer it at a reasonable price. Well, maybe so, but the world will benifit with me. If this doesnt work, i'll have to buy a schecter body and put on fender parts, and i really dont want to do that. Let your voice be heard. Let's make HISTORY!

2. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Not to be a jerk, but I don't think this is a very attractive sounding instrument, nor that it would sell much at all. The '51 single coil is pretty trebly and putting in a jazz bridge would kind of be senseless... and then putting an active EQ on a bass aimed to a vintage market...

Just doesn't seem that it would work.

3. It wouldn't have the single coil, it would have a split p in neck pos, and a j in bridge. you cant tell me thats not a good pickup configuration. and also its an update on a classic much like the new deluxe jazz or p, there is no rule saying you cant put a new twist on a classic. i think it would rock. too bad i cant afford custom shop basses! that thing is sweet!

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    And it's supposed to be a 51 P RI?:eyebrow:

Sorry, I've already got the real CIJ deal. If I wanted bells and whistles, I wouldn't look for 'em on a '51.

5. And make a 5 string model with a nice tight B string

6. No, it is not supposed to be a 51. its supposed to be BASED on a 51. Lighten up. some people act like this is sacreligious.

7. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Dammit, dont ask for an opinion if you refuse to hear what people have to say. Everybody does that in these threads, you asked what we though, we thought it wasnt a great idea. Telling us to lighten up is the wrong attitude.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Seems interesting. In a way, the Dirnt is a step in that direction, especially regarding the contoured body.

My plea (and perhaps a realistic plea) would be that Fender make an MIJ '51 RI that offers a better color than the Mustard Yellow that the current MIJ RI sports. OK there is the '55 in tobacco, but it's a contoured '55, (also on the Sting Sig. model). Fifteen years ago, the '51 RI was available in a nice transparent Ivory color, that at least seems to me much more like the original '51 instruments...OK, it's just the paint.....all is vanity, no?

Of course, there are those here who have amazing '51 based 5ers, Dark Starred Tele basses, and other such wonders. There was also the CS 50th anniversary P-bass, which is probably the ultimate reissue. Dare I mention the Slab-P and the Tele basses, too?

All of these, the CS 50th, the MIJ '51 RI (old and new), the Dirnt, the assorted small maker customs, handmades, Teles, Dark Starred Tele's, 5ers, Sting/55s, Paiselys, G&Ls ASATS, etc., suggest that the basic idea of a "family" is sound. This is the root AND a major branch of the Fender family tree. As such, why shouldn't it be the basis for new and interesting instruments, including active basses.

I don't know about the idea of a petition, but there certainly must already some awareness at Fender that this is a rich legacy, and the '55 RI, Sting, Dirnt, Paisley, and MIJ '51 RI show this. I hope someone there with clout will consider making this "line" as richly varied as the current P and Jazz lines are. Cool thread, IMHO. :D

9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm not particularly interested in (what seems to me to be) a modernized version of the '51.

I assumed this was gonna be a petition to fix the damn color of the existing '51 RI. That I would sign.

10. Modernized 51P.... sign me up!

:smug:

Oh wait... I'm set

51s-03.jpg

11. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Well, there is still a 2-tone 'burst version of the '51 RI, although I have yet to see one in a store.

I just wish they'd make a version of the Sting--Tele headstock, contoured body--without that bloody inlay.:rollno:

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

They used to. They appear on Ebay now and then. About the burst version of the '51, I think that has been discontinued, too (I could be wrong). :cool:

BTW, I feel the same way about the inlay. I have a real '55. When ever I see the inlayed necks, they make me sad. :ninja:

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Wonders, Indeed!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

14. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The 'burst version still appears on Fender's site, so I assume it's for sale--somewhere.:D And there's one in the TB classifieds right now (no affiliation).

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Thanks for that! I guess it is just another piece of evidence that the '51 is already the basis for "non-RI" versions, even if they are called RI. There was (as I'm sure everyone must know), no tobaco burst available until later. I'm thinkin '53....anyone know? :cool:

16. Wasn't the '54 P bass contoured and available in a two tone burst? That would be a great American Vintage Series bass.

17. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Have you seen the Schecter Model T? It's P/J, and it's in the '51 style.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Just to say that options do exist.....

Or you can buy a Jay Turser JTB-401 which is a copy of the '53 with the contoured body and a single pickup...for under $150.

jtb-401.jpg

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Could be. I'm pretty sure the contour was mostly available in the '55. We are not talkin' RI's here, right? In any case, since Fender often used warehoused bodies, I think the slab was available at the same time the contour was according to "The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History" (J. W. Black and Albert Molinaro), if I recall correctly....my copy is packed away right now. I could be wrong. :p :p :p

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021