Official Guitarron Club and Discussion!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el_Bajo_Verde, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mine doesn't have strap pins. Always thought of "upgrading", but haven't got around to do so yet.

My guitarron is a "Lucida". I think, that's the only brand available in Europe actually.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  2. Bunan, I play my guitarron like a "normal" bass guitar, no octaves-playing. also, other intervals, e.g. 7ths, don't really work that well in my opinion. that's due to the very short scale length, which is about 66cm (a fender strat scale measures approx. 65cm), and the fretless fingerboard. this makes orientation on the fingerboard pretty tough. But yes, it's pretty loud, and thereby also delivers a very bassy sound. when really digging into the strings, it's possible to keep pace with an upright piano.

Are you thinking of ordering from the big southern German seller (T**mann)? They are also stocking a rather cheap ABG (HB B-30) in jumbo-style, which can keep up with steel string acoustic guitars, especially when played with a pick, but it's naturally not as bassy sounding as the guitarron. I have both, the guitarron (Lucida brand), and the ABG (Harley Benton brand), and i'd say for playing intervals, or double-stops respectively, the jumbo-style ABG could be a better fit, but mileages may vary.

3. Bunan

Bunan

May 27, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    Yeah, I thought they looked like the way to go for a Guitarron in this part of the world. Recently, I have been watching some videos of the HB resobass and that thing seems loud and twangy. It might work rather nice as well. I will probably still get a Guitarron for just messing around and because I do love bassy sounding things.
    I'll check out the B-30 as well.
    Thanks for all the help everyone!

4. Bunan

Bunan

May 27, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    I am not sure if this is the place for it but I still like the Guitarron idea but I have fallen in love with the resobass sound. What is the feasibility of putting a four string neck on a guitarron and then dropping a resonator into the body? It would be big as hell and to my thought-process quite loud.
    I have no idea what is involved in converting an acoustic bass (or guittaron) over to be a resonator and no idea where to begin looking but if I buy a cheap guitarron I can see myself eventually beging tempted to try it.

5. It seems like the body of the guitarron is what makes it so loud...they tend to cost more than a regular bass, even the cheapest one I found was like $350. I can't imagine how much more it would cost you since you are in Europe

6. Bunan

Bunan

May 27, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    A Lucida one is around 275 Euro. So yeah more expensive than a cheap ABG. Unfortunately I don't have a store around to go and test a guitarron out. I have to mail order from another country. So I am just looking at some options in case I find the guitarron unplayable for me.
    It is easier to justify taking the chance if I knew I could do something with it if I didn't like it as is.

7. I've got a problem! I don't know if anyone else has this issue...

The action at the nut is really high, which hasn't been a big problem until now since I am learning the sharp/flat notes.

Notes such as Eb or F require that I press down really close to the nut, but the nut is cut so high on my guitarron that I come up almost a half-step sharp. Should I just bring it to a luthier? The nut is wood and I don't want to mess it up.

What do you guys have for action at the nut?

My action at the nut is 4/32" and I'd like to get it down much lower, but I don't want to make it unplayable either.

8. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    Just bumped into this thread.

Guitarrons are cool cool cool. There are a lot of not traditional applications for the instrument. While they are far louder than an ABG, they are not as articulate. Completely different instruments. With practice, you can jazz, rock, folk, funk, country, your way into lots of interesting musical directions with this instrument. Cheers to @el_Bajo_Verde for making this leap.

To @Bunan , the guitarron is tricky with those intervals you mention because of the short scale and lack of frets. Tight intervals like sevens are pretty dicey. Fives work, but the octaves are just so cool, you want to stick with them. At least I do.

Now, you may find this old news, but there is more to Mexican music than Mariachi, just as there is more to American music than, say, Blues. And you can find instruments that go with those genres as well. This might be difficult to find in Russia, but the instrument that I think matches your needs is the Bajo Sexto. I use this for Norteño and Conjunto styles (Mexican) as well as acousti USA styles. It's like a 12 string guitar, but tuned an octave down like an 8 string bass. Traditional style tuning is EADGCF but you can do whatever you want. This instrument has gone from bass guitar style accompaniment to the main rhythm guitar in northern Mexico. Some guys are doing solo vocal with just Bajo Sexto accompaniment and it sounds terrific. Don't know about availability in Russia, but there a number of manufacturers like Parajo that sell internationally. I use Fortaleza. Note: most Mexican guys use a Bajo Quinto these days, without the low E course. Modern Norteño doesn't use it these days.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the Guitarrón thread. Let's hear more Guitarrón stuff!

Bunan, HaphAsSard and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  9. That's great information, @Max Blasto

I'm actually interested in a bajo sexto and a vihuela, but I already have an electric bass, an acoustic guitar, a guitarron, and a ukulele. I have enough stringed instruments for now!

10. You know all that "high action" talk? Well FORGET IT!

My action at the nut was ridiculously high, so I finally took it to a great luthier near me. He lowered the action at the nut and now it plays like a dream! So effortless to hit every note! This makes it a 1000x better instrument!

The action at the nut is so low, I need a feeler gauge to measure it!!!! My .010" feeler gauge just barely fits. The action at the end of the fingerboard is 12/32" though, but past the nut every note is so easy to fret.

If anyone is having trouble with high action at the nut, take it to a good luthier and get it taken care of!

7615 and Max Blasto like this.
  11. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego

Cool! Remember, action at the nut can be approached like a fretless electric bass: Low is perfect cuz you ain't got no frets. High action helps with sustain, but with a Guitarron, that doesn't matter much cuz the pitch is so high and the body so deep.

Rock on! Or should I say ¡Orale!

12. Hello all! The guitarron is still going strong! Though I'd eventually like to sell this one and upgrade, as the bridge on mine is not very good! I'm scared to sell though because it will likely break during shipping...

But anyway, I've got a question! As I mentioned before, my action is nice and low now. I have noticed that my "fretted" notes are quieter than notes played on an open string. Is this normal?

13. Hello guitarron lovers! I, too, am fascinated by the guitarron. One day, I hope to possess one of my own. Here in Europe, it'll probably be the Lucida.

14. From half a lifetime of playing the violin and the viola, I would say this is normal for an acoustic instrument. You just have to compensate for it with your plucking hand.

Edit: I just realize, the open strings are not only louder, but also have a different timbre than the "fretted" notes. Brighter, with more sustain. This on violin and viola, how about the guitarron?

15. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I’m considering a guitarron.
    I’m left handed. It looks like these usually have bridges that aren’t compensated, is that correct? That would make it easy to string lefty (I hope).

16. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That's true about the bridge. There actually isn't a saddle on a Guitarron bridge. the strings comes right out the holes onthe side of the wood bridge. I assume the holes are all the same size, but I don't know for sure.

However, note that the nut might have to be changed. I've never heard of a lefty guitarron nut, but any luthier should be able to make you one.

Matt R. likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021