1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Fender Bassman Club Pt II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 20, 2013.

1. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    A text box says it's OK to add an extension cab without unplugging the internal speakers? Could you post that page of that manual?

2. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    @Razman, I think I found it. Do I understand that you've heard, or read, that the Bassman 400 Pro can run safely at 2.67 ohms and this text box, right under the warning(!), means this is OK? Hmmm, sneaky!

PSX_20190210_143934.

gsgbass likes this.
  3. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    That NOTE box would lead me to believe that you should be able to connect an external cabinet without disconnecting the internal speakers, but they are being a little vague about it.

Obviously Fender has chosen to disregard some countries Safety Agencies requirements as both the 100T and the SB300 can run at 2 ohms.

4. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Yes, the text box doesn't openly say, "Sure, run an 8 or 4 ohm cab with the internal speakers!" In fact, the warning says the exact opposite. But the text box does seem to give winking approval to proceed with a cab. But the main question is, is it just 8 ohm OK, or 4 ohm, too?

Maybe it was just that product "some countries" had a problem with. Perhaps times have changed in those countries, too.

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  5. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I am far from an expert but in my experience any amp Ive owned that was rated below 4 ohms is rated at 2 ohms, not somewhere in between. So if the 400 is consistent with this scenario then one could assume that you could run an 8 ohm cab, a pair of 8 ohm cabs or a 4 ohm cab in addition to the internal speakers. That being said the ambiguity of the manual is somewhat disconcerting.

G-Dog likes this.
  6. I giving up 212's, I really don't want to do 210's instead. I also like Eminence Neo's.

7. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Well you can't go wrong either way. I have a pair of 410 neo's and can't see ever getting more cabs, though I haven't tried a 115 neo, so never say never. Not sure I'd go so far as to say the Bassman Pro Neo cabs are underrated but I couldn't be happier.

rodl2005 and gsgbass like this.
  8. I did a couple of Neo 115's, and they were ok, but I always went to a Neo 410. I guess I have a bit more to liking the 410. The 410's at the time seemed to have a more full sound, at least with the basses I played through them then. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. If the select impedance switch on the back panel of either the 100T, or Super Bassman is set on 2 ohms, it should be safe at least in the head's workings.
    Not to mention, some players don't have a clue about impedance values in a cab, or cabs.

10. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    I would guess that the 400 Pro was released with Fender's typical conservative rating of simply 350 watts @ 4 ohms. Then, perhaps, consumers and Fender's own internal testing found it fairly safe at 2 ohms. But, too late, "some countries" weren't buying the re-rating without some hardware change, perhaps, or other documented upgrade, maybe. So, the textbox was a nod to that situation. That's my theory, at least.

The Super and 100T were always rated safely at 2 ohms. So, no problems with those "some countries".

oldskoolskatedad and gsgbass like this.
  11. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    One of my favorite features of the 100T & SB300 is the switchable impedance settings with full output at all settings. When I was getting ready to pull the trigger on my first all-tube head I was dead set on a V4B reissue until i stumbled across the newly released 100T. I was blown away by the feature set and the aesthetics and of course the plethora of amazing tones. I do not regret drinking deeply of the latest round of Bassman koolaid

gsgbass and G-Dog like this.
  12. I did the V-4B long enough to go back to another Super Bassman. The thing that somewhat bugged me about the V-4B, it didn't have the Auto Bias System on it.

13. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    I'm certainly no expert, either. Nor do I recall hearing or reading of a minimum 2.67 ohm amp, until a year ago with the release of the Fender Stage 800 combo. Imagine my shock and confusion! I asked everywhere for clarification, thinking I'd misread it, until I got the explanation below. Along with it's internal 8 ohm speaker load, it can, indeed, handle an additional 4 ohm external load!

PS: This year the recently announced Rumble 800 HD head is rated for 2 ohm operation. So, last year's Stage 800 ≠ this year's 800 HD!

14. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    It's really a shame that some of the early 100Ts had some Auto-Bias issues, though always remedied by Fender, seemed to give the system a somewhat bad reputation. To me it is what most sets these heads apart from their contemporaries. The impact on ownership cannot be overstated in regards to maintenance and general peace of mind. The ability to adjust the bias to run the tubes hotter or cooler is no gimmick and tube rolling is a no brainer! I don't believe that many bassists out there are really aware of what the 100T and SB300 truly have to offer. But that is coming from a fan boy

gsgbass likes this.
  15. I started out using tube amps in 1967 in guitar amps, before moving to bass amps. The 100T looks to be working fine these days.

16. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I believe on the 100T thread there was some discussion on what impedance setting to use when using 4 ohm cab with an 8 ohm cab which would result in 2.67 ohms and those much more knowledgeable than me stated you would set it to 2 ohms. If I remember correctly.

17. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    That could be, but the manual recommends a 4 ohm setting for a 2.67 ohm load. It may not make a big difference.

PSX_20190210_201123.

gsgbass likes this.
  18. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Figures, I didn't remember correctly.

gsgbass likes this.
  19. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Not necessarily! I can see a discussion coming to the conclusion you recall. Especially if the manual wasn't yet available, or consulted. :)

Also, which of the 4 pages of searched threads all containing "100T" in the title is "The 100T Thread"?

20. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I was referring to the "Fender Bassman 100T Chapter 3" thread.

G-Dog likes this.