1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Fender MIJ/CIJ club here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eboe, Nov 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    CIJ = Crafted in Japan

DSCF0005.

Now, what that means exactly (if anything) compared to simply "Made in Japan" I'm not sure.

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    MIA= Made in America
    MIM= Made in Mexico
    MIJ = Made in Japan
    CIJ = Crafted in Japan

More recent Japan Fenders will be CIJ's, MIJ's are older. Not for export simply means its a MIJ/CIJ not intended to be sold in the US market.

Here's my soon to not look like this MIJ Jazz. I have a MIA Neck coming, new pickups, new tort pick guard, new pots, new tone control. This thing will come alive when I get it all together (by friday). Before and after clips will be posted.

[​IMG]

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My Geddy Lee sans pickguard:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy pic :)

4. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    this seems like a good place to ask this! but what do those 51 re-issues sound like? ive been told to expect something along the lines of a jazz neck pup solo'd, how much growl can you pull out of that?
    if it can still produce that p bass growl then i may be onto a cheap blue flower one my local has going!

By the way, By p bass growl, i simply mean like a maple necked p bass with the tone cranked up :)

5. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    geddy.

Herro.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The 51 reissue P's do not sound like a Jazz neck pup solo'd.
    I do have entensive experience with both;)
    They're not as "middy" as a regular P, but deeper, with broader frequency response, and clearer highs.
    I like the four string version enough that I built a 5 string version as well (thanks to Rodent here).
    Fenderjapanreissuescu-1.
    51TeleP_4.

7. Major Havoc

Major Havoc

Feb 15, 2005
    my geddy and p copy

8. Here's better shots of my 2006 CIJ 62 RI Jazz, and late 80's CIJ Precision.

hangingbasses.

9. Just got my vintage white Jaguar yesterday from Ishibashi.
    Here's a couple of not-so-good pictures; I'll take some better ones tonight :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Ishibashi seems to be popular around here. How much does shipping cost and why do you guys prefer Ishibashi over American dealers (ie: Musicians Friend, Bass Central, AMS, etc)?

11. [​IMG]

This is my 1991/1992 MIJ 72RI, now I know what you fellas are thinking... you think this is a 75RI, well we would both be correct in a since. The neck has 75RI on it but the body's neck pocket says 72RI, this is how it came from the factory and off the shelf at the ole Bass Centre in L.A., this is an old pic. I have replaced the old jazz bass sytle knobs with Fender "Tele" style knobs for I like those better over the p-bass style. Jaco used the p-bass style, Marcus Miller uses the tele-style, so thats what I went with. I will be adding a Leo Quan bridge, new pickguard... more than likey will be black and a neck pickup cover.

I heard that "Fender" would not allow Ishibashi to sell to it's American counterparts. Does anyone know of a way around this? I was so in hopes of buying a 62RI p-bass from them but I have yet to find anywhere I could get one unless it was used. :crying: Any ideas fellow members?

If I am accepted please PM my member number and I shall apply it accordingly. Thanks!

Peace,

12. Several reasons for that in my case.
    1) I'm in Europe, not the USA, so we get butt-raped on the price of pretty much every music gear. For example I paid 600 EUR shipping costs included (100 EUR for shipping) while the same instrument would have cost me 849 EUR if I had ordered it from Thomann.de, which is one of the cheapest stores in the EU.
    2) In the case of the Jaguar bass, I didn't want red nor black, which are the only 2 colors available outside of Japan. Fender Japan offers many more models than Fender Mex or US do.
    3) Ishibashi's service is great; they usually answer any question you might have quite quickly; their customer service is quite awesome. Check out the pics here to see how the bass was shipped : http://membres.lycos.fr/chumps/music/myjag/.
    4) IMO Fender Japan offers the best price vs quality ratio of any Fender instruments.

13. D K

D K

Jan 8, 2007
    Can I play? Got her last Wednesday and she is already barking up a storm:D

Geddy.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Nice toybox;)

15. I know mate. When I'm bored of playing the Jaguar I keep myself busy with Duplos :D

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Duplos; Legos, it's all good!

17. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I want a Geddy. Too bad they don't make a Geddy 5, that would be fun.

18. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    1986 60's Reissue
    1985 Precision

Love em all!

Attached Files:

19. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Time to play then......pickup a MIJ/CIJ 5 string, a Badass Bridge (assuming they make a 5 string), a white pickguard and some spray paint and have ass at it.....:D

20. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like fun. Maybe if I can find a Maple FB Black 5-string Jazz for under $700, maybe.