Official Fender Bassman Club Pt II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 20, 2013.

1. cubanbass

cubanbass Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Union City, NJ
    Ok, jumping on an F1-X.

Thanks for the advice Mark, never been a rack guy (and I might try to find the smallest rack) but I got to get that sound!

markjazzbassist likes this.
  2. Arrow

Arrow

Sep 10, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Hello,

I can buy a 1964 blonde Bandmaster with 2x12 cab that has been transformed to a Bassman 6G6-b with the presence-knob and output trannie to match.
    When I put modern speakers in the cab, will it be loud enough for rehearsal (I play a not so loud Eagles tribute band) and small gigs? I'm curious because I think it will sound great with my '65 P.

Thanks,
    Erwin

3. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Just picked up this the other day. 2001 Bassman 400. Got it for a good price and it's in very clean condition. I used to sit in for a fellow player from time to time in the band he was in and he had one of these rigs. I always liked the punch his rig had and told myself if I ever had a chance to snag one of these heads for a decent price, I would.

IMO these heads were very underrated when they were being produced. They were built like a tank and sound huge. The tone stack really isn't the typical Fender type but there are a lot of usable tones available with a little tweaking. Being able to footswitch the parametric EQ section is a nice feature. Although not a lightweight head, it's still quite a bit easier to lug around than my Dual Showman head. Running it with a single Bassman 115 NEO cab gives me a fairly lightweight rig with the way more power and I can still lift and move it. It does sound HUGE pushing both my 115 NEO cabs. I think the 350 watt @ 4 ohm rating is a bit low for these heads because it is really punchy and loud.

Still want to try out the new Bassman 500 head but "dat price" if you know what i mean.

bassman400_zpsy9aqq2ju.gif

So I finally get to post up in the Bassman Club thread with a Bassman. Anyone still handing out club numbers?

Keep Low :bassist:

rodl2005, hsech and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  4. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    My brand new Bassman 500 + 2 Rumble 115s. To be unveiled at band practice later tonight.
    20150911_104843.jpg

Bassplayer315 and Linnin like this.
  5. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Do me a favor and let me know how that 500 sounds. I'd love to get an opinion on that through those 15's.

Thanks

6. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    20150911_173053.jpg 20150914_162254.jpg 20150911_173053.jpg 20150914_162254.jpg
    Hey 60bass...so here's the rig (in all it's glory!). To my ears, which I don't consider expert as compared to some on TB. This set up sounds amazing. It takes some playing with the eq dials to get the sound going. I wasn't used to the "cut only" aspect of the vintage channel eq, so that took some experimenting. Note that on one cab I put the horn an full and on the other, on half. I also pulled out the bass boost on the vintage channel. The result, with the '77 Tele (D'Addario flats) is a fantastic pure bass tone with just the smallest edge. I also have an Epi T-Bird (D'Addario rounds)that sounds much brighter at those sames settings. The overdrive channel is cool. At the settings in the picture I was able to get a nice overdriven sound. Overall, I'm really happy! No muddiness at all, lots of punch. 3.5 on the master is more than enough volume for my basement practice room. I can't wait to get this out in a live gig.

I hope this helps, as I said, I lack the technical depth of most TBers, but know when I hear good tone. Cheers, Ed

P.S.- sorry about the double picts. I'm still learning how to post here.

hsech, Linnin and 60bass like this.
  7. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I think I used to have a number, but I'm back baby!!! Vintage Bassman 135

20151226_122439_zps57uijdgq.jpg

GreaserMatt and 60bass like this.
  8. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
  9. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    The Bassman 135 is really loud and proud.

DSC_0257.JPG

GreaserMatt, 60bass and kbakerde like this.
  10. I too would like to be a member of this fine gathering of amplification technology!

Fantastic product, it is really hard to get an ugly tone from it. The overdrive is some of the best that I have experienced in affordable amplifiers. Also responds really well to pedals I find...

Attached Files:

11. i will be joining this again. my 1981 fender bassman ten combo should arrive in a week or so. nice warm tube fender tone in a easily transported combo :) will be nice for the bars/clubs than a head/cab.

kbakerde likes this.
  12. got my blackface fender bassman ten combo yesterday. it sounds great. gonna do some tube swapping tonight. the normal channel is where its at which is different for me. i had a silverface one that must have been modded because that bass channel sounded awesome and the normal channel sucked on that one. ha go figure !

kbakerde likes this.
  13. 60bass likes this.
  14. west al

west al Road Rex Supporting Member

This is a great setup. A Super Bassman / Bassman 410 Neo.

AXFR3Et.png

60bass and Christian Houmann like this.
  15. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Here's a pic of my Bassmans(?), Bassmen(?), uh . . . Bassman amps and cab. That's a Bassman 150/112, a Bassman 250/115 and Bassman Neo 115 cab.
    IMG_20160318_111344.jpg
    May I join the club and get a number, please?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    markjazzbassist and 60bass like this.
  16. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

I see that everyone here is too polite to ask but, yes, that is a Rumble 500 combo on the Bassman Neo 115 in my picture above.

The 115 was my first acquisition in the new retro-look Bassman line that I lust after. But my saving for a new Bassman 100T or Super 300 head got highjacked after trying the Rumble and being very pleasantly surprised by the onboard overdrive. The 350 watts in such a compact, lightweight package is attractive, too. And attaching the 115 brings out the full 500 watts!

So, am I the only one to have a Rumble powering a Bassman cab? I've seen many doing the opposite.

Now my savings are aimed at the new Bassman Pro 500. I'd love to hear from anyone about that.

60bass likes this.
  17. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I wanted to post up another pic of my Bassman rig, just because :D So here she is. Bassman 400 atop two Bassman 115 Pro Neo's. With my 07 P + LaBella Deep Talkin flats, it's a thump machine.

20160305_202231_zpsp4psu93a.gif

Keep Low :bassist:

G-Dog likes this.
  18. Loving this thing

image.jpeg

jdubbass38 and 60bass like this.
  19. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I've posted this before, but I'm a sucker for vintage Bassmans: 1966 Bassman and Cab, 1978 Bassman 135 and two 1x15 Pro Neo Cabs.

DSC_0268.JPG
    DSC_0253._2JPG.jpg

sneha1965, kbakerde, EfEmDee and 2 others like this.
  20. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Gigged my Bassman 135 last night. Let me tell you, it's awesome. Anyone using these old gems, make sure your using a jumper cable to connect channel 1 and 2. Adds so much girth and fatness to the tone!!!

hsech likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021