Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Official "I Bought This On Talkbass" thread.

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by SMASH, Apr 18, 2003.

1. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    If I may say so, here's the (official?) "I Bought This On Talkbass" thread.

I'm thinking MEGATHREAD - an ongoing chronicle of what people have bought from other Talkbassers (either though Talkbass classifieds or via other places).

The original "For Sale" posts get deleted and the "Got a new bass!" threads are long forgotten and/or are hard to find, whereas here we'll have a central thread for happy endings and pics of gear in new homes, perhaps some cautionary tales, prices over time, shipping and packing methods, duties and taxes charged, and an idea of who is (or perhaps isn't) good to deal with ... anything related to buying and trading with other Talkbassers, for good or ill.

OK. Go !

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Technically, this wasn't bought off of Talkbass, but I got it from Brad Johnson after he said he was selling them on Talkbass. So, I guess this qualifies as a Talkbass buy.

Sadly, the bass isn't mine, but the speaker cabinets are.
    [​IMG]

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    While it's not a bass, I bought this guitar from Peter McFerrin through the classifieds.

4. Got this pair of used underwear from Smash for a steal!

[​IMG]

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I bought a MIM jazz (pic attached) from BoongishMang awhile back, and it was overall a good experience. He had trouble shipping, but once he got it away, it was great. It arrived very well packed and just as described. He gave me a great deal in the first place too. That's now gone to 1puttbassman at the 'pit.

-----------

I bought RHarder's sm400s a few months ago, and that transaction went exceptionally. We made the deal, I payed him, and in a few days I had the head. UPS std. got it from Edmonton to Niagara Falls in under 48 hours too. Great to deal with him.

------------

I bought Mad Subwoofer's BBE sonic maximiser about a month ago, and that was also a great transaction. Again, he shipped very quickly and the unit was just as expected. I've talked to him in the forum and by email before too, and he's a great guy. Top notch TB'er.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I bought a Bartolini M34C from Daniel Elliott. The dealings were quick and easy. He had more several Barts for sale...wish I'd bought more from him.

7. I have bought a Tech21 Bass Compactor from SMASH, that went smoothly, he even sent me a free Stoke CD!

A Dod Delay pedal from KB, that went smoothly, despite fears from him that my money might arrive in the middle of his holiday.

An Ibanez phaser from cjgallen, again all went smooth.

And a Boss Limiter from Aaron Gills (I forget his TB username :oops: ).

All went smoothly, despite me having to use a Money Order rather than anything like PayPal.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Heyyyy, those are MY underwear.....SMASH! HAVE YOU BEEN SELLING MY UNDERWEAR AGAIN?

I swear..........

9. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    what about the other thread just like this?

anyway, my carvin R600 I bought from Planet Boulder. He was a cool guy, and the head appeared in perfect condition.

I need to search the classifieds more often....might be some good stuff I need just around the corner!

10. Got a great steal (at least I think so) from a guy on this board who's name escapes me.

A couple of months back a guy posted classified ads for a Peavey 410, a ART Nightbass SGX, and the ART midi controller footboard.

By responding rather quickly, and the fact that we lived close enough to each other to close the deal in person the next day, I scored all of it for $250. :bassist:

11. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Sorry man. Everybody's got to make a living somehow. And your g/f said you'd never notice anyway. :eek:

Kildar, that other thread was meant more to be a discussion of buying & selling at Talkbass in general (and possibility of instituting feedback of some kind) which led me to the idea of a dedicated chronicle such as this thread.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I got a DiMarzio dp123 Jazz Pickup from PortraitofTracy, and a set of D'Addario Half-Rounds from 5stringdna.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

from PatrickJ in perfect condition so cheaply I almost feel it was the monthly rental fee not purchase price. :D

14. I've got a Plush head (generic Kustom) and a speaker cab (1-15") from JeffreyG. Class act all the way. A TB asset!!
    Actually, he was just letting me borrow it while my rig was in the shop.:D He has yet to come pick it up. It'll probably be a while now that he has a newborn.

15. long before i ever registered for talkbass, i bought an ibanez 6string fretless from dave grossman... i think i spelled that right. we got together off of www.craigslist.org and we were both in berkeley. nice guy. i think he was selling it to put a down payment on some bazillion stringed monster.

he gave it to me for a steal. it sounds and plays great.

16. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I bought a DeArmond Pilot Deluxe 6 stringer from Planet Boulder. Every thing went off with out a hitch. He was a very cool guy to work with, and the bass is even cooler.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I placed an order for a Darrin Huff Zero-5, and I learned about Darrin from TB... does that count?

Yeah, this is like the third time I've announced this, but I'm psyched!

I've also bought a bunch of TB t-shirts (see avatar).

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Bought this one from Woodchuck. He included a couple CDs and some extra SIT strings. One of the CDs had some Primus stuff and some stuff from Woodchuck's band. I liked Woodchuck's stuff better.
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

19. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I got this nice Ray from Jivetkr.
    I also got a MIJ Marcus Miller Jazz Bass from GetthoBrassGuy and I'm waiting for a pickguard for my Miller from 5stringDNA:D
    [​IMG]