1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Fender Bassman Club Pt II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Going for a matching look I presume? Does Fender make a 212? I really like dual 12" cabs; had a Mesa Carbine 212 combo and it sounded fantastic.

gsgbass likes this.
  2. No, I haven't seen any Fender 212 cabs.

3. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I really like the Eminence ceramic drivers in my combo - I'll be scouting for a 410 some day just to have one, hopefully in tolex. Best of luck on your cab search; the amp in the theater at my church is a Mesa 400 into an Ampeg Pro series fridge (all 220 pounds of it) and it just sounds awesome. I like how you can 'play' a tube amp like you play a bass, and the amp sounds best when the power tubes are on the verge of saturation. It's not often I get to run it like that, but we did a show at another location two years ago and I got to open it up and it was a blast. Haven't played through any Fenders yet as they don't appear in my area often.
    I'm guessing they 'played it safe' and overbuilt it somewhat, and later testing showed that the power amp could handle the lower impedance. I'm also assuming that the 'Pro' came out after the regular 400, with the apparent power increase giving it the 'Pro' designation.

And IME companies don't reinvent the wheel with stuff like this - I mean, look at the manual - can you spot a difference between the two units? I can't. Besides a coat of paint and new knobs, what else changed? I'd like to see a pic of the insides, and it would be interesting to compare numbers off the transistors in the power section - that would clear things up I would think. Any 'Pro' owners in the club?

G-Dog likes this.
  4. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Have you ever heard someone else's rig and said to yourself, "Dang, I wish my stuff sounded like that!" Well, that's exactly how I feel about this little combo - it's the tone in my head, exactly what I've wanted! It has those sub-lows you can feel without getting muddy - I can't get a bad sound out of it. And the compressor works great too, how cool is that?

I cranked it up in our practice space for a few minutes tonight and was really impressed - it does more than what I would expect a pair of 10's to do on a normal basis, so I didn't play it loud for too long. However, it's nice that the low EQ control can be adjusted down to 25 Hz - a built-in high-pass filter! Playing with it a little helped me cut out some of that extreme low-end and boosted volume noticeably - just what I was looking for! Couldn't be happier.

Raz

G-Dog likes this.
  5. I acquired the Hartke HyDrive HD115 to go with the Super Bassman.
    0HXvv4c.

6. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

LOL! A simple, "I changed my mind." would suffice. Thumbs Up. It's not a binding promise, nor a Club Rulez. violation. :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 7:04 PM
    gsgbass likes this.
  7. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    It's funny isn't it how we push the amp products of Fender but not the speaker cabs. We should all know their cabs have Eminence drivers....some of the best in the world next to Kustom's CTS drivers for bass.

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    From Saturday night’s gig.

D8CF1BD2-9EA7-42AD-949C-96EBC3D9629C.
    E3EEC072-6096-498D-B842-7F4F4EB86ADC.

9. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    What made you go for this over the Bassman's

10. I never have a problem with different speakers. An old friend of mine used Hartke for his bass performance needs.

11. You really need to do a side by side with the two, and see which of the two has your sound in it. In a 15", the HyDrive is my choice.

FIvHtaz.

12. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Can you describe the differences between the two? Just for curiosity's sake. The tone would have to be pretty compelling for me not to choose the Fender on aesthetics alone.

gsgbass likes this.
  13. I like the low tones it takes with no flutter. The combination of aluminum, and Kevlar work well together for the overall tonal range. The aesthetics had nothing to do with a choice of either style cab.

14. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Awesome, @Ryan L.! You are now member #142 in the Official Fender Bassman Club.

But, uh . . . . that doesn't look like the 410 and 115 you had last June. Isn't that a pair of 115s? Do you still have, and/or use, the 410?

15. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    It looks like a 410 on top of a 115 to me

16. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Hmmm, now that I see the smaller version, it does look more like a 410 on a 115. Thanks, dad. But without the above perspective of his previous pics the bottom cab looks bigger than it did. But not quite as big as the top cab.

Hey, Ryan. Did you not like running the 115 on top of the 410 as much?

17. One other thing I like about the HD115, @ 8 ohms it's 500 watts RMS.

18. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    True, the Bassman 115 is only 350 watts @ 8 ohms, though it's designed to pair perfectly with the SB300.

gsgbass likes this.
  19. I had the choice between the two, and went with the HD115. The Neo 115 does have an attenuator, where the HD115 uses a three way switch. It doesn't make any difference to me, since I shut off the High Frequency Horn anyway. I've liked the HyDrive speakers for some time now.

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I sold the 410 and bought another 115. I found I actually prefer the 115 to the 410, so I figured a pair of them was the way to go.

G-Dog and rodl2005 like this.