Official Hooker's Green Bass Machine Club

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ross McLochness, May 24, 2015.

1. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I've been on TalkBass for around three years, but have never started a club.
    Hard to do so when you have Fender Select Precision with Chromes and a MarkBass CMD103.

That said, I'm starting the official One Control Hooker's Green Bass Machine club.
    I love this pedal.
    Ross McLochness - HGBM #1

HGBM.jpg

2. .
    I have one on order. I'm hoping it'll arrive this week.
    They sound awesome by all accounts!
    I'll be using it with my US Precision, through a Fender Super Bassman 300 and fEARful 1212/6 or Genz Benz Uber 410.

(BTW, I don't want to join the club, just praising this pedal in advance, you know? ;) )

3. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    You mean my new club hasn't yet exceeded the REDDI Maxi-Thread???..... Ha ha ha

JimmyM - for the sake of my "club" please post a glowing review of the HGBM...HA HA Ha

4. Joeynone

Joeynone The Neon Skyline Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I def need a number In this club... I actually started the review thread on this bad boy!

5. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    joeynone is #001.
    Ross McLochness is #002

6. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Don't want a number, but here's mine on my board.

IMG_4248_zpsutc5rrci.jpg

Ross McLochness likes this.
  7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I wish someone would do a Blueberry v Hookers Green video with the same set up.

Definitely on my to check out list

Down_Low likes this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I think @johnk_10 has the means to do just such a thing!

9. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I am intrigued by this pedal, but I find it strange that it would be so hard to actually purchase in the USA.

10. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd like to try this pedal, and put it heads up with my BJFE 3BOD.
    Couldn't find one in stock anywhere.

11. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    Mine shipped today....Have by thursday!!

12. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    That's odd. I ordered one within Australia and it arrived within 24 hrs.

13. Yeah I'd definitely like to see that. I'm tossing up between the two.

14. .
    To be honest, I'm not totally sold on mine yet.
    It sounds good playing by myself here at home at not-so-loud volume, but it seems to lack the level of gain I was hoping for. I'm worried it'll be lost in a band mix at loud volume being so warm sounding.
    I'll give it a shot at rehearsal tonight before I pass my final judgement.

15. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    I posted about this in the other thread, it did get lost in the mix for me before I turned up the treble to maybe 2-3 oclock. I'm loving it now.

16. BassLaird

BassLaird

Apr 4, 2015
    Savannah, GA
    Second "loud" rehearsal with mine last night. I think it sounds great in the mix. The overdrive almost disappears if I play soft. My OCD cut through too much and sounded thin/harsh. The Hookers really fattens things up for me. Turns my super clean funky sounding SWR amp into a "tubey" sounding rock amp. I have the treble all the way up, Level a little beyond 12:00, the gain mostly at 9:00 for a mellow growl, more aggressive when I dig in. I put a OKnob/ "option knob" on the gain so I can change it on the fly for some songs.
    - The bass "boost" trim knob on the side is all the way off for me. No extra bass needed.Love this pedal!
    64366437.JPG

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    ObsessiveArcher and ChefKen like this.
  17. Ha! Great minds think alike. ;)
    This is almost exactly what I did last night with the punk sounding band I'm in!
    I ended up with the Level at just past 12 o'clock, Treble at about 4 o'clock (with the Tonestyler tone control on my Jazz at about half) and Drive at 2 o'clock.

I have a rehearsal with another band I'm in that plays heavy stoner rock sort of stuff, in which I play my Precision tuned down to D#.
    It'll be interesting to see how the Green Machine goes with them and how much I need to tweak the settings.

Side note: I had my new Maxon BD-10 to try out last night as well for the first time. It's very good, but not as warm as the Green Machine, which is the sound I really like.

18. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    No contest - get the Blueberry unless you are desperately short of board space!

19. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    You must have both......Whats the biggest difference??

20. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Blueberry has a bit more bass and clarity, and reacts to my playing style better... Although the differences are very subtle.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021