Official Fender Bassman Club Pt II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    20170427_200628.jpg here is my new setup. Bassman 500 and rumble 410 v3

2. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Hi, @Worshipbass12! Nice Bassman/Rumble rig there. Did the cab come with that blackface Fender logo, or did you swap out the usual Rumble flat logo?

If you're looking for a club membership number, it seems to be on a self-serve basis now. See background below. So, find the next available number and stake your claim!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  3. I don't have an 'old' Bassman. . But I DID have a Bassman 100 -early 70s model - it weighed similar to the 100T is my guesstimate.
    I dunno how they stayed sitting on the cab at that angle. ..?????? Cups in the cab for the amp's feet would be nice. I don't think I'd like my SB300 possibly sliding off mid gig. But. ..it'd be cool to have it pointing up at me.
    Not that I've ever had a problem hearing the Super Bassman - even with just one 115

armybass likes this.
  4. G-Dog

Thanks, @rodl2005, for your input on the weight of an early 70s Bassman 100; approximately 50 lb.s.

The Fender piggyback hardware system secureły fastens the head to the cab with the top 3 items on this webpage:
    Search | Amplified Parts

5. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    It came that way

G-Dog likes this.
  6. Bill Bohlen

Bill Bohlen

Mar 9, 2017
    Today was a good day to take my SB300 apart. I think there is a screw missing but I can hear it rattling around. It's within the power module there so I need to find a warranty repair show nearby...but the amp sounds fantastic.

7. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    I'm so in love with the new bassman 500!!! I can't stop playing and with my Russian pickle man it nails that 70's Sabbath tone!!

armybass, G-Dog and WesW like this.
  8. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thumpn' Happily
    OK - I am in for a number.

I had a Mesa 400+ and I sold it to buy this beauty from a fellow TB'er.

It had only been a bedroom / hobby amp until this point.

Now it's my #1 gigging amp. Just a spectacular piece of work.
    Only wish I had made the leap a bit sooner :hyper::bassist:

If you're wondering if these amps are for you? - Yes they are !

Cheers

RBJ

IMG_1027.jpg

armybass, rodl2005, Bill Mac and 3 others like this.
  9. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Hello fellow Bassman Enthusiasts. So I love my Fender Bassman, I use a vintage silverface 135, and it is my favorite Bassman amp. I've owned two and I'm never getting rid of this one. Far from not being powerful enough for gigs, I actually find often I have to turn my Bassman down quite a bit. I jump the channels (which adds a lot of beef to the sound) and run the gains around 5 and the master around 3 and that is more than enough volume. In fact it makes it harder in really small venues where we really need to keep our stage volume in check.

For smaller gigs, I've been wanting to get a Bassman Ten, the 70w combo amp from the 70's. I wanted to know if people have had experience with them. Anyone find a good replacement speaker?

armybass and markjazzbassist like this.
  10. so i've owned a couple of them. the speakers as is will not be great for bass, not a lot of low end and the ports on the cab are tiny. something i have toyed around with doing is removing the 4 speakers, and cutting out the bracing so it's a big open hole and then buy a 1x15 baffle from mojotone and put it on there with the speaker. would be a little jenky (need screws going through the baffle/grill cloth to keep it sealed, but it has enough internal volume for a JBL D140 or the like and would be portable.

you could also get a cab maker to make you a custom cab, JD Newell said he could make a bassman ten cab sealed for a 1x15", i think 350 bucks.

bar that i'd say your best small rig would be to get a bassman (50, 70) as those heads are a lot smaller than the 100/135 and lighter, and get a small cab to gig it with.

kbakerde likes this.
  11. G-Dog

Fender Bassman Club SELF-SERVE MEMBER NUMBERS:

If you're looking for a club membership number, it seems to be on a self-serve basis now. See background below. So, find the next available number and stake your claim!

Ras Keita said:

[snip] [photos] [snip]
    How do I go about getting an "Official Fender Bassman" number? Here's my Bassman with the Rhodes with a customized dual output split keyboard.
    -----------------

gsgbass said:

I'm supposedly the last player issued a club number. I'm #117. So I guess if no one is around issuing new numbers, unofficially take #118. I'm not a club number issue person, so take the number and see what happens. Welcome to the club, Ras Keita #118. Nice Bassman's there!
    ------------------

G-Dog said:

UPDATE: I've gone more ''retro'' ...[snip]

AND, in the absence of anyone here issuing member numbers, I'm going to follow @gsgbass's lead and simply take #119, the next number in order. Others, I presume, may stake their own claims to subsequent member numbers in order.
    --------------------

BassJuju said:

Photo attached... Since we seem to be selecting the next sequential number in the absence of an official assignor, would that make me #120? What tone these have!
    --------------------

G-Dog said:

''What tone...'', indeed! ...[snip]

YES, you've officially staked your claim to Bassman Club member #120. Surely civilized bass players can so self-enumerate in the absence of an official membership roster-holder. Welcome, say I.
    ---------------------

12. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    Late '70s early '80s bassman 135.

kbakerde and markjazzbassist like this.
  13. west al

west al Road Rex Supporting Member

I'm on the fence between the Bassman 100T, and the Bassman 500. Any opinions between the two? Thanks in advance guys.

14. G-Dog

Here's the physical comparison:
    Screenshot_2017-09-17-17-53-31.jpg

Tonewise: They share the classic Fender tonestacks. But, the 100 & 300 have that all-tube warmth some require. While the 500 & 800 have blendable overdrive for any desired level at any volume. So, it boils down to what your ears and/or experience tell you.

No wrong choice...

15. And. ......

They both have the active channel -called overdrive channel - with ACTIVE EQ and sweepable mid frequency, both channels have the 'pull deep' & 'pull bright' function on the bass and treble eq controls.
    I've only looked at & played the 500 instore.. but I liked it a lot and have only heard good things about it.
    Apparently they use the same power amp as the Rumble 500 -of which. ..I have the 500 combo. . And that amp is sure no slouch when it comes to power. . Heaps there.
    So....no bad choice. ..just whether you want the all tube power section. ..a bonus with the 100T is the 25w setting and bring able to run outta the POWER section into the board for FULL all tube sound to the PA/Recording board etc. .
    So. ..it'd depend on you wanting the all tube sound or more all out volume on tap. . I know a 100w all tube amp only JUST cuts it for me if in a loud setting and I'm needing CLEAN tones. But many people state it's plenty. ..so ymmv in this regard

16. G-Dog

Oops! Forgot the opinion part you asked for. Here ya go:

I find the Bassman 500 to suit my preferences. It's very much like my Rumble 500 combo, which I see you also own, @gsgbass, but with more bells and whistles. They even play well together!

IMG_20161202_130918.jpg

Good luck!

17. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    IMG_0312.JPG image.jpg image.jpg

I have and use both as well as the Super Bassman. I use the 500 and a Fender Bassman Pro Neo 410 for my weekly outdoor gig. It is plenty loud enough and very versatile and easy to load in and out. I use the 100T for most of my weekend indoor gigs with a Fenders Bassman Pro Neo 115. The Super Bassman is my big gig rig (don't have too many of those) and I use it through a Bergantino NV610T.

Between the 500 and the 100T there is no difference in the layout and controls nor in the preamp section. I run them virtually the same way. The only difference is if you want that all tube tone. I like to have it on some of my gigs but the 500 could do it just fine. The 100 weighs considerably more and is tougher to transport. The 500 is super easy to move and it sounds great. Several times I've had people think I had the all tube 100 when I was actually using the 500. These were real tone snob guitar players too. LOL.

Bottom line if you know you want the sound and feel of tube power... get the 100T. If that isn't too important, get the 500. It's cheaper, easier to transport and sounds just as good.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    sneha1965, rodl2005 and G-Dog like this.
  18. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    PS. I don't play in loud groups do I can't answer the volume difference questions. I never push either of them.

19. Gah!!!!!!!! The TRIFECTA!!!!!
    Awesome!
    I got the Ampeg V4B instead of the 100T. ...as my 100w all tube amp. .just for a different flavour.
    The 1st time I came across a Bassman 500 instore. .. I just about threw it thru the ceiling - not JUST coz it's lack of weight. ..as it's not AS light as other class D micro's. .. but it LOOKS just like the all tube Bassman amps. ..so I was expecting a bit more (a fair bit more) weight.
    Damn... I'm tempted to delve into the Bassman 500 or 800.
    I use my Super Bassman into one Bassman 115 cab mostly. Tho sometimes into 2x 115s and sometimes into a Berg NV215
    As much as I love the NV215....I think I like the Super Bassman into just the ONE Bassman Pro Neo 115... they're GREAT sounding cabs and seem to REALLY match up well with the SB300
    The Bassman 115 handles a shipload of power too.
    Basically it's a win win win situation. .. bit still. ...a Bassman 500 sounds like it'd be nice too :woot::cool::laugh:

armybass likes this.
  20. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    I played through a 100T in the store and compared it to the tone from the 800 below. While it is true the 100T sounds more tubey, it was very minimal to my ears. The cost difference was far greater than the "tubeyness" of the 100. In the end, I think they are similar enough that you could go with any of them and be very happy. I prefer this rig over anything I've played with. Just such great tone and variety. Dirty or smooth, soft or loud, it is all I expect. Everyone is different, but thats my 2 cents.

IMG_0290.JPG

sneha1965, armybass and G-Dog like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021