1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Landing Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Nov 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Yes, most definitely the best customer service I've come upon.....wow....3 weeks and it hadn't even left the post office??????

2. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    yep yep!! Yeah god knows what happened, USPS lost it or sent it somewhere else.. typical lol

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Yes, He does know all. I sure hope this bass finds its way to your door no matter how circuitous the route. It would be a shame it you had to endure the wait time again while Jimmy crafts you another!

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I've been curious about landing basses for a while, but every time I Google or search TB, I can fin NOTHING as far as audio or video clips of these. I am very curious how they sound, and in this day and age it seems an oversight/missed promo opportunity for them not to have something online that will give our ears a taste.

5. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    True....but all the custom ones will be different.....different pickups, passive/active, strings........so many different sounds for those.....as for his "regular" basses it would definitely be nice to know what they sound like before you buy them......I completely agree.....anyone wants to enter some clips in this thread?

I have a custom one and I'll put in some sounds asap.......

6. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I did find a video on YouTube but there are no soundclips either......

7. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    I GOT MINE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I will upload some sound clips when ive had a chance to understand, the stacked knobs haha!

8. DWest1981

DWest1981 Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I've got a TBass, so describing the sound is difficult. It's a fully passive, dual single coil system that I've found can emulate everything from classic single-coil Precision to a very deep sort of Telecaster guitar sound on the D&G strings with the slanted bridge coil. Saying this thing is versatile is an understatement and even after a year of playing with it, I'm still learning what it can do.

DW

9. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Congrats Eupharies...enjoy

DWest1981....that sounds pretty darn good......

10. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Loopee,

Honestly I'm not sure if it's an amazing thing or just an interesting thing. With the neck pickup everything is nicely balanced between the strings, but getting used to each string sounding remarkably different with the bridge pickup takes a bit of work.

I have to confess though, the slant pickup wasn't Jimmy's idea, it was entirely mine... so I can't try to shift the blame for it to anybody else. That being said, it makes for some really cool soloing possibilities on the high strings and very articulate, very punchy sounds on the low.

DW

11. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Does the fact that it's slanted make that much of a difference? I had a Tele (guitar) many years ago and never really noticed the difference but maybe it being a bass with bigger strings might make it more obvious.......can't be all bad if it makes you work on your technique though, maybe.....he does have slant pickups on some other 3 pup basses, I wonder if those owners noticed a difference.....

12. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I notice a pretty significant difference, the E and A strings have lots of very well defined low end which almost completely vanishes into a very trebly, precise upper range on the D and G strings.

Really, I view it as a challenge of sorts and certainly something to use to an advantage. I won't mince words; I own three basses that I will never sell, this is one of them. It sounds amazing in many different ways, is a fun and fast player and I can't say enough about it. If I want to go back to basics all I have to do is roll the bridge pickup out and it's a first rate single coil bass.

Best,
    DW

13. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    does that difference still persist with all pups on?

14. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes, but it's less distinct. I haven't actually done much work with it like this... will have to refresh my memory when I get home this afternoon. They are RWRP, but I don't have anything in my practice space (living room) that produces a hum anyhow. I assume that they're reasonably hum-cancelling, not that this should also cancel the disparity between the strings through the bridge pickup.

DW

15. thomashawk

thomashawk

Jun 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    In the spirit of keeping the activity rolling on this thread, here are the latest photos from Jimmy for my Landing custom.

Black limba body wood (Terminalia superba), with quad-coil Aero M-series (CTPS) pickups with spalted Koa covers - to honor their Hawaiian origins. The hardware will be black.

I spend most of my time trying not to think about it too much. :hyper:

Attached Files:

16. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    that's really looking like a nice bass.....how long before it's ready? Waiting is hard isn't it?

17. thomashawk

thomashawk

Jun 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    Thanks loopee; btw, you're doing a great job w this thread.

I stopped guesstimating eta about a year ago. Although, it does seem Jimmy is pretty motivated to get this one out the door at the stage. The main hang-up was the pickups. I wanted a Darkstar at the neck position, and that proved to be a fool's quest.

It seems our final step here is the knob layout. I have an ACG EQ-02 (w passive tone control) as well as two rotary switches for the quads. Six knobs on a short scale w/o looking cluttered is no small feat. Jimmy said he had a "motif" idea that he was excited about, and I expect some new photos this weekend to approve the layout.

Having no experience w woodworking or electronics, this process has been an intense education in both.

18. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    thanks Thomashawk....haven't done much of anything on the thread....just trying to keep it alive so more TB'ers buy Landings and join us.....there has to be more than just 10 of us that have Landings.....

I just love one-offs....wish I had more $$ so I could have more built for me....Callowhill is on my wish list and a few others....I really enjoy choosing the wood, electronics, etc.....it's wonderfully creative and when all the parts come together and actually work like you had expected is pure joy....Jimmy will come up with something great for you I'm sure....I love his attitude and his joy in building the workingman(woman)'s bass.....

19. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    If anybody's interested in picking up a good-looking L30T, there's one on that auction website now. I am not at all affiliated with the seller, but if the reserve price is at all reasonable this could be an excellent buy for someone.

I really just want someone to buy it before I do... that's the only reason I'm putting it here.

Best,
    DW

20. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    I’ve had this lovely Landing T-bass for about a week now. All-in-all, the whole experience of working with Jimmy, from start to finish, was outstanding. I initially ordered an LDS2, but with the dissapearance of Fred Hammon, the LDS2 began to look like less and less of a possibility. After a year of waiting, it was clear that Fred was not coming back, so I asked Jimmy if he would be willing to make me a 3-pickup T-bass, to which he enthusiastically agreed.

It took a few months to get the middle pick-up custom made by Aero, but once Jimmy had all three pickups in-house, the build was lightning quick. I think Jimmy may be the hardest working luthier in the business. Throughout the process, communication was excellent – lots and lots and lots of progress pics.

On to the bass...

Trans oly white over 2-piece ash body, with matching headstock
    Maple neck, rosewood board, vintage frets
    Standard, "curvy" headstock
    3 custom Aero single coils, passive
    V/T/5-way
    hipshot lollipop tuners
    hipshot bridge

Fit and finish of the bass is perfect. The fretwork and the playability are as good as it gets – Jimmy even asked me how I usually play, and specifically set up the bass for pickstyle. The balance is perfectly flat on the leg and on a strap (no dive). If you prefer the neck to angle up, then one of Jimmy’s strat-inspired builds might be a better choice for you – the tele body style has the strap button around the 15th fret, so kudos to Jimmy for being able to make a well-balanced bass even though the upper horn is so short.

My favorite thing about this bass, without a doubt, is the sound. With three pickups, there are tons of tones, and all of them are good. These aero pickups are where it’s at – similar tone-wise to a ‘51P, but so articulate too. Already owning two birdsongs, I was beginning to think that shorties must have an inherently muddier tone (or perhaps woody and organic is the right description), but this Landing has shown me the light – it’s probably the best sounding bass I’ve owned (which is more than I care to admit!).

So all in all, a big thumbs up to Jimmy at Landing and to Aero pickups for providing a phenomenal product, hand-made here in the USA, at a very reasonable price. Were I to order again, there isn’t a thing I would change about this bass.

May I have a number now? :hyper:

Attached Files: