1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Landing Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Nov 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada

Hey vrock38 mine's just like that but with a "crocodial" pick guard....actually there is a photo of it on Jimmy's website....the first one Jimmy built me was too heavy so it was sold to a Doctor who has quite a few Landing basses already, so he built another...so I can't say mine is the first one with that unusual pickguard on it but....

2. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Very nice! Is it a 30 or a 32?

3. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Yeah, 30" LDS2 Arctic white with "crocodial" pickguard

4. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I'll take #6 with ol' sparklehead here:
    3-fulloncaseWEBJUSTINPRAY.jpg

Love this bass. Haven't lusted over another since.

Bassplayer315 likes this.
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Awesome.

1 - ::::Bassist::::
    2 - banditcosmo
    3 - DWest1981
    4 - Loopee
    5 - vroc38
    6 - wideyes

6. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Hey ::::Bassist:::: have you got your Landing yet ?

Was just on the Landing site, check out this bass:

Landing

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Yep, thats my baby. Its currently enroute and I expect it to arrive next week sometime.

It will likely be the last bass I buy for a long, long time.

8. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I've been looking for a good quality light weight shortscale bass. Obviously these are good quality. Are they light weight? Does anyone know how much their Landing bass weighs?

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I believe mine's 8LBS.

10. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    That is one gorgeous bass man!
    I'm seriously considering trying a proper shortscale soon, and Jim's prices ain't too shabby!
    Really like the new 4 in line headstock too.

How does the bass sound? I bet it's enormous! ;)

Eude

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ I'm hoping it will arrive this week. Jimmy thinks that for my tone goals I'll likely roll the tone pot virtually off. I usually have at half with my Stambaugh Jazz with DiMarizo Model J pups. The DS does have a strong midrange and the new Chromes on it are likely why Jimmy thinks I'll roll down the tone control. However, I plan to put my 3 year old Chromes on it and that should help it thump nicely without rolling the tone control to off.

12. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Very nice dude.
    Well congrats, it's a gorgeous bass :)
    I'll hang around here for some more info once you've actually got it.

Cheers,]Eude

13. banditcosmo

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Hey ::::BASSIST::::,

Did you get your Landing yet ? Can't wait to hear about it and to see some pick of your bass. Jimmy sometimes sends me pics of his latest builds but have not seen yours yet.

Here's my L30P that's he building for me:
    fretless with ebony fingerboard
    trans red burst edge finish
    black hardware
    Neck with custom marker lines plus dots on the side
    red tortoise guard
    EMG P with a BTC control unit

Unfinished:

attachment.jpg

trans red

attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

Bassplayer315 likes this.
  14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ She just arrived today!

I'm happy to report that the bass has arrived without incident.

I took her right from the post office to a rehearsal. Nice bass! Definitely looks fantastic. The action is great (ie nice and low with no buzz). The finish is really cool and I'm going to do my best to keep it looking in top condition. The tone was on the bright side and I did roll off the tone knob all the way. However, I think alot of that has to do with the new Chromes. I think I'm going to put my 3 year old Chromes on there and I'm betting that will take alot of that zing out. I found my current strap is too short with this bass so I'll buy a new longer one. At rehearsal the bass was on my upper chest too much and it was not ideal in terms of combfort like that. I'm sure I'll work that all out and get her sitting nicely.

Jimmy built me a great bass and I'm thankful for that. It will likely be my last bass for a long, long time.

I'll report more info once I've spent more time with her. As for pictures, I think I've posted quite a few of those already. :cool:

But yeah, I'll have to take one of my own with my amp and cab.

15. banditcosmo

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Great ! Glad you are liking your bass. Jimmy sent me an email with your email to him and the pic's you posted. Looks great. Is it lighter in person ? Looks very dark in the pics.

16. banditcosmo

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    OK guys what color hardware should I use black or gold ? Jimmy is putting a black burst around the edges of the bass. It's also going to have a dark ebony fretless board. I'm leaning towards black but I do like gold too.

attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

• 1111.jpg
      1111.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
  17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Definitely black IMO. I love black.... as you may have guessed from my tele bass.

And yes my Landing is fairly dark. On a dark stage will likely look black. However, in the sunlight its easy to tell that its two tone. At some point in the future I may buy a white pearl pg to create a bit more definition. Or maybe black cherry. White pearl is something I've always like though. However, as Jimmy called me the "King of Dark" I do like it just the way it is.

I weighed her last night and she is 7.3LBS... which is nice and to anyone curious there is NO neck dive on this bass. I've read that there is a concern about that regarding this style of telebass, but no problem here.

18. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Yeah, you finally got her......can't wait to see it one of these days......7.3lbs is pretty good

19. fesem

fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    I have a new Landing in route at this moment, shipped yesterday. My first custom bass, you can imagine I am stoked. Jimmy has been great to work with, kept up with emails and pics, has been a great experience. Here is what I'm getting:
    L30T ------- (30.5") CUSTOM SHOP
    > Barden pickups
    > Audere preamp
    > Classic tri-tone sunburst
    > smaller pickguard (white pearloid) by Jeannie
    > Alder body
    > Ambered hard rock maple & rosewood neck
    > HIPSHOT Ultralight tuners 2+2 headstock>
    > HIPSHOT high mass bridge
    > Gotoh strap locks
    > double battery hatch 18v
    > low battery indicator
    > Z switch
    > TKL teardrop hard shell LOGO case
    > Strings = D'Addario EXL81M flats (chromes)

I'll try and post more pics and definately give a report when it arrives. Just finished up gigs for the year, taking a short break, but back at it Jan 8th, so gig report then. Please give me a number. Thanks.

Attached Files:

20. fesem

fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    Landing has arrived and is all I hoped it would be. Looks great, plays great, sounds great. Will post some pics. Jimmy did a fantastic job ambering the neck, really looks good and smooth as a you know what. Hopefully this tread is not dead as I would like to hear about other Landings and give Jimmy some props. Will BASSIST be back?