Official Fender Bassman Club Pt II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Ductapeman

Ductapeman Ringmaster and Resident Geriatric Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    I started life as a drummer, but I got better
    Dang, I can't join the Club-- I gave my old '67 Silverface to my nephew last summer-- still have the '59-'60 transitional Bandmaster head though. I've owned so many Bassman and Showman heads I can't remember them all. When I was younger and was running a stereo Jazz Bass (with a Gibson Mudbucker on one side) I'd feed the Gibson side through a Bassman and the Fender side to a Dual Showman-- pretty radical for outback Washington in the mid-70s-- by comparison now it probably sounded nicht so gut, but was fun figuring it all out. I'm about to try something like this again, using a JC Signature bass as a host-- more as it happens!

ETA: Did I forget to mention how much I like Showmans and Dual Showmans? What a solid well-engineered midpower tube amp-- I need to find another one. Not giving up my Galliens, though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    markjazzbassist and 60bass like this.
  2. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    These old 135's are a beast. I don't know how they compare to the new tube Bassman amps but I would be curious to find out.

3. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Dunno, I think the 2nd channel had a more modern sound dueffects to the active preamp. But considering my amp cost me a full grand less, I'll stick with the 135

markjazzbassist likes this.
  4. anyone played a vintage bassman through one of the fender rumble 115 v3 cabs? they are so cheap at 300 new and weigh 40 lbs, im really thinking about getting one for my vintage bassman. but i've never tried/heard one. thoughts?

5. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    As documented here I picked up a used 1979 Bassman 135 from a TB'er but it was a local craigslist ad. Overall the amp was (and is really) in seemingly great condition. However, considering the amp is almost as old as I am, and the previous owner was a good 10 years younger, I don't know really how well this amp has been treated over the decades. I am pretty sure the tubes are original which is good, no scratchy pots or jacks. All good things.

So I am playing a gig last weekend, and we get set up. I am noodling around doing a little warm up, getting my sound levels set and all is good. Everyone loves the tone of this rig, it's all kinds of awesome. All is good we start our set. Third song at the beginning of the first verse, all of a sudden no bass. I'm looking around and see that the amp power light is off, gone. YIKES!! Mid song (the guys kept going kudos to them) I am desperately trying to figure out what's wrong. In my mind wondering if any of the other bassists were there and would let me borrow a head. I turn it off, and in a totally desperate move I unplug the amp from the power strip and put it directly into the outlet. Voila power!!! Get my bass back on, and come in on time at the bridge.

But it's freaked me out and now I'm worried (even though I am 90% positive it was a bad power strip from the club) that it's gonna loose power in the middle of another rehearsal or a set. Again, I don't know how well this amp has been treated in the past. So it's going into the shop, just a maintenance pit stop to give the whole thing a once over, check the filters and caps, do a bias check, get everything cleaned out. I'm dropping it off tomorrow and it'll be out of my possession for about a week.

Charley Umbria likes this.
  6. Good idea. Most likely as you suspect. ..power strip. But still, good idea.

gsgbass likes this.
  7. west al

west al Road Rex Supporting Member

I had a power strip go me. They do only last for so long, and should be replaced after a few years.

8. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Took it in to my local amp tech, he's also the Authorized Mesa amp tech in the area and all around tube amp guru. I dropped off and saw so many old tube Fenders, an Ampeg V4. And I'm already glad I did despite the fact I am pretty sure this will end up costing me money. For starters, I had taken a peak of the tubes in question and thought they were original Sylvania's. Now it appears two are Sylvania's and two are likely Sovteks, and they are not in the right spots. So he's gonna do a tube test but it's most likely going to wind up getting 4 matched JJ power tubes. He's also going to check the filter caps, and they are gonna get replaced if they have not already.

Ductapeman likes this.
  9. Ductapeman

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    kbakerde, as I have learned, sometimes getting it done right ends up being worth a bit of money in the long run-- your amp will sound so much better.

kbakerde likes this.
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I had a Bassman 100T for a time - but I just never wanted to haul it anywhere when I have a 4-lb GK MB500 for cover band gigs. I still wanted a "vintage" looking/sounding rig though - sold I sold the 100T and used to money to get a 500 and a Rumble v3 115. I changed the logo on the Rumble to a "blackface" one to match the head better. Honestly - the head is great but the jury is still out on the Rumble 115. I haven't actually used the Rumble at a gig yet (done several with the Bassman 500 into two Genz Benz Focus 115's). Need to mess with it some more.

Woodyrig_zpshvou7afb.jpg

sneha1965, RedVee, rodl2005 and 2 others like this.
  11. So how's the 500 compare to the 100T? I'm loving my Super Bassman, but given that every gig is run DI out, I'm wondering if the 500 would be just as good.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Bassman 400 owner here...... along with flats and a tort guard. :D rig.jpg

gsgbass, kbakerde and Ductapeman like this.
  13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    The 100T did sound "better" - but not enough to notice at a live gig in my opinion. With the 100T the DI signal is taken off of the power section - which they did to get some power tube character into it. However, that means changing the master volume on the amp changes the DI level. From the block diagrams - the Super Bassman is just like the 500 - you'll get the tube preamp at the DI but that's it. So basically as far as the DI the two are exactly the same.

14. west al

west al Road Rex Supporting Member

You may find out how good a Super Bassman performs when you don't play through the DI. A tube bass amp hols it's own.

rodl2005 likes this.
  15. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not disputing that - mic'ng up an all-tube rig would be the best sound - he said he runs DI though, as do I.

If you meant having the bass amp "carry the room" rather than run it through the PA - there are several reasons why that's a bad idea.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  16. Ductapeman

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    I have usually used the stage rig to provide stage volume for the drummer, and fill for the dance floor (in some of the larger clubs) and the area immediately inside the PA dispersal, and the PA takes the rest of the room. Seems to work fairly well-- I get enough poop from the amp to make me feel like I'm playing, but nobody gets blown out.

17. Preference would definitely be to mic up my cab, but I'm not finding many sound guys willing to do that. Most just want a di feed to the desk. I am contemplating getting a Radial JDX so I can at least run it post speaker out.

tbirdsp likes this.
  18. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Getting my amp back on Tuesday next week. And the bill won't be cheap. From what I was told over the phone I have 4 new power tubes (matched, installed, biased), 1-2 new preamp tubes, a totally new filter cap section, a couple screen resistors, a couple other caps that had blown, and a new hum pot which burned out.

All in all, a LOT got replaced. It'll cost me as much as the whole amp cost me in Dec. Although the total is still half what a 100T would cost me. So I think it's a good deal for me. Should be louder, less distortion and less noise. I like it!!!

rodl2005 and Ductapeman like this.
  19. bathnapkin

bathnapkin

May 28, 2011
    sneha1965, GreaserMatt and rodl2005 like this.
  20. If possible. ..get the old tubes off the tech. Most likely some are still good - very rare for all 4 to go - & you'll be able to keep a couple of good ol tubes either as spares or maybe sell em. (Which is what a tech may do if they are let to keep em).
    Congrats btw. Should be sweet one you get it.

kbakerde likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021