Official Guitarron Club and Discussion!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el_Bajo_Verde, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Wow, I just watched this video. This guy is amazing!

bobyoung53 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  2. It has arrived! :D:bassist:

Looks exactly like the photos I posted already, however I snapped some pics of the strap locks and padded gig bag. It was packaged extremely well, nothing could have harmed this bass during transit. It was slightly detuned when it arrived, which makes sense. The treble strings need some time to stretch, also as expected. Strap locks are huge, had to cut the hole on my strap a tiny bit to fit it. Tuners work fine, they're not difficult to turn. It seems like the gear ratio is really high because it takes more turns than what I'm used to on my electric basses. The action is indeed mile-high but the strings seem to be flexible so I have no problem fretting. The strings don't hurt my fingers like I thought they would.

When played one string at a time, it's still louder than an acoustic bass guitar!! But when you play the octave together, it really SINGS!! I can hear the windows and small knick knacks rattling when I hit certain notes. I think that's what we all want, right? :thumbsup:

arWZxjp.jpg

ytpsCTn.jpg

erSVdoC.jpg

It's very light weight, the straps are placed very appropriately, and it is very comfortable to play sitting or standing. The body and fretboard face upward at an angle with the strap, different from an electric which is usually perpendicular to the ground.

I've gotta say, I'm impressed! I was honestly expecting a fragile, crudely-made, uncomfortable beast of an instrument. But it's the total opposite!

It doesn't fit either of my stands though, so I'll have to do some research on that...

3. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Congrats! Looks really great. Yeah, they can be LOUD when played with that traditional technique. Gotta be able to project when you're playing with all those horns and violins! I've used mine in some no-PA acoustic coffee-house settings with singer-songwriters and I had to be careful not to swamp the guitars;)
    Have fun!

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  4. Has anyone here ever heard of/bought something from this site?
    Paracho Guitar | Pelacuas - Guitarrones
    Their two most expensive models are still extremely affordable and from the pictures look like they're pretty well made.

5. Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  6. Well I just placed an order with paracho guitars. Will report back in a few weeks with my impressions.
    If it looks anything like their sample pictures I'm going to be very happy

7. I can honestly say that if I had found that store sooner, I would have bought one (and one of their other instruments, too!)

But I'm happy with the one I got, and it's a quality product. These things are much too large to have more than one of. Plus, my wife would have my head! :roflmao:

8. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    He sure did. :)

2016-09-21_8-11-26.jpg
    2016-09-21_8-15-39.jpg

9. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Really looking forward to hearing about your guitarron. Paracho looks to be just about the closest thing to buying directly from the makers. My guess is that they simply act as a conduit for selling locally produced instruments online and probalby take a cut. Cutting out the distribution is just about the only way I can see them being able to sell them so affordably.

They really have the look of the classic guitarrons complete with irregular wood grains and that great classical guitar style headstock.

10. That's what it seems like. I put a 50% deposit, they're having it built and shipped sometime next week and I pay the second 50% after delivery. If the quality isn't garbage in going to suggest they put their name out more and list some instruments on reverb

11. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I only saw and heard a guitarron once on vacation in Florida and I have been fascinated ever since.
    The Mariachi band was "mobile" and I got a brief dose of loud clear bass tone I could actually feel.
    Given the anemic output of abg's I have played and heard, the impression has never left me.

12. Going to order some new strings from Guadalupe strings Guitarrón Sets

However, I'm not sure which ones to get for my bass strings. There's Silvered Copper, Brass, Phosphor Bronze, Classic Copper, and Red Copper. Any opinions on these materials? Which ones hold up best and sound best?

The strings I have now sound very "metallic" and a bit clangy so I'd like to change them. I've seen these strings recommended often online so I will try them out.

13. Should have a tracking number for this bad boy by the end of the day
    image001.png image002.png

14. ¡Órale! I grew up in San Diego, so mariachi bands are one of the things I miss about being out there. Not a lot of them out here in New England.

15. New strings arrived a few days ago! Haven't had a chance to put them on til now.

On a side note, the guitarron holds tune for an extremely long time! Haven't had to tune it in forever, just the nylons once in a while.

NbPvqvf.jpg

Here is the construction of the nylon strings I had on before.

mXYD6Zw.jpg

And here are a couple of the new bass strings and one new nylon string. The new nylon string has different constuction.

rudfTS9.jpg

Unfortunately, I broke the Bass A-string! Installation was easy but I got lazy and ham-fisted on the A-string and bent it :banghead:

So I will order another bass set.

16. Bunan

Bunan

May 27, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    Forgive me if this is naive but I am fairly new to Bass guitar. I tried playing guitar back in '95 but my teacher kept getting pissed and yelling at me for only soloing on the bottom three strings near the bridge. He kept shaking his head and shouting above the amp "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"
    So I quit lessons and a year or two later I quit music.
    Last year (after a 20 year absence) I decided to give it another shot. I went to my local guitar store here in Moscow and tried a few guitars. I remembered very little but the salesman after hearing me try a few things suggested that I was probably a bass player. Wish someone had told me (or I had had the good sense to realize) that 20 years ago.
    So now I play acoustic bass guitar. I like to sing with just the bass accompanying me.
    And recently had the frets of my Dean ABG taken out and put on some tapewounds and love the new sound though chords are now next to impossible.
    My question after that huge unneeded background lifestory is whether or not the Guitarron could be used as a solo instrument. I am not interested in Mariachi but rather a loud bass that could be played acoustic. I like the playing in octave idea but does it need to be octaves? Can it be played with 5ths or 7ths or some such as well? I think it might be a nice instrument for what I am looking for but since I have to have one shipped from Germany I don't want to buy one without knowing if it is what I am looking for.
    Any thoughts?

17. In my opinion, anything can be used as a solo instrument. The guitarron sings out best when played in octaves, but the 5ths and 7ths idea is interesting. I'll try it when I get home.

Bunan likes this.
  18. Bunan

Bunan

May 27, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    Thanks, I would love to know what you discover. I am very interested in this instrument and just looking for a reason to pull to the trigger and buy one.

19. Guitarron club? you can count me in. Got mine three and a half years ago...

DSCF5765.JPG

20. I can confirm that 5ths snd 7ths sound great as well! Lots of possibilities!

Nice! sometimes I think I should have gotten a more traditional guitarron, I like the bridge more. Does yours have strap pins?

I also like how most guitarrons I see have a sticker or are personalized in some other way.

instrumentalist likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021