1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Landing Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Nov 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Awesome Fesem ! Your bass looks great. Did you pick out those pu's ? I haven't heard of Barden pu's. How do you like those large tuners ? My other Landing has the smaller tuners and I'm not sure about those larger ones. They look big in the pic.
    Cool to see another Landing in Va too.

Jimmy just sent me these pic's last night and mine is getting very close. Just waiting on a knob :bawl:

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

Jason Hollar and Bassplayer315 like this.
  2. fesem

fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    Bandit: That bass really looks great. I haven't played much frettless but have thought down the road I might be intereseted in getting a Landing P-bass. What scale is your bass, is it a 32". I really like that burst with the black bridge etc and tort guard. What kind of strings are you going to use. I thought the tuners looked a little big in the pic but in person they seem just fine, also my bass looks much better in person than the pics I was sent, and it looks good in the pics. I've been practicing with mine a lot in the last few days, can't wait to play it out in about 10 days. Greg at Rocket Music turned me on to the Bardens, I really like how they sound. How's the snow. Steve

3. Zonked

Zonked

Jul 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Wow!....stoked for guy guys. Them are some nice shorties. For those of you guys who have recently recieved one of Jimmy's basses, how long was the wait once you put your order in? Thanks

4. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Bassist has been banned from TB.....go figure....I guess it's not a "free" world....He's trying to get reinstated so cross your fingers......He says he likes his Landing but.....well, hopefully he'll be back to tell us more......

5. banditcosmo

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    It's a 30" scale. The strings are D'Addario chrome flat-round 105's. I'm using larger strings on it because the band I'm in tunes down a 1/2 step. The hard part now is the wait. I'm off work this week I wonder if Jimmy would mind me driving to Pittsburgh and picking it up in person ? Tempting.

No snow in C'Ville we only got about an inch.

6. fesem

fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    My wait was about 4 months from when I ordered. He wasn't able to start right away because of others in the queue. Worth the wait though.

7. Zonked

Zonked

Jul 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Thanks fesem,

Anyone els? How long did it take you to get your Landing Bass from when you placed your final order?

8. banditcosmo

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I think it all depends on your build. A DarkStar build would probably take longer since he'd probably have to order the pu's.
    My first Landing took about 2 weeks to get but that was because he had a bass that was close to being done and the guy that ordered could not pay him.

I'd email Jimmy and he can give you an idea on how long it would take. He's great with email's.

My L30P is either shipping tomorrow or Monday. He just put a few pics of it up on his web site. Can't wait to get it.

9. DWest1981

DWest1981 Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yeah, Landing T #2 is taking her sweet time, but not because Jimmy's slacking off on it. This is a prototype bass in many aspects; the Hipshot Telebass bridge, body shape and paint color and Aero single-coil pickups are all "experimental" and with that being the case, it's taking a while.

To be honest, Jimmy's probably more excited than I am to get the final parts (pickups) in and get the instrument assembled, and that's saying a lot! I can't say enough about his communications to now either, he's been keeping me up to date every step of the way.

Yeah, I can't wait to see, hold, feel and play the final product. Something tells me it's going to be rather amazing.

Or it could be a huge flop. We'll see!

Oh, and fesem, I think we can pretty safely consider member #7 of the Official Landing Bass Club... unofficially, of course, until the long-awaited return of the club founder.

DW

10. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    TBass #2 is finally together and now in the tweaking stages. I'm really excited to finally get my hands on her, but I think I'm going to miss the construction updates and such. It was lots of fun collaborating on this one with Jimmy.

[​IMG]

About all that's left to do is install the actual tuning machines and we'll have the finished product. Wow!

DW

11. eCowboy

eCowboy

Dec 2, 2007
    New York, USA
    Well, it took about 4 months but it was well worth the wait. My new L30T arrived this past Friday. I had apprehensions about the electronics as well as the gauge of string recommended by Jimmy but allowed his expertise to guide me and I am happy that I did. Jimmy Wilson was a pleasure to deal with and this L30T with Bartolini active/passive electronics exceeds my expectations.

Attached Files:

Jason Hollar likes this.
  12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Nice!

Yeah, Jimmy is a great guy to work with. Very quick with the email responses and just a nice dude in general.

In the end my Landing telebass just wasnt the right fit for me. I could never really dial in the strap level properly in the time I had it, but mainly the darkstar tone just wasnt working for me. Having a custom bass built with that pickup was a bit a gamble as I was only vaguely familiar with the DS tone. However, the bass was indeed beautiful and I have no complaints about the craftmanship whatsoever and certainly no issues with Jimmy's customer service which is very important to me..

13. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Sorry to hear that, Bassist. Did you turn it over already? I've found that my favorite tone with Darkstars is both on, with that mid-scooped jazz thing going on. Very rich and bassy. Just caught myself the other day considering ordering a 32" p-bass from Jimmy, then had to stop myself. I would love another Landing in the stable, though!

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Yeah she went a couple months ago. Mine had a single DS in the sweet spot.

Gorgeous bass though...

15. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I've found that, for all their sweet tone, Darkstars are still single coils at the end of the day, and running one single can be limiting tonally. Shame you didn't click with it, but I'm sure the new owner is stoked! If I'm ever in the market for another shorty, Jimmy Landing will have my business.

16. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    the new owner actually had it for sale on TB a month or two ago

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    But he pulled it and kept it last I heard.

18. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    So he did, that's true, I forgot about that.....

19. banditcosmo

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Just got an email from Jimmy with this awesome looking bass, man I wish I had the funds :(

9999%20---%20WEB%20JPG.jpg

Bassplayer315 likes this.
  20. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes it is. I think I've successfully fought off the urge, but those Lace pickups have me very curious. Fortunately my L30P is underway and I don't really need another instrument... not that I've ever really needed another instrument.

All the best,
    DW